News:

Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Memory question

Started by World Traveler, October 09, 2007, 10:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

World Traveler

Recently my computer has been doing something new. So far it is just a pain and I haven't detected any negative affects on my computer, but it is becoming more common.

Sometimes my computer will just seem to freeze up (it is always when I am on the internet). After a time that can range anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more a little box will pop up saying something like, "Loss of memory at line 56". It is ALWAYS line 56.

Any idea what this could be? Is it a sign of worse things to come? Could it be referring to my RAM and just changing my RAM (replacing the old RAM chips or adding more) would fix it?

Any insight would be welcome.
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

JakeLeonard

1) You might want to see what programs you don't intend to use anymore.

Sometimes, some programs take so much RAM that errors will show at times.

2) Buy more RAM.

If you're looking for a good card of RAM (like 1GB minimum), it might cost you at least $60 (unless the 1GB or higher are on sale at places like Staples or Best Buy).

3) Look for a new computer, but beware of what operating system it is utilizing.

I have worked with Windows Vista (not on my computer, but on others) and it takes a lot of RAM to operate. Windows ME and XP don't take up as much (I'd advise against ME and Vista, if I were you) virtual memory (usually what errors would specify about). You might have to ask for places like Dell, Compaq/Hewlett Packard, etc. for them to pre-install it, although that it is "obsolete". Make sure that the RAM for the new computer is 1GB minimum and at least 60GB of hard drive memory. A decent one without the works usually starts as low as $399 and up. Laptops a little more.

Mine is 80GB and 768MB RAM (hopefully, going to 2GB RAM in near future)

World Traveler

Thanks.
I would just have to have my computer upgraded. Except for that little kink in the armor, my puter has served me well since Dec 2003. It is a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop. I love it!
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.