News:

Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Your first bible...

Started by Scott, February 09, 2012, 08:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

Mine was a RSV bible that someone bought me for Christmas one year. They forgot to check that it was a KJV or not. I got yelled at by sunday school teachers and kids in Sunday School for having the wrong bible.

I bought myself a KJV bible to use for quizzing - but for my 15th Birthday I was given a Thompson Chain Reference Bible. That was a kazilion years ago and I still have it.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Lynx

Literally yelled at?  :o

Mine was one I bought myself at a bookstore.  I miss it still.  Had the translations and references in the center column.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Niki

My paternal grandma bought me my first Bible for my 5th birthday. It was light blue. I don't remember what version it was.
When you say "Jesus" you've said everything.

Scott

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

The Purple Fuzzy

I have a small pink new testament with my name on it that my aunt got me when I was 5.  It has chew marks on the corner of the cover.  Not sure if I did that or maybe my little brother.

Heather

It's a KJV gift bible my uncle's parents bought me. They gave it to me Christmas of 87. I was 4. Still have it.
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

mini

I had a few bibles, but my first real bible was several years ago.  It was a Thompson Chain Reference bible that was a unexpected Christmas gift.
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Lynx

Who gave it to you and do they have any more?  :D
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

mini

Actually my parents gave it to me.  At the time it seemed like the first indication that they really acknowledged the calling God had put on my life.  And no, I doubt they have anymore to give out...lol

I was looking for a picture I took of the pages now, marked up, studied, preached out of...its not the same bible they gave me.  Its better now...
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

taco_harvell

I had several Bibles as a kid. However, my first Bible after getting the Holy Ghost is what I think of when I think of my first Bible. I wore that Bible out. I still have it put up at my parents house the binding broke several years ago so it now has a binding and cover made mostly of duct tape. I used it until my fingers started going through the paper as I would turn the pages. It will always be special to me.
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

Melody

The first one I remember was a white regular KJV.  I think I got it when I got the HG at age 5.  I don't have it any longer.  I did wear it out till it fell apart.  Which is kind of funny since I was just a kid.  I must have just been rought with it.  But I always underlined the sermon scriptures and SS scriptures.  I learned to take sermon notes with that Bible and write references on the sides.  I wish I still had it.  I remember at about age 10 wondering why people had such a hard time understanding KJV because I felt like I understood it just fine... lol  on the most basic naive level I'm sure.

Scott

Quote from: Scott on February 09, 2012, 10:47:35 PM
Quote from: Psalm_97 on February 09, 2012, 08:21:41 PM
Literally yelled at?  :o

Yes

You'd have to know the people I went to church with back then. KJV all the way or you were a sinner. Seriously!

I have KJV bibles, but on my Ipod Touch I have many translations and often use "The Message"  and "NIV" when I preach/teach in conjunction with the KJV.

When I teach / preach outside of UPCI churches, I use the "NIV" or "NKJV" in addition to "The Message".

The Never Ending Battle

Heather

The current bible I use is 'The Message'. Love it.
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali