News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

[rant] :pound: [/rant]

Started by mini, June 05, 2009, 08:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gingerale

I read the kjv and kjv only. as shoud everyone else. and if you sway from it you're in danger of hellfire.

Gingerale

just kidding.

I like other versions as long as they translate and not change the Word.

rootbeer

If I get another Bible, I intend to get a NASB. 
The name of the Lord is a strong tower.

Gingerale

Bro. t- you should never post right after me. 2 drinks should never post together. lol....

NASB.... I have heard of it, but how does it compare/'contrast' with KJV?

SippinTea

NASB is a word-for-word translation, not a thought-for-thought translation.

Some people feel it's more accurate than KJV, but it can be somewhat choppy reading due to the way it was translated. I kinda like being able to see the more precise translation for certain words when I'm studying though. *shrug*

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

He-Man

Quote from: EricShane on June 06, 2009, 06:39:24 PM
well.. I always was raised to believe KJV or nothing.. but, before I had 'nothing' I would probably read another translation. *grin*

and.. Yes he was serious :spitlaugh:

He.. sounds "special" .. I hope this one isnt still out preaching somewhere.
%41%61%72%6F%6E

EricShane

Quote from: He-Man on June 07, 2009, 04:40:00 PM
Quote from: EricShane on June 06, 2009, 06:39:24 PM
well.. I always was raised to believe KJV or nothing.. but, before I had 'nothing' I would probably read another translation. *grin*

and.. Yes he was serious :spitlaugh:

He.. sounds "special" .. I hope this one isnt still out preaching somewhere.
lol no, dead by now Im sure..
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

Gingerale

I feel there is a danger in translating ideas, or thoughts. I can translate my sister's words and them come out totally opposite of what she actually meant, and me end up ordering her a chicken finger basket rather than a chicken finger platter.

I am open to other Bible versions than KJV but we gotta be careful that we use versions that translate words and not change ideas.

mini

Quote from: SippinTea on June 07, 2009, 03:58:13 PM
NASB is a word-for-word translation, not a thought-for-thought translation.

Some people feel it's more accurate than KJV, but it can be somewhat choppy reading due to the way it was translated. I kinda like being able to see the more precise translation for certain words when I'm studying though. *shrug*

I think the ESV is a word for word translation too.
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

EricShane

Quote from: Gingerale on June 07, 2009, 06:01:10 PM
I feel there is a danger in translating ideas, or thoughts. I can translate my sister's words and them come out totally opposite of what she actually meant, and me end up ordering her a chicken finger basket rather than a chicken finger platter.

I am open to other Bible versions than KJV but we gotta be careful that we use versions that translate words and not change ideas.
right..

I honestly am Satisfied with the KJV

*grin*

Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

RainbowJingles

I was intently satisfied with the KJV as well, until I started reading Kings and Chronicles in the NIV.  lol  Talk about WOW factor!  I was like...  :o on more than one occasion.  And sometimes, I was just like...  WAIT!  Is that really in the Bible?!?!  And I'd go back to the KJV and realize that I would have needed 4 Bible dictionaries and a concordance to realize the meaning of the passage.  I wouldn't change my preference to the NIV, but that was certainly an eye-opening experience to be sure.  I'm currently reading a one-year chronological study Bible, and when I finish it, I think I'll read the ESV next year.

I still quote from the KJV, but now I don't feel that I'm "adding to or taking away" from the BIBLE if I quote another version, as long as it still says the same thing that God was intending for it to say.

EricShane

your doomed Elona..

its so sad..

:sadbounce:

LOL jk

RainbowJingles

SippinTea

Then I'm _really_ out there, 'cause I read KJV, NKJV, Amplified, NASB, The Message, NIV, NLT, etc.

*shrug* Oh well. I'm bad. So shoot me.

:P at Eric

RainbowJingles

Quote from: SippinTea on June 08, 2009, 09:57:53 PM
Then I'm _really_ out there, 'cause I read KJV, NKJV, Amplified, NASB, The Message, NIV, NLT, etc.

*shrug* Oh well. I'm bad. So shoot me.

:P at Eric

Whew.  I'm not quite as reprobate as Ruby.
I haven't dug into the message or the NLT yet.

Tricia Lea

Well I used to only want to read the KJV and while I still like to use the KJV when looking up somthing, out of habit I guess. I really enjoy reading the NASB or NKJV. I am not as big a fan of the NIV.

One thing that bothers me, and maybe its just me is some translations seem to leave out whole sentances.

Check out Acts 10:6 in different translations

My main translation now does tend to be the NKJV

SippinTea

Quote from: RainbowJingles on June 08, 2009, 11:19:15 PM
Whew.  I'm not quite as reprobate as Ruby.
I haven't dug into the message or the NLT yet.

*grin*

I really love my NLT. It makes a whole lot of sense to this sometimes muddy, befuddled, bewildered brain of mine.

Quote from: Tricia Lea on June 08, 2009, 11:44:18 PM
Check out Acts 10:6 in different translations

Okay. Here goes...

NIV - He is staying with Simon the tanner, whose house is by the sea.
NASB - he is staying with a tanner named Simon, whose house is by the sea.
AMP - He is lodging with Simon a tanner, whose house is by the seaside.
NLT - He is staying with Simon, a tanner who lives near the seashore.
CEV - He is visiting with Simon the leather maker, who lives in a house near the sea.
NCV - He is staying with a man, also named Simon, who is a tanner and has a house beside the sea
HCSB - He is lodging with Simon, a tanner, whose house is by the sea
ESV - He is lodging with one Simon, a tanner, whose house is by the sea

Looks pretty much the same to me. Lodging/staying... Seashore/seaside.*shrug*

Tricia Lea

ya but heres the KJV

6He lodgeth with one Simon a tanner, whose house is by the sea side: he shall tell thee what thou oughtest to do

anyways may not be much but just somthing i noticed

:-?

Dont mean I dont love the other translations just makes me wonder, if that make sense

SippinTea

Ah, but if you look in the footnotes for that verse, Tricia, it says that particular phrase was not included in some of the early manuscripts. That's why so many translations leave it out, is because it's 'iffy' whether or not it was actually part of that passage.

And really, it doesn't change the meaning when you take the whole passage in context. At least, not in my opinion. :)

mini

I went back to the greek to see what it said...Acts 10:6

He       lodgeth     with  one    Simon     a tanner,             
3778    3579        3844  5100  4613      1038 (Strongs Number)                
Hoútos xenízetai   pará   tini    Símooni  burseí               

whose   is      house  by      the     sea side:        he             
3739    1510  3614    3844   9999  2281             <9999 >   (Strongs Number)      
hoó      estin  oikía    pará                      thálassan                             

shall tell     thee           what           thou           oughtest       to do.       
<9999 >     <9999 >      <9999 >       <9999 >     <9999 >        <9999 >  (Strongs Number)       
(Interlinear Transliterated Bible. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc.)

Yep, that last part was all added...interesting.
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Tricia Lea

rootbeer

If I got a NASB, I would always compare it with the KJV. 
There is one thing that puzzles me.  In Rev. 22:14, the KJV says, "Blessed are they that do his commandments. . ."  All other version that I have seen say "Blessed are they that wash their robes . . ."  I have never found anything that explains why the KJV is different.
The name of the Lord is a strong tower.

EricShane

Okay You all.. Im Just saying, we should Shoot Ruby.

lol

RainbowJingles

MelodyB

*BANG!!*

Ok. Done.

I am undecided on this topic. I see the point, and I WANT to read the other versions, but my upbringing has made me never even try.

Ruby and I have had this conversation many times before, and while I see her views, I cannot bring myself to read anything else other than a good ole' KJV.
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?