News:

The staff of Godplace.com welcomes you to our little house of fun. If you have a spiritual need, feel free to  contact any staff member.

Main Menu

Product placement

Started by Lynx, February 23, 2011, 03:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

We all have them - little off-brands we have found that work great.  If you know of something really good, save us the trouble of trying a lot of different stuff to find it... tell us about it!  Please provide a link if possible.

JUICE:  For 100% juice (the only thing I'll drink besides water, everything else just tastes like sugar) the beat-all best is Old Orchard dark grape juice.  The label looks fairly generic but it tastes far sweeter and stronger than Welch's, Juicy Juice (which is grossly mislabeled according to my taste buds) or anything else I've tried.  We found it at a chain department store called Fred's.
http://www.oldorchardjuice.com/juices/organics/64_org_grape.htm

BATTERIES:  Advance Auto Parts has a house brand, red and white, that costs about half as much as Energizer or Duracel and lasts (as near as I can tell) longer.

MP3 PLAYER FOR AUDIOPHILES:  I found the Cowon iAudio7, 8 or 16 gigabyte, that has great sound quality and plays a lot of formats, including ogg vorbis (think Linux version of mp3.)  Playing ogg is key because you can get a much lower bit rate (meaning you can fit more songs in 8 gigabytes) and still sound good.  I fit all my collection in my 8 gig player, with room to spare.  But the major selling point for me was the battery:  charge for 3.5 hours and it lasted 46 HOURS!!!  This was playing ogg files (which do require a bit more from the processor) and playing at more than half volume.  46 HOURS!!!  It also plays video, but on a screen that small you won't be watching many vids.  This is a straight audio player for audio nuts.  http://www.jetaudio.com/products/iaudio/7/

MP3 PLAYER FOR NORMAL PEOPLE:  For folks who just want a small player to go jogging with, not something that will hold their whole library and play it forever, this is good:  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6654734&CatId=4518

EARBUDS:  JVC marshmallow earbuds.  Finally, a pair of earbuds that fit my ears AND sound good!  Believe it or else these $10 earbuds sound excellent (this is coming from me, an audiophile) and they block out outside noise like earplugs.  I put one ear in, leave one ear out so I can still interface with the real world and I'm good to go.  I was using a set just today at work, while putting the truck order up.  :D 
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=jvc+marshmallow&x=0&y=0

BOTTLED TEA:  Black Diamond tea beats Lipton Brisk by three miles.  It tastes like sweet iced tea we brew at home or church.  Thanks Chel for cluing me in.

SKIN MOISTURIZER:  (I can't believe I'm recommending a Wal-Mart house brand...) Equate skin moisturizer is (imo) better than current Vaseline Intensive Care formula.  Actually Equate's is exactly like Vaseline's used to be. 

I might be forgetting something.  So... anyone else got a product you really like, that we probably would never try on our own?
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Melody

Quote from: Psalm_97 on February 23, 2011, 03:15:18 AMEARBUDS:  JVC marshmallow earbuds.  Finally, a pair of earbuds that fit my ears AND sound good!  Believe it or else these $10 earbuds sound excellent (this is coming from me, an audiophile) and they block out outside noise like earplugs.  I put one ear in, leave one ear out so I can still interface with the real world and I'm good to go.  I was using a set just today at work, while putting the truck order up.  :D 
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=jvc+marshmallow&x=0&y=0

BOTTLED TEA:  Black Diamond tea beats Lipton Brisk by three miles.  It tastes like sweet iced tea we brew at home or church.  Thanks Chel for cluing me in.

Thanks! I don't like the earbuds I have now.  They have a soft rubber piece but are still too big for my ears and sometimes the rubber piece comes off and stays in my ear cause I have to wedge it in there! LOL  Do you buy yours from amazon?

I concur on the tea.  I don't like the lemon in tea that lipton puts in even the reg. kind and it's WAY too sweet. 

MsJennJenn

Quote from: MellowYellow on February 23, 2011, 04:38:29 PM
Quote from: Psalm_97 on February 23, 2011, 03:15:18 AM

I concur on the tea.  I don't like the lemon in tea that lipton puts in even the reg. kind and it's WAY too sweet. 

See I like either or. Black Diamond is good, and Lipton makes a black sweetened tea that doesn't have lemon, but it's hard to find! It's GOOD I like it!
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

MelodyB

If you like LITTLE DEBBIE SWISS CAKE ROLLS, the try the GREAT VALUE BRAND from WM. They cost .50 cheaper per box, and they taste SO much better!

But! Steer clear of the GV Fudge brownies, another LB knockoff...they are NASTY! Nothing like the real ones.
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

The Purple Fuzzy

There is a chain store in parts of TX called HEB.  They have the BEST butter pecan ice cream.  It is their store brand.  I wish we had one closer to us.

The great value chocolate cupcakes at Wal Mart are as good as Hostess, too.

Lynx

CHOCOLATE!!! HOW could I forget chocolate?!  I must be more dragged down by this cold than I thought, it has clouded my brain. 

The best chocolate I have ever tried... not that I've tried every kind in the world, but I've tried a lot :D... is from Lake Champlain Chocolates.  Specifically their five star candy bar. 
http://www.lakechamplainchocolates.com/Chocolate/Five-Star-Chocolate-Bar.aspx
The original is very good, the caramel is the absolute best.  The peanut butter and fruit & nut are okay, but not exceptional.  Get the variety pack one time just so you won't wonder what you're missing out on, then stick with caramel and original.  :)
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

sunlight

:lurk:

as far as chocolate milk goes... there is only one good one, and it's Borden's Dutch Chocolate Milk. the closest generic I have found is Foremost chocolate, almost as good, but not quite.
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

myhaloisintheshop

there is nothing as good as Braums chocolate milk.   :)

sunlight

I will have to try it! :grin:
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

EricShane

Quote from: MelodyB on February 23, 2011, 05:12:00 PM
If you like LITTLE DEBBIE SWISS CAKE ROLLS, the try the GREAT VALUE BRAND from WM. They cost .50 cheaper per box, and they taste SO much better!
I Have ALWAYS said that!!!!!! lol
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

EricShane

I love the smell of the new swiffer dust and shine with febreeze in it!! It smells sooooo good --- ohh and the Fabreeze air effects with GAIN

omg.. i love gain.. lol (I used to have a thread about it!)
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

Melody

oh that reminds me!

There is a knock off brand called Fabuloso.  It's an all purpose cleaner and the purple smells awesome!  When I cleaned the church, we used it on the floors and also put a bit in the toilets after they were cleaned.  Everybody loves that.

MsJennJenn

Quote from: MellowYellow on March 04, 2011, 06:58:30 PM
oh that reminds me!

There is a knock off brand called Fabuloso.  It's an all purpose cleaner and the purple smells awesome!  When I cleaned the church, we used it on the floors and also put a bit in the toilets after they were cleaned.  Everybody loves that.

I like the other Fabuluso -the teal colored one... we used to use it to clean the floors when I used to work in a store.

Shaney - I am a GAIN only girl! If they had body spray in the Gain scent, I'd buy it ha ha
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

Lynx

Quote from: EricShane on March 04, 2011, 03:27:14 PM
Quote from: MelodyB on February 23, 2011, 05:12:00 PM
I Have ALWAYS said that!!!!!! lol
I've heard that from someone else so I tried them.  Not bad, not bad.  Then I put them in the microwave for 7 seconds... enough to soften the chocolate without melting it or dissolving the cream.  VERY good!

And for the record Febreeze beats skunk odor, even if the skunk sprayed the carport because my stupid dogs cornered it under the car.  It took four bottles, and the floor was a bit sticky from spray residue, but it took out the skunk smell!
"Do you sing at church?"

EricShane

Quote from: MellowYellow on March 04, 2011, 06:58:30 PM
oh that reminds me!

I almost said Fabuloso!!! Its my favorite!!! Especially the purple! We use it at work too (I clean offices) and we dillute it in spray bottles and clean desks and stuff with it, its AWESOME!

Lynx

WIRELESS AUDIO:  This will only be of interest to maybe one or two here, but... if you ever need a good wireless microphone, handheld, lapel or headset, get Nady.  Trust me.  They cost as little as the cheap-sounding junk but they sound great.  I've about beat my brains out trying to keep a much-vaunted Audio Technica mic from giving static, but Nady has never given me any trouble.  Crystal clear sound and a good long range for the transmitter.  In fact just tonight I placed an order for a set of two Nady wireless handhelds to replace the last AT mic we had in the Children's Church/puppet team audio setup.   FINALLY!

No I did not get paid by Nady to say this.  It's just the only low price wireless stuff I've ever found that actually worked, and worked consistently.
"Do you sing at church?"

EricShane

do you get the nady at most music stores or is it something you have to order

Lynx

Music store?  What's that?  :P

I just amazon it.  Computers - Tiger Direct.  Chocolate - Lake Champlain Chocolates.  Almost everything else - amazon.com

Look for Nady wireless and you'll find what I got at the top of the list, channels P and R model.
"Do you sing at church?"

Babs

i wish i could find a wireless headphone/mic for my computer. i have wireless headphones and love them, but have about worn them out, after about 5 years lol, now the batteries die on it very quick, but would cost too much to buy new ones.
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

EricShane

Quote from: Psalm_97 on March 08, 2011, 05:00:19 AM
Music store?  What's that?  :P

I just amazon it.  Computers - Tiger Direct.  Chocolate - Lake Champlain Chocolates.  Almost everything else - amazon.com

Look for Nady wireless and you'll find what I got at the top of the list, channels P and R model.
uhh i hate that newfangled internet stuff...

I dont believe in the internet..

lol

Lynx

Hmm, that's three channels of audio:  stereo headphones and at least mono mic, and they're going in different directions so both the set by the computer and your headphones would have to be receiver AND transmitter.  Yeah, that won't be $50.  Unless you're very lucky.

Might get a bluetooth headset if your computer has bluetooth...
"Do you sing at church?"

Babs

Quote from: EricShane on March 08, 2011, 05:01:47 AM

lol

LOLOL

that reminds me of a preaching i was listening to the other day. it was on a churches WEBSITE, but their pastor was all over preaching against the internet for any reason except at your job. i was just about dying laughing. wonder if he knew he was being broadcast on the net lolol

My latest blog post.

Babs

Quote from: Psalm_97 on March 08, 2011, 05:03:23 AM

Might get a bluetooth headset if your computer has bluetooth...

my laptop has bluetooth but not my desktop and thats where i need the wireless. oh well. sigh

My latest blog post.

Lynx

Quote from: EricShane on March 08, 2011, 05:01:47 AM
uhh i hate that newfangled internet stuff...

lol
Get with the times man, local specialty electronics stores are fast becoming a thing of the past.  Even Best Buy is dying these days... everyone gets better stuff cheaper at Tiger Direct or Newegg (if they know anything) or amazon (if they don't know enough to go to Tiger Direct.)  Music supplies are best purchased from Musician's Friend or Zzounds, or maybe Sweetwater. 
"Do you sing at church?"

EricShane

yeah.. i have ordered from Musicians Friend before, I like them!