News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice? -Steven Wright

Main Menu

How would you respond to this?

Started by World Traveler, May 18, 2014, 06:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

World Traveler

I have a reason for asking this that I will get to later, but for now I would just like your opinion...

Scenario:
You own a nice restaurant.
You come in to open up one morning and some men come to meet you at the door. They tell you that they have been hanging out all night in your parking lot and have not broken in, damaged anything, or stolen anything.
Now they want you to give them breakfasts for being so nice.

How would you respond?
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

Roscoe

Quote from: World Traveler on May 18, 2014, 06:00:05 PM
I have a reason for asking this that I will get to later, but for now I would just like your opinion...

Scenario:
You own a nice restaurant.
You come in to open up one morning and some men come to meet you at the door. They tell you that they have been hanging out all night in your parking lot and have not broken in, damaged anything, or stolen anything.
Now they want you to give them breakfasts for being so nice.

How would you respond?
I think I'd let them know that I've carried a 1911 all night and haven't shot, killed, or otherwise wounded anyone-yet. And I want them to leave for me being so nice. :fire:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Chseeads

I would just about be afraid not to give them breakfast for fear they would attack me, or come back later and tear the place up.  f

Though I'd like to tell them they don't deserve to be rewarded simply for not destroying my property.

Roscoe

Quote from: Chseeads on May 18, 2014, 06:24:34 PM
I would just about be afraid not to give them breakfast for fear they would attack me, or come back later and tear the place up.  f

Though I'd like to tell them they don't deserve to be rewarded simply for not destroying my property.
This is what they are counting on. Call the police, try to get the security cameras to get a pic of them in case something happens..If you feed them once, it'll be like feeding a stray cat, you'll have breakfast "guests" indefinately.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Chseeads

Every once in a great while we get a stray happen along begging at church.  Always with some sob story of trying to get somewhere and needing gas.  I generally will just give them something from my pocket to make them go away, because while I don't trust them and am pretty sure most are frauds, I am afraid if I make them mad they'll come back and tear the place up or something later..... 

I just cut my losses and let the Lord decide whether he wants to smite them with emerods later or not.

World Traveler

Thank you for your replies.
Now here is what I was thinking about...
Basically, I put the story of Nabal and David's men in a modern day context. David's men came to Nabal and stated they had been among his servants all night and had not hurt or killed any or had taken anything that didn't belong to them. Now they wanted to be given sheep.
Nabal said no!
I can't help but think I would have reacted the same as Nabal. If every time someone came along and told him to give them sheep because they didn't kill any of his, he wouldn't have any before long. To me, he responded correctly.
Yet we are left to think Nabal was evil in what he did. David was going to kill him and all his people because he wouldn't pay up some "protection money" (or "protection sheep" in this instance).
Am I missing something in this story that is not evident on the surface or I am just as evil as Nabal?
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

Newsman

I just read this. It is interesting, seriously. Though the Bible in describing Nabal as "..churlish and evil in his doings,.." (1 Samuel 25:3 KJV) but that does not address the justice of the comparison you illustrate.

Hmm ... food for thought.

Lynx

There is no comparison.  David and his men did Nabal's men a service.  "They were a wall unto us both by night and day, all the while we were with them keeping the sheep."  Also note David's message to Nabal mentioned a time when Nabal's shepherds were with David's men, not while David's men were on Nabal's property. 
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

clark thompson

People should not expect to be rewarded for doing what s right just do right because it is what He wants of us.
The Lord made a Way.