News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

Extra! Extra! Don't Be Late. Give Us Some Scruff in Scruffy Number 8!

Started by Chinadoll, June 12, 2009, 06:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kloey

Old scruff is better than no scruff, but new scruff would be appreciated!
I am activated to pursue His kingdom, not for what it is, but for the absence found within.

Lynx

Which reminds me, I still need to shave.  Fortunately I dry shave - faster, less mess.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Roscoe

Quote from: Psalm_97 on April 02, 2011, 12:25:42 PM
Which reminds me, I still need to shave.  Fortunately I dry shave - faster, less mess.
:o
If I tried that, I'd need an ambulance on standby and a blood transfusion! :laughhard:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Amelia Bedelia

Scruff thread rules:
1. Post scruff
2. Post scruff
3. Any discussion of shaving should be kept to a minimum and under no circumstance be advocating, encouraging or pro-shaving.
4. Post scruff

Thank you

nwlife

It's been a while since I have posted,  so I decided to post, but I can't say that it is my "normal" color when it comes to my beard.

Only through faith in the Grace of God through Jesus Christ am I saved. No other means and no other actions changes the predestination of my soul.

UPDATE:  I finally did find my wife.  Just waiting now to bring her to the USA!

Kloey

Dare I say it is fabulous scruff indeed?  Indeed, I do dare.  It is most impressively fabulous scruff!
I am activated to pursue His kingdom, not for what it is, but for the absence found within.

Amelia Bedelia

He-Man

%41%61%72%6F%6E

Lynx

Yet do I not comprehend this advertising for "scruff" pictures.  Why do you want to see them?  It's not a good looking beard, it's not clean shaven, it's some kind of messy in-the-middle. 

It's also itchy and I don't know how some guys stand it.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

He-Man

%41%61%72%6F%6E

Lynx

I don't intend to.  I'm just curious why the girls seem to be seeking pics of it.  What's the draw?
"Do you sing at church?"

He-Man

If I were to guess, it would be because it's nice to see a man looking like a man.. rough & rugged, etc. I certainly appreciate them.
%41%61%72%6F%6E

MsJennJenn

It's a girl thing Isaac....you'll never understand the "why" no matter how much any of us try to explain it.
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

taco_harvell

Quote from: Psalm_97 on September 19, 2011, 07:12:54 AM
I don't intend to.  I'm just curious why the girls seem to be seeking pics of it.  What's the draw?

To a girl a guy with scruff looks more manly. Also, for many in the Apostolic ranks facial hair is a huge taboo which for some ladies makes it even more desirable.
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

Amelia Bedelia

I like men that look and feel like a man.  I don't like boys, I like men.  Scruff is manly and sexy.  Full beards are different since at that point its like the top of a head and is a barrier to skin rather than texture on skin. 

I don't really think the apostolic "taboo" plays into it... I think its healthy and normal for sexually mature adults to be attracted to those that look like sexually mature adults.  It sometimes disturbs me the extent that the boyish, prepubescent  clean-shaven look is considered more sexually appealing by some parts of society.

Melody

I could not have said it better.

Perfect. And I don't know how much longer the no facial hair is going to hold up in the next generation. I think it's premise is becoming moot.  It's only a platform rule here, along with a tie.

Lynx

The facial hair standard is, in most places, a direct reaction to the late 60's/early 70's use of beards as a sign of teen rebellion.  In the spirit of not having our good evil spoken of, a lot of churches (not just pentecostal - baptist, methodist, etc churches got in on it) had a standard against facial hair.  In most places the reason for the standard is long gone, and in most churches the standard is also long gone.  In some places though, the stigma against facial hair still exists in too many minds to make dropping the standard viable. 

Give it time.

When we visited another pentecostal church one of the ladies from my church got quite upset when seeing men in that church with facial hair... on stage even!  :o  She argued about it all the way back home, even tried to prove that the Bible speaks against facial hair.  The verse she finally wound up with...................... turned out to be speaking about no such thing.  It was somewhere in Leviticus, talking about how the priests shouldn't poll their heads. 

Some people can become so accustomed to a standard that they think it's set in marble.  Just give it time.
"Do you sing at church?"

Heather

Well I can't find a good picture, but I'm very glad that APB has scruff. He keeps a gotee and the remainder of his scruff varies.

And we actually have at least one gentleman in our praise band with facial hair and quite a few saints with beards/facial hair. As long as it's well maintained then my pastor allows it otherwise he leaves it up to personal conviction.
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

He-Man

Quote from: Psalm_97 on September 24, 2011, 08:38:31 AM
The facial hair standard is, in most places, a direct reaction to the late 60's/early 70's use of beards as a sign of teen rebellion.

It's been about 50 years since the 60s were a thing that was happening. Might be time to let things from the sixties stay in the sixties.
%41%61%72%6F%6E

Amelia Bedelia

Quote from: He-Man on September 24, 2011, 08:45:50 PM
Quote from: Psalm_97 on September 24, 2011, 08:38:31 AM
The facial hair standard is, in most places, a direct reaction to the late 60's/early 70's use of beards as a sign of teen rebellion.

It's been about 50 years since the 60s were a thing that was happening. Might be time to let things from the sixties stay in the sixties.
yeah that

precisely the problem with trying to make the bible fit whats going on... whats going on changes and then you're stuck with ridiculous rules that make the church weaker and look ridiculous.  don't add to it and it really works well regardless of the fads.  facial hair wasn't part of what was wrong with hitler, stalin or the 60s or wherever you want to say the impetus came from

He-Man

But then of course, by speaking out against an unbiblical rule, you're rebelling. Because of course you can't question things, even if they don't make sense.
%41%61%72%6F%6E

Lynx

The standard was valid and needed at the time and, in some places, is still valid and needed.  As I said, just give it time.
"Do you sing at church?"

Amelia Bedelia

Quote from: Psalm_97 on September 25, 2011, 12:34:02 PM
The standard was valid and needed at the time and, in some places, is still valid and needed.  As I said, just give it time.
I completely disagree.  Its not valid to make unbiblical rules, especially to gauge rebelliousness, there are enough rules in there without man coming up with more.  It undermines when you're dealing with truly biblical mandates.  If your pastoral preference is contrary to, adds to, or subtracts from, the word, then there is something wrong... with the pastor.

Letting our good not be evil spoken of or avoiding the appearance of evil...  The bible has already defined what is evil.  If we allow the fads of the world to get in on defining that then we get very confused on what is right and wrong.  We made an issue out of nothing and its hurt the church.  Its a laughingstock thats hard for anyone with sense to take seriously anymore.  We've ebbed and flowed with the times rather than saying, whats evil at the beginning is still evil today and nothing has changed. 

Bible time: Facial hair good
1900s: facial hair bad
Now: facial hair might be okay again, maybe give it yet another generation

Bible time: Effeminacy bad
Now: Metro-sexual is increasingly the norm (so relived that they aren't growing facial hair!)

Bible time: Drinking in moderation fine
Prohibition era: Drinking at all is bad

Bible time: Clearly defined gender roles and respect
Post-feminism: Confused gender roles (so as not to offend of course), and less respect

Bible: Music in praise to God is good
Mid-1900s: Only if it has a certain rhythm

Bible: Watch what you put into your mind
1900s: TV/Movies/Internet = evil
Now: TV/Movies/Internet is recognized as a medium (and maybe we'll get back to watching what we put into our minds)

and the list goes on.  With whats right and wrong so subject to change and fads...  is it any wonder why its really hard to have a discussion concerning the validity of the bible with someone today?

Babs

Best rule of thumb "where the bible speaks, speak. where the bible is silent be silent"

I agree with above post.

Why make more and more rules. I mean no one can adhere to every command that is actually listed in the bible (no one is perfect). So why add to the burden?

Mho
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

Lynx

:offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

Hmmm... it seems I have unwittingly been party to a thread-jacking.  Apologies for my part.

Perhaps we should start a new thread, maybe call it "Standards not expressly mentioned in the Bible:  Good or Bad?"  Or maybe not... I've seen this topic come up in many forums, usually multiple times in multiple threads in the same forum, and nobody ever walks away satisfied.  It has probably come up more than once in this forum before I came along.

In the meantime, back to the thread topic.  Topic and rules of this thread are as follows:

Quote from: Amelia Bedelia on April 03, 2011, 01:26:20 PM
Scruff thread rules:
1. Post scruff
2. Post scruff
3. Any discussion of shaving should be kept to a minimum and under no circumstance be advocating, encouraging or pro-shaving.
4. Post scruff

Thank you
"Do you sing at church?"