News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

Gmail Tip

Started by mini, January 05, 2008, 03:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mini

I have gmail and love it.  One thing that annoyed me for a while was the lack of a auto delete option for the spam folder.  Here is a simple solution:

In gmail click on settings>filters>create a new filter.

In the box, in the box that is titled "Has the words:" put this in:spam then hit test search.  It should show all your spam messages below.

Click Next Step, and hit ok for the box that pops up warning you that "in: or is:" is not recommended or something like that.

It will ask you to choose a option.  I choose to delete all spam.  Also check "apply this to X conversations below" then hit Create Filter.

PRESTO!  No spam!

DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Backseat Radio

Is there a way in Gmail to block an email address that you don't want email from?

mini

Do the same things as above, but instead of "Has the words:" put the email address you don't want to receive email from in the "From:" box.  On the next step, just check delete it, and you shouldn't have anymore problems.

Thats assuming its coming from a individual.  If its spam, just check it in your inbox and report it as spam, and you shouldn't have any problem from it.
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

SippinTea

"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

Backseat Radio

Thanks for the info. 

mini

One of the reasons I love Godplace.  I put notes on here like this and 5 years later I need it...and bam!  Here it is!

mini

Another gmail tip that is awesome:  LABELS!

Say you get a ton of emails from one source (ie, mom is always fwd you stuff you dont wanna read).  Heres how to take care of them quickly.

1.  Click on email you want to label.
2.  Right hand side by reply button is a drop down menu.  Click on that. 
3.  Filter messages like this.  It will do a search automatically with all emails from that particular email address. 
4.  Create filter with this search. 
5.  Check the box by "Apply the label:"  In the drop down box, click "Create new label"  and a popup will appear.  Name the label, and then it will take you back. 
6.  At the bottom of the filter search box, it will say "Also apply filter to matching conversations."  Check that box, hit "Create Filter" and voila! You have sorted all those boxes under one label.

Next:

7:  Now, on your left hand side (main email window), you will see the freshly created label.  Move your mouse just to the right of that, and you will see a down arrow. 
8:  Click on that, and you will see label color.  Click again, pick your color, and from now on, every email that comes from that will be labeled with a color of your choice.

Two variations on this:

1:  If you are flagging a specific word or phrase (fwd, re:) all you need to do is between step 3 and 4, look for the box that says "Has the words" and enter the specific term you are looking for.  Follow the rest of the steps.  Word of caution, if you do a search for FWD, and try to get rid of all of those, you will delete a email that's important.  Best to label them, then look at them later and delete them then.

2:  If you are getting a ton of email from a domain vs a person, on step 3, where it will list the email address (ie, bob@example.com, or eugene@example.com) delete everything up to example.com, and step 4 should take all of that domain emails and group them together.  WARNING!  Dont set up one for yahoo.com, gmail.com, hotmail.com or such like.  It will label ALL emails from that domain.

Finally, I set up one label that is a catch all:  JUNK.  I repeat the steps, but on step 5, I already have the label I want, I just tell it to apply the JUNK label to that email.

Hope someone benefits from this.

If you use gmail on your smart phone, all labels will show up on your phone too!