News:

Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

YOUth

Started by Gingerale, April 26, 2009, 06:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gingerale

So.... my hubby and I are young, and we are going to soon be working with the youth from our church. What are things that youth in the church are attracted to? As far as youth service fun. What's cool? What's not?  Gimme feedback, y'all!

Sis

Back home, the youth pastor would let those who really felt they had a call to preach preach on some youth nights. to get practice.

They did a lot of trips and things away from the church, just to bond as a youth group. They went to cabins of a saint in the church several times a year. Winter for sledding, summer for boating, etc. They had two cabins, one for the girls, one for the boys so it worked out. They had archery equipment up there and a lot of other things that are attractive to kids.

Or parties at the church. A youth banquet around the time of proms so the kids that don't go to the prom will have something formal for them.

It was important for the youth to bond as a group. Then they would pray for each other and in school, they'd stick together. And these outings were bonding experiences.

It helped that the youth pastor had a great sense of humor and was fully sold out to God. He would preach on topics that were relevent to what they were experiencing in their lives. Different school systems have different problems. Guns weren't such a problem back home but bullying was.

If a youth leader gets too accusatory, they will shut you out in the beginning and it will be hard to win them back.  He never did. He never called any of the kids out publically. If there was a problem, he handled it privately.

Kept the preaching short, had altar service every youth night. Taught them how to pray witrh people at the altar, and how to pray with children.

Our youth pastor took kids aside and talked to them one on one many times, just to see how they were doing in general and if they won anything in school, he'd make a big deal of it.

If I think of any more, I'll be back.

gospelgirl

great reply Sis
Also not sure how you would feel about signing teams but they seem like a big hit
and I see nothing wrong with them.Although someone(OLD I'm sure) complained so our pastor
doesn't allow it anymore unless for special services only once in blue moon. That's funny I complain
about things that should matter and it goes in 1 ear and out the other HMMMMMM

Sis

Deb, did you ever get to go to Newberg's cabins with the youth group?