Main Menu

Quotes for today 2

Started by The Purple Fuzzy, February 07, 2011, 07:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

"One today is worth two tomorrows."
- Benjamin Franklin
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Lynx

"In ordinary life we hardly realize that we receive a great deal more than we give, and that it is only with gratitude that life becomes rich."
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Tricia Lea

A few quotes from Andy Rooney who just passed away

"People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."
Andy Rooney

"The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong."
Andy Rooney

"Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning 'lousy hunter'"
Andy Rooney

The Purple Fuzzy

Got this in an email:

Burned Biscuits

When I was a kid, my Mom liked to make breakfast food for dinner every now
and then. And I remember one night in particular when she had made
breakfast after a long, hard day at work. On that evening so long ago, my
Mom placed a plate of eggs, sausage and extremely burned biscuits in front
of my dad. I remember waiting to see if anyone noticed!

Yet all my dad did was reach for his biscuit, smile at my Mom and ask me how
my day was at school. I don't remember what I told him that night, but I do
remember watching him smear butter and jelly on that ugly burned biscuit.
He ate every bite of that thing...never made a face nor uttered a word about
it!

When I got up from the table that evening, I remember hearing my Mom
apologize to my dad for burning the biscuits. And I'll never forget what he
said: "Honey, I love burned biscuits every now and then."

Later that night, I went to kiss Daddy good night and I asked him if he
really liked his biscuits burned. He wrapped me in his arms and said, "Your
Momma put in a hard day at work today and she's real tired. And besides - a
little burned biscuit never hurt anyone!"

As I've grown older, I've thought about that many times. Life is full of
imperfect things and imperfect people. I'm not the best at hardly anything
and I forget birthdays and anniversaries just like everyone else. But what
I've learned over the years is that learning to accept each other's faults
and choosing to celebrate each other's differences is one of the most
important keys to creating a healthy, growing, and lasting relationship.

And that's my prayer for you today...that you will learn to take the good,
the bad, and the ugly parts of your life and lay them at the feet of God.
Because in the end, He's the only One who will be able to give you a
relationship where a burnt biscuit isn't a deal-breaker!
We could extend this to any relationship. In fact, understanding is the
base of any relationship, be it a husband-wife or parent-child or
friendship!

Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket - keep it in
your own.

Lynx

But let a guy get a mcdouble that someone forgot to put pickles on one time, just once, and it's the end of the world.  You wouldn't believe how upset people can get over a sandwich they paid a WHOLE DOLLAR for.  You'd think they had special ordered it for the Pope and paid $7,000 for it.

Yes it gets that bad.  I've seen people about to come over the counter because of a 99 cent drink. 

We should have had the burnt biscuit story posted on the front counter and at the drive thru intercom. 
"Do you sing at church?"

Roscoe

Quote from: Psalm_97 on November 18, 2011, 08:21:00 AM
But let a guy get a mcdouble that someone forgot to put pickles on one time, just once, and it's the end of the world.  You wouldn't believe how upset people can get over a sandwich they paid a WHOLE DOLLAR for.  You'd think they had special ordered it for the Pope and paid $7,000 for it.

Yes it gets that bad.  I've seen people about to come over the counter because of a 99 cent drink. 

We should have had the burnt biscuit story posted on the front counter and at the drive thru intercom.
You've never met my wife.  :laughhard: She's polite, but will bring a sandwich back repeatedly if that's what it takes to get it right.... she would not have taken the time to read the story. :lol:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Tricia Lea

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Tricia Lea

It took me a long time not to judge myself through someone else's eyes. ~Sally Field

A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her. ~David Brinkley

It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to. ~W.C. Fields

The courage to be is the courage to accept oneself, in spite of being unacceptable. ~Paul Tillich

The way you treat yourself sets the standard for others. ~Sonya Friedman

iridiscente

RuthAnne H. "Thank God for the Victorias who actually can keep a few secrets!"

Lynx

You know you're old if you can remember when bacon, eggs and sunshine were all good for you.
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life."
- Theodore Roosevelt
"Do you sing at church?"

Heather

'If Eve would have put that apple in a fruitcake Adam would have never ate it and we'd still be in paradise today.' -Sister Julia (Child of God), from Nuncrackers [the play I'm in  :cool:]
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

Lynx

"It's mathematically impossible for everyone to be above average.  But there's no reason you can't be."

- John F. Harrison
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

"Disciples of Christ should not let concerns about what they do or do not have to do blind them to the truth about what they ought to do.  Something can be right without being required.  A person who understands that will not be myopically focused on what you can prove he must do."

- Rev. John F. Harrison

From his book, "Making Mammon Serve You:  A biblical guide for money mastery."
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."
- JohnBurroughs
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

"You know how some dogs get really fat because everyone is always feeding them?  People want to feed them because the dogs act so grateful.  If people acted more grateful for what they got, they'd have a lot more shared with them too."
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

"May you live all the days of your life."
- Jonathan Swift

No, that's not as silly as it seems.  Some people spend a lot of their life just existing.
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

I've been talking about you a lot with the Lord,
There was so much I wanted to say,
I told Him how thankful and helpful you are,
how I treasure you more every day.

I tried to describe how just having you there
can make things more special and fun.
I said how loyal you are to your friends,
and I thanked him for making me one.

And I told him how much I keep learning from you,
how your faith is inspiring to see.
Then I asked Him if He'd let you know how I feel,
and He said you should hear it from me.

- Unknown
"Do you sing at church?"

RainbowJingles

Quote from: Psalm_97 on October 25, 2011, 03:26:44 PM
"So I was watching a halloween marathon, some kind of kitschy thing where they dress up in costume to run a marathon.  I noticed one runner was dressed as a chicken and another runner was dressed as an egg.  Hmm, this could be interesting..."

Sooo...  Which came first??!??!??!??!

Lynx

History does not relate.

But in other news, flight 404 is about to cross the Bermuda Triangle. 

"Error 404:  File not found"

Yeah, I'm guessing that flight's a goner.   :roll:
"Do you sing at church?"

The Purple Fuzzy

Quote from: RainbowJingles on January 09, 2012, 06:05:56 AM
Quote from: Psalm_97 on October 25, 2011, 03:26:44 PM
"So I was watching a halloween marathon, some kind of kitschy thing where they dress up in costume to run a marathon.  I noticed one runner was dressed as a chicken and another runner was dressed as an egg.  Hmm, this could be interesting..."

Sooo...  Which came first??!??!??!??!
Made me think of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuRM7024Llg

RainbowJingles

I was humming that song for a long time after I posted that, PF!  lol

Lynx

That's another bone of contention.  Creationists say the chicken came first because God created animals.  Evolutionists say the egg came first because the creature that eventually evolved into a chicken would not be a true chicken, but the egg the chicken-prototype laid would hatch and grow up to be the first true chicken.

In other news, I ate five scrambled eggs for breakfast.  So for breakfast, the egg came first.  :D

In other, other news, I do believe we have successfully hijacked this thread.  Go us!  :thumbsup2:
"Do you sing at church?"

RainbowJingles

I *believe* the proper forum-ese for that is that we have successfully :pwink: ed the thread.

Lynx

That was before my time.

Quote for the day:  "History is just one thing after another."
"Do you sing at church?"