News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

You Know You Live Alone When...

Started by RainbowJingles, April 15, 2010, 04:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Cold Water Kid

Isn't it disgraceful how Caucasian, or, more specifically, American families can't get along under the same roof? You don't see this nearly as often in Hispanic or Asian, or even African American families. There is something seriously wrong with us. :twocents:

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Quote from: The Cold Water Kid on May 18, 2010, 05:54:54 PM
Isn't it disgraceful how Caucasian, or, more specifically, American families can't get along under the same roof? You don't see this nearly as often in Hispanic or Asian, or even African American families. There is something seriously wrong with us. :twocents:

Another generalization... nice...

I don't think disgraceful is the word I would use...

Some people have very real and specified reasons for not wanting to be under the same roof as people they are related to for long periods of time...

I happen to be one of them... I don't find it disgraceful at all...

Those cultures are different... and while I have no issues with their way of doing things, I am not Hispanic or Asian, or African-American... and therefore, will not be compared to their cultures... and as long as I am not living in their countries, I will refrain from having to follow their rules and regs...  :cool:

Feed The Bachelors 2010

taco_harvell

Quote from: SippinTea on May 18, 2010, 05:30:03 PM
*wry grin* Paying rent doesn't make all the problems disappear. Don't ask how I know this.

:beret:

I know. But, I will have the weight of an apartment lease off my shoulders at least.
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

SippinTea

Quote from: taco_harvell on May 18, 2010, 07:19:46 PM
Quote from: SippinTea on May 18, 2010, 05:30:03 PM
*wry grin* Paying rent doesn't make all the problems disappear. Don't ask how I know this.

I know. But, I will have the weight of an apartment lease off my shoulders at least.

Good. :)

"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

Heather

Quote from: The Cold Water Kid on May 18, 2010, 05:54:54 PM

i find nothing disgraceful in the fact that my immediate family is made up of 4 [ok, well 3. my dad is super dependent on my mom] very independent people. and we respect each other, so therefore we live seperately. [well dad lives on his truck mostly, but when he's home he's with madre] doesn't mean we don't support and love each other. we each just need our space. can't find much of that in a 16 x 72 foot single wide trailer......
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

On top of all that... those other cultures you mentioned are very different in other ways, especially considering the family hierarchy.

Disagreeing with a Father or Grandfather, can mean being ousted from the family, and that is a scary thing for those friends I have, whose families are from those cultures.

And most American families are not perfect... I know mine isn't... lol.

Parents have the tendency to try and continue to parent their adult children when there is situation where an adult child needs to move back in... and that is not correct.

Once a child has grown they need to make their own decisions on things, and the parents, if they raised them correctly, should be able to trust their child's judgment, or else the parent did not do their job when raising that child.

A child is like a arrow in the parents quiver, it is the parents job to point and direct, lead and guide that arrow in the direction of God... train them up in the ways of the Lord... but at some point in time, the parent must draw back the bow, and let the arrow fly... Praying that they have done their best to lead their child in the correct ways of God.

It is near impossible to change the direction of that arrow once it has been shot...

Once that arrow is shot, it is now up to the arrow or the child...

Parents are a ship builder... and a launching pad for their children... but at some point in time, they must let them go... still praying for them, but their position does change in that child's life.

This is not my analogy, although I have added a little to it... it was something my Pastor preached...

My issue with adult children moving back home, or still living at home past a certain age... is that some, not all , but some parents never learn to let go... and still continue to try and treat their kids as if they are 15, when in reality, their kids are pushing 30 or older!

Taco - Thankful that you have parents who will allow you to move back in when you need to... and will allow you to pay rent. Definitely praying for you!

Barista - Agreed!  :grin:

Feed The Bachelors 2010

Heather

plus to add to Yooper's post

none of my family goes to church.....any kind of church....so me being apostolic creates ALOT of friction.....

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Quote from: baristagirl on May 19, 2010, 08:24:54 PM
plus to add to Yooper's post

none of my family goes to church.....any kind of church....so me being apostolic creates ALOT of friction.....

Great point!

Also one of my reasons... I am not sure which is worse though, staying with family not in any type of church, or staying with family who go to one of the denominational churches, which have come out against you leaving their system of theology, and going Apostolic... I just happen to have both! 

Feed The Bachelors 2010

Heather

i've got alot in my family who claim to have a personal walk with God and have created their own set of beliefs and attend no church, so therefore thats how the whole family should be.  :noo: it's so frustrating at times.