News:

The staff of Godplace.com welcomes you to our little house of fun. If you have a spiritual need, feel free to  contact any staff member.

Main Menu

Roscoe's on duty, better toe the line, in Sharing 469

Started by Lynx, September 24, 2012, 01:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taco_harvell

Quote from: SippinTea on September 26, 2012, 03:56:18 PM
Jason - are you thinking of Wrap Me in Your Arms? If so, it's not just guys that cringe on that one. I do too. :smirk2: And yes, the Why Men Hate Church book is excellent. There's another great one along the same lines, but I'm blank on the title at the moment.

:beret:
Yep that's it! I really dislike that song.
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

kkay

Trying to be patient with something but it's not working. Need to have this done, like yesterday.

Here's something weird - a lady from my mom's church called her yesterday morning and said she woke up at 4 a.m. and felt the strong need to pray for her (my mom). I woke up yesterday morning at exactly 4 a.m. too :smirk2:

Here's hoping everything's alright.

MsJennJenn

Quote from: taco_harvell on September 26, 2012, 03:58:52 PM
Jason - are you thinking of Wrap Me in Your Arms? If so, it's not just guys that cringe on that one. I do too. :smirk2: And yes, the Why Men Hate Church book is excellent. There's another great one along the same lines, but I'm blank on the title at the moment.

Yep that's it! I really dislike that song.

That's weird to me. Maybe it's a generational thing...My Young Adult group is singing at a Young Adult retreat our District has every Fall called Fuel...and not one, or two, but THREE of my guys that sing in my group specifically "requested" for us to sing "Wrap Me in Your Arms".

I love songs like that. The intimacy of it, draws me in, and increases my desire to grow closer to God.
*shrug*

Maybe you're thinking of "The More I Seek You"? It's a very intimate song as well.
Of which the Youth/Young Adult generation LOVE right now.
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

SippinTea

Ack. That one is even worse to me. That one positively screams the "Jesus is my boyfriend" thing.

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad God made emotion. I'm glad we can sense His presence. But I do think a lot of songs of late are propagating a very feminine view of Jesus. And I do think it's messing with our guy's heads. Particularly the ones that have bad relationships with their own fathers. It makes me hurt inside to watch. I've been around when some men/young men have discussed this and been pretty open and blunt about the confusion in their own heads over how they're supposed to view God. Honestly, I think we're causing damage by continuing to use songs like the ones we're talking about.

But I know my view isn't the popular one. ;)

"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

MsJennJenn

I dunno what the answer is either. lol

But I know that if those songs didn't exist, I would be sad. They're very close to my heart.
Like I said, the intimacy of the song has spoken to my heart, and caused me to open up in intimate times with God.
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-

SippinTea

I  know what you mean. There are certain songs that have really spoken to me at various points in my life that others were kind of against, or didn't like, or whatever. God does reach for us in very personal intimate ways, and I'm certainly not going bash anything that draws someone closer to him. :)

Melody

Ok, us having said ALL that...

I also believe that because of homosexuality and bad parenting for generations that many men lack understanding on healthy affection.  John layed his head on Jesus' chest.  That's pretty affectionate. He wasn't wanting Jesus to be his boyfriend.  They weren't children.  Our modern culture has made it hard to understand that and see it applied today. "Greet the brethren with a holy kiss." THAT's pretty affectionate! The apostles weren't gay, they were very masculine!  So it's not the acts themselves that are perverted but very much the spirit behind it.  The question then being, "Where is it done in the right Spirit, in a Holy masculine way?"  I think our culture has skewed some things for US that are otherwise fine and good.  We find many men running in fear or embracing it while also lacking a strong sense of masculinity.  Leaving many feeling like anything remotely intimate is effeminate.  It's just not so.

*added*  There is a book my cousin was telling me that he read about how very much the LACK of physical affection from fathers/father figures contributes to homosexuality.  Makes so much sense.  By not having it, some can't deal with any of it or long for it and it gets twisted.

There IS such a thing as balance in it that includes a brother hugging another brother.  There IS such a thing as a Godly affectionate father hugging his sons and even adult sons.  Our culture isn't conducive to kissing, however, my friend who now lives in France and goes to a home missions church there is trying his best with the whole greeting kiss thing.  He reports that it isn't perverted feeling at all.  So, while sloppy wet kisses seem so very overboard.  I don't think it's effeminate whatsoever to have a father's strong embrace, ie: being wrapped in His arms.  I don't think it's weird with the rest of the words of the 2nd song mentioned to "sit at His feet."  I think some things are very much from a child's perspective to a great big strong Father.  Whereas some, not having that as kids, definately cannot relate, and only see it in adult form and have trouble with it. 

There is balance.  AND I think there is the variable of a Godly Apostolic person singing it under the anointing vs. some worldly person.

MsJennJenn

-Alexander Den Heijer-

Melody

you guys were posting while I was still working on mine... LOL

I don't think banning ALL intimate/affectionate songs is the answer.  I think learning what IS the right way and pursuing that in a "testify of the truth" type way will set all that in order.  Running the other direction is just as unhealthy as being goo goo gah gah over it. 

I would think by now that OUR generation has seen the unprofitableness of just side swiping an entire thing because some elements have not been fully straightened out yet.

SippinTea

Agreed. :)

Maybe I'm a bit hyper-sensitive because of particular situations we've dealt with? Dunno.

But you're absolutely right, Melodya. This world has totally twisted normal affections.

Remember when it was perfectly normal for little girls (okay, even big ones) to walk along the street holding hands? Just because they were feeling sisterly and affectionate? Yeah, I remember that. From pictures of my Nana and her friends... and also of my mom. AND from when I was really little. And I also remember when it started to change. And I'd be walking along the street holding my cousin's hand and swinging our arms, and skipping, or whatever, and our parents started telling us we "shouldn't do that, because it looked bad." And it took me SUCH a long time (years) to figure out why that was supposed to be dirty or disgusting. Because it wasn't.

Maybe that's the sort of the same issue?

Melody

YES.  I think the very same.

My step sisters' mom is a lesbian.  My mom had intimacy issues and wasn't affectionate at all.  I grew up hypersensitive about any female affection.  It did not make me long for feminine affection conscienciously, it made me run the complete other way from it and wrongly perceive other's intentions. *later I realized one of my love languages IS touch. The only woman I grew up having hugged was my grandma a few times.  I literally could not comprehend all these Apostolic women hugging eachother and thought they perhaps had secret homosexual issues or were incredibly shallow so that it had no real meaning.

Seriously.  And I was so wrong.  I'm so glad Jesus heals.  But we have to consider such questions honestly.  We have to be open to the actual truth of God more than words of people. Our elders are amazing people, but they are still human and did not have it all figured out yet either.  I'd like to continue the great things they established and keep it growing.

Also, I know of 2 men in our church whom God has delivered from homosexuality completely.  It is a powerful testimony.  And you know what?  They aren't effeminate and neither is touchy feely whatsoever. I've seen them receive or give a hug or two though and there was no weird vibe.  God heals completely.

Heather

As of right now Brandon is meeting me at church tonight!! Please if you think about it pray for him today. This will be his first time going to any church in almost 10 years and his first Pentecostal church ever.
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

SippinTea

taco_harvell

Quote from: HeatherB on September 26, 2012, 04:45:08 PM
As of right now Brandon is meeting me at church tonight!! Please if you think about it pray for him today. This will be his first time going to any church in almost 10 years and his first Pentecostal church ever.
Praying for him and the service. Believing for a report of him getting the Holy Ghost tonight!!

I may start another thread on the music discussion. I think there is a lot more to be discussed. It will have to wait though......
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

SippinTea

Quote from: taco_harvell on September 26, 2012, 05:28:40 PM
I may start another thread on the music discussion. I think there is a lot more to be discussed. It will have to wait though......

I'd like that! I had been tempted to start one, but didn't want Jenn (or anyone else) to feel like I was picking on them or their favorite songs. :) But I would really enjoy a lively discussion on this topic. :)

MsJennJenn

Quote from: SippinTea on September 26, 2012, 06:12:03 PM
Quote from: taco_harvell on September 26, 2012, 05:28:40 PM

I'd like that! I had been tempted to start one, but didn't want Jenn (or anyone else) to feel like I was picking on them or their favorite songs. :) But I would really enjoy a lively discussion on this topic. :)

Ruby...lol
We just discussed this. Go for it.

Like I told you - I like what I like. You like what you like.
And that's okay. Everyone has their interests. God help us if we ALL 100% agreed/disagreed on EVERY single issue/thing in our worlds.

I for one, would go crazy. Please don't like or agree 100% with what I do.
I like healthy competition. His Word says to out do one another in honor and love.
Whether it's in debate, or discussion, or in various other things.
-Alexander Den Heijer-

SippinTea

MsJennJenn

-Alexander Den Heijer-

MelodyB

I lean more toward Jenns views on this topic. But I don't wanna participate in a new thread. All the debates and opinions and stuff...I'm just not able to keep up and put in my stuff right now cause I have too many other things to worry about than a music discussion. Lol

But just so y'all know...I side with Jenn...so far her views are the ones that have lined up the closest with mine on this subject.

Haha. ;)

So I'll sit this one out.

:hug: Ruby
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Heather

Chseeads

And I shall just shoot you all.

:fire:

That's my little way of bringing balance to things.  :P

Chseeads

I don't know anything about the book mentioned, but in general I would say that some of the blame for "men hating church" could be drawn back to the issue of men shirking their duty to spiritually lead.  A lot of the weight of the modern day church has been carried by women, with women making up a larger percentage of congregations, women having to be spiritual leaders in homes that men fail to be in......

Another thing could be that the spirit of Jezebel has been allowed to take over in some instances. 

Anyhoo.....

I took a nap earlier.

The Purple Fuzzy

I think that is at least part of it, Seth.  It's not a simple problem.  It's a combination of things.

almondjoy

*is so glad she got to visit with one of the most awesome people in the world today!

Told her I was kidnapping her so she could cook, I'd bake, and Aaron would have to clean up after us.

*grin*

Heather

Brandon came to church. He's still wary of speaking in tongues and if he believes any of its real but he did say he will come until he figures it out. One of our outreach ministers gave me a bible study to look over and give to him. I know it may not seem like much but just the fact he stepped foot into the building and stayed through the entire service (plus talking for 2.5 hours in the parking lot after) is a GIANT step in his spiritual life. Just keep lifting Brandon Henson up in prayer if you think about it.