News:

Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Quotes for today 2

Started by The Purple Fuzzy, February 07, 2011, 07:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BroTrey

QuotePassion will compel a man beyond comfort to sacrifice.
Please disregard this post as it's contents are probably in error.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Lynx

"Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once."

"Learn from the mistakes of others.  You'll never have enough time in one lifetime to make them all yourself."
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Lynx

"It is important to follow biblical principles in our discussion. How we decide could be as significant as exactly what we decide. If we are right in our stand but wrong in our spirit, then we are wrong." - David Bernard
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Lynx

"We're not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be"
- C.S Lewis
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

Quote for the day:  "I don't like making plans for my day, because then the word 'premeditated' gets thrown around in the courtroom."
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

"When the old temptations come back, it's my body's way of telling me "You're not fasting enough."  Dadburn flesh gettin' too uppity again, gotta put it back down."
"Do you sing at church?"

The Purple Fuzzy

I thought this had some good points:

FOLLOWING YOUR CALL

One man says it really happened. At the conclusion of his medical exam, the doctor asked him if he would please call in the next patient. So, he opened the waiting room door and called, "Mrs. Colchester, please." Then he left the doctor's office.

He had walked some distance along the street outside when he heard Mrs. Colchester's voice behind him, "Where are we going?"

She knew she was being called, but she misunderstood the intent. I wonder if she made it back in time for her appointment.

There are times I can relate to her. I, too, have experienced "callings" in my life, though mine have taken the form of callings to a certain vocation or a particular life-direction. And sometimes I've been confused about exactly where I am going when following that voice and just as uncertain about where I may end up.

It's an old-fashioned word, "calling." It can mean a profession or line of work. Or even a strong inner urge or impulse. In my case, callings have led me to dedicate myself to something I believed I was meant to do in life.

Oprah Winfrey says this about callings: "I've come to believe that each of us has a personal calling that's as unique as a fingerprint – and that the best way to succeed is to discover what you love and then find a way to offer it to others in the form of service, working hard, and also allowing the energy of the universe to lead you."

It is a satisfying thing when we feel called to a worthy purpose. How beautiful (and how rare) it is to believe we are doing just the thing we're meant to do in this life. But is it realistic to think we must do THE ONE THING we were meant to do? How about doing ONE OF THE THINGS we are passionate about? Let me explain.

Consider a Swiss Army pocketknife. It is a multipurpose tool. It can cut, saw, file, snip and open up cans and jars. With it, one can turn a screw, pull out a splinter, pop the cork in a wine bottle and even pick one's teeth. (My advice: never leave home without one.)

You and I are more like Swiss Army knives than butter knives or steak knives. We can DO more than one thing. We can LOVE more than one thing. We can BE more than one thing. Likewise, we may be called to more than one thing.

Like Swiss Army knives, we have options. Ours is to discover those truly worthwhile things we feel led to do and be – things we love, that are life-affirming and deserve our best – and then to commit to them, to give ourselves over fully to them and pursue them with joy. That is what it means to be called. And that is how to make a life count.

But beware of this about callings: they may not lead us where we intended to go or even where we want to go. If we choose to follow, we may have to be willing to let go of the life we already planned and accept whatever is waiting for us. And if the calling is true, though we may not have gone where we intended, we will surely end up where we need to be.

It is like an adventure. Are you ready?

-- Steve Goodier

The Purple Fuzzy

"Mama always used to say that the good Lord only wanted vessels, and empty ones at that, empty ones the he could fill" from the book Elderberry Croft by Becky Doughty

Lynx

On forum threads
An odd regression
Ancient memes
Find new expression
Burma Shave
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

Dear Optimist, Pessimist, and Realist,

While you guys were busy arguing about the glass of water, I drank it.

Sincerely,

the Opportunist.
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

"You know your growing in grace when people notice that you've stopped correcting there mistakes."
"Do you sing at church?"

The Purple Fuzzy

All Used Up

A well-known surgeon was attending a dinner party and watched the host adroitly carve and slice the large turkey for his guests.

When he finished slicing, the host asked, "How did I do, Doc?  I think I'd make a pretty good surgeon, don't you?"

"Perhaps," said the physician. "But anyone can take them apart. Now let's see you put it back together again."

Like surgery, some tasks require special talent, skill or training. There are those who have what it takes to work in an operating room. Others have the kind of aptitude needed to teach a class or repair an automobile, and still others can cook a delicious meal, play a musical instrument well enough that folks want to listen or solve difficult mathematical problems. Some people have a natural ability to relate to others, some people are imaginative problem-solvers, some people can organize almost anything and others possess the gift of empathy. I have yet to meet anyone who does not exhibit a unique talent or ability.

But Spanish cellist Pablo Casals said it well: "Don't be vain because you happen to have talent. You are not responsible for that; it was not of your doing. What you do with your talent is what matters."

And what's the best thing to do with talent and ability? Use it. Use it generously – even extravagantly. And use it for good.

Erma Bombeck was known for her humorous journalism. But she frequently seasoned her writing with pinches of wisdom. At the end of a newspaper column on March 10, 1987, Bombeck wrote these words:
    "I always had a dream that when I am asked to give an accounting of my life to a higher court, it will go like this: 'So, empty your pockets. What have you got left of your life? Any dreams that were unfulfilled? Any unused talent that we gave you when you were born that you still have left? Any unsaid compliments or bits of love that you haven't spread around?
    "And I will answer, 'I've nothing to return. I spent everything you gave me. I'm as naked as the day I was born.'"

She would agree that what we do with what we're given is what matters.

My question is this: what would you find if you emptied your pockets today? Any unused talent? Is there anything inside that should be spent, shared or given away? When it comes to your time and resources are you living a life of extravagant generosity?

I'm going to mentally empty my pockets tonight at bedtime and see if I've been holding back. I think that's important. I want to make sure there is nothing left at the end of the day that could have been used. And then tomorrow I'll see what I can use up.

I can hardly think of a more worthwhile and joyous way to live.

-- Steve Goodier  www.LifeSupportSystem.com

Roscoe

Quote from: Psalm_97 on September 18, 2013, 02:33:38 PM
"You know you're growing in grace when people notice that you've stopped correcting there their mistakes."
NOT GROWING IN GRACE HERE... :laughhard:

And Fuzzy wuz, loved your comment/story there too...
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

The Purple Fuzzy

Not mine.  I just enjoyed it.  See bottom of story for credit to:  -- Steve Goodier  www.LifeSupportSystem.com

Lynx

Thank you Bobby. I was wondering how long it would take before someone took the bait. I thought about using "misteakes" instead, but I figured that would be far too obvious.
"Do you sing at church?"

Roscoe

Quote from: Psalm_97 on November 12, 2013, 07:43:18 PM
Thank you Bobby. I was wondering how long it would take before someone took the bait. I thought about using "misteakes" instead, but I figured that would be far too obvious.
For some reason I hadn't saw the post until this morning. Being as how spelling errors usually drive me wild, I'd have bit on this like a 50 lb catfish if I'd saw it earlier... :laughhard:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Heather

First it's pretty tires, then it's pretty guns....next thing you know you're shavin your beard and wearin capri pants. -Si, from Duck Dynasty about non-stock tires on pickup trucks.  :cool:
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

The Purple Fuzzy

Saw this on FB: 
"Yes God used a donkey, but that donkey isn't going to heaven. Being used BY God is awesome but it's not the same as being right WITH God"

Heather

I saw that on FB! Did you post that or repost it PF or was it on someone else's FB?

'Zebras don't throw rocks.' - Dr Franklin my archaeology teacher
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

The Purple Fuzzy

Someone else posted it, I just thought it was interesting.

Assuredbyfaith

Quote from: Lynx on September 18, 2013, 01:32:06 PM
Dear Optimist, Pessimist, and Realist,

While you guys were busy arguing about the glass of water, I drank it.

Sincerely,

the Opportunist.

The truth on the glass half full; or half empty... You can only answer the question if you know the events leading up to said question! 

Answer: If you poured something into the glass the glass is half full! If you drank from the glass the glass is half empty...it matters little if the quality of the content is poor!!!  If you don't like the life you are living; change it; enhance it...fill it with good things! 

Sincerely, The Assured 😉

Ecclesiastes 9:10 | Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

1 Corinthians 10:31 | Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

Philippians 4:8  | Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things

Colossians 3:17  | And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Colossians 3:23  | And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

Proverbs 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.