News:

You can reach your profile and change its settings here.

Main Menu

"Just A Mom." What Do You Call Yourself?

Started by Mrs. Yosemite, May 10, 2008, 05:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrs. Yosemite

JUST A MOM

A woman, renewing her driver's license at the County Clerk 's office, was asked by the woman recorder to state her occupation.

She hesitated, uncertain how to classify herself.   

'What I mean is, ' explained the recorder,  'do you have a job ?'

'Of course I have a job,' snapped the woman. 'I'm a Mom.'

'We don't list 'Mom' as an occupation,'housewife' covers it,' Said the recorder emphatically.

I forgot all about her story until one day I found myself in the same situation, this time at our own Town Hall.  The Clerk was obviously a career woman, poised, efficient, and possessed of a high sounding title like, 'Official Interrogator' or 'Town Registrar.'  'What is your occupation?' she probed.

What made me say it?  I do not know.  The words simply popped out.   'I'm a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations.'

The clerk paused, ball-point pen frozen in mid air and looked up as though she had not heard right.   

I repeated the title slowly emphasizing the most significant words. Then I stared with wonder as my pronouncement was written, in bold, black ink on the official questionnaire.

'Might I ask,' said the clerk with new interest, 'just what you do in your field?'

Coolly, without any trace of fluster in my voice,
I heard myself reply, 'I have a continuing program of research, (what mother doesn't) In the laboratory and in the field, (normally I would have said indoors and out).   I'm working for my Masters, (first the Lord and then the whole family) and already have four credits (all daughters). 
Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humani ties, (any mother care to disagree?)
and I often work 14 hours a day, (24 is more like it).   
But the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers and the rewards are more of a satisfaction rather than just money.'

There was an increasing note of respect in the clerk's voice as she completed the form, stood up, and personally ushered me to the door.

As I drove into our driveway, buoyed up by my glamorous new career, I was greeted by my lab assistants -- ages 13, 7, and 3.  Upstairs I could hear my new experimental model, (a 6 month old baby) in the child development program, testing out a new vocal pattern.  I felt I had scored a beat on bureaucracy! 
And I had gone on the official records as someone more distinguished and indispensable to mankind than 'just  another Mom.' 

Motherhood!   What a career!   Especially when there's a  title on  the door.

Does this make grandmothers 'Senior Research associates in the field of Child Development and Human Relations'
And great grandmothers 'Executive Senior Research Associates?'   
I think so!!!   
I also think it makes Aunts 'Associate Research Assistants.'

MelodyB

Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

newkris

i think i've told this here somewhere before.  a few years ago i was going back into the work force after spending 7 years working at my kids school (teaching, but w/o a degree which means nothing to most people). 

i was intervieing at a placement agency and this cute 20-something with a degree and not much life said, "what is the most impressive thing you've done in your life?"

first reaction, "raised two boys to grown and no one has ever gone to jail."

she didn't know what to say. 

i didn't mean to be short, i just felt that was quite an accomplishment.  raising kids is a lot more difficult than arranging a new system for filing or getting a brief out the door in a day or solving an accounting crisis.  more challenging, more rewarding.

i wonder where she is now and if she has kids and ever thinks of her question.

good post, Mrs.Y.  good thoughts.   

\\\\\\\"i want to say more than words when i write\\\\\\\" - kent d. curry
me, too.

myspace.com\\\\\\\\krisknowshim
there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

Mrs. Yosemite

Sis. Melody, I tried to watch that. I finally got signed in on U tube. Then it says I have to download a new version of active x or flash player. And for some reason, my puter wont download it.  Hmmm. I get annoyed when that happens!  :tantrum:

[/quote]
Quote from: newkris on May 10, 2008, 06:19:01 AM
good post, Mrs.Y.  good thoughts.  

Thanks Newkris.  My mama drug me to church and that's why I don't have a drug problem today. haha

Brother Dad

A day early but HAPPY MOTHERS DAY  to all the Moms
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Mrs. Yosemite

Thanks Bro. Dad. 

(well Im not technically a mom except for my dogs)

Just_in

~You will never save the world by being like the world~

newkris

JUSTIN!  that.  is.  FABULOUS!

oh my word . . . i love it!
me, too.

there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

MelodyB

newkris

oops.  sorry mel. i didn't see that you started that.  *hugs* mel . . . 

don't laugh.  you'll be old some day, too . . .  :pwink:
me, too.

Just_in

Quote from: newkris on May 22, 2008, 04:06:56 AM
oops.  sorry mel. i didn't see that you started that.  *hugs* mel . . . 

don't laugh.  you'll be old some day, too . . .  :pwink:

I was wondering that, all i did was make a comment to Mel. But hey i wasn't going to bring it up.

~You will never save the world by being like the world~

MelodyB

I aint skeered. ;) Ill bring it up.

And I didnt laugh, I just smiled. :pwink:

Amelia Bedelia

Quote from: Mrs. Yosemite on May 10, 2008, 05:54:27 AM

I also think it makes Aunts 'Associate Research Assistants.'

aww yay I like that!

joyful 39

'Associate Research Assistants'. haha I knew I was something special.  :laughhard:

Amelia Bedelia

the kids call me Aunt Mama - which feels pretty special already I must admit
but I like this official term too... may come in handy someday