News:

You can reach your profile and change its settings here.

Main Menu

Is this a hardware or software problem?

Started by World Traveler, December 07, 2011, 12:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

World Traveler

My internal CD/DVD player/burner has gotten to where it doesn't recognize DVDs. I recently put in some CDs and it played those just fine and downloaded them just fine. It won't recognize DVDs most of the time though. Most DVDs that I put in are not even recognized by the computer when I look at the D-drive on my computer. It is as if there is nothing in there. The player just cycles and cycles like it is trying to find something and then quits after a little bit when it gives up looking.

Recognizing CDs, but not DVDs. Is this a hardware or software problem?
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

Scott

Could be hardware and DVD Rom drives are cheap and not to hard to replace.

If you want to make sure then try running your anti software program and any anti spyware programs you may have. I heard about this on the radio yesterday.

http://www.doublemyspeed.com/home.html?ref=DoubleMySpeed.com

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Lynx

Without being there to test a few things myself I can't say for sure, but from the given data I'd say almost certainly hardware.  The only way that could be caused by software would be if your Windows had a problem at the most fundamental, basic level, perhaps caused by a hard drive corruption or a virus. 

One way to work around it really easy and for cheap is to get a USB disk drive.  They make them USB powered these days, don't even have to plug them into the wall.  The only cheaper way would be to get an internal disk drive and install it yourself, but of course that's not as easy as USB plug-n-play.

One way to test the hardware is to try to boot from a Linux live DVD.  If it will boot it's probably a Windows software problem - if it won't boot it's probably hardware.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: