News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice? -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Things I've been learning....

Started by Melody, August 16, 2007, 07:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melody

My church has been having health classes every Tuesday night.  It's from the people in our church that are in the medical field.  And it's also from a Biblical perspective with scriptures and such.  My hubby and I have become convicted about how we have handled our health and in the light of the things we've learned, we are able to address our health with better understanding. 

Some things I know Sis knows, like about caffene, so I may stick to just the things I had never even heard of before.  Also, I'm not trying to be a medical expert here.  I know that there is a lot of contradicting information in the world so I will not be offering any debate.  If you disagree, that's ok, I'm just repeating what I've learned.  I know people like Sis will probably be able to elaborate even more on stuff or post recent articles that help clarify. 

I warn you, it's nothing radical.  It's just explanations of why the common sense things we know we should be doing are that much more important.

The first thing that all of the instructors talked about was eating more fruits and vegitables.  Simple.  God created Adam and Even out of the ground.  So the ground/plants have most of the same nutrients in them as our bodies need.  God had Adam and Eve eat and tend to the garden.  All they needed was in the vegitation, barring water of course.  Our bodies are designed to digest the things found in vegitation.  But not so with processed foods.  One thing I never knew is that the chemicals used to process foods, the body does not recognize, so it stores it, often as fat.  Not only that but these chemicals being stored up, are linked to diseases.  Diseases that we all say is just from genetics.  I never knew that the stuff I'm eating could be building up in my body, only to one day cause my health to go haywire.  We all have heard about pesticides, but there are so many more....

One of the ladies teaching is a nutritionist.  She has been eating RAW foods for 10 years.  She said that she is in a different zone when it comes to seasons/sicknesses.  She rarely gets sick and when she feels something coming on, she eats a salad (not like we're used to mind you) and takes an extra nap.   She said that does the trick.  Her daughter as a toddler had her eyes start crossing.  When taken to the Dr. he prescribed glasses and said the problem would correct itself.  It didn't and by jr. high the Dr. said surgery was needed.  The now-nutritionist took her to a different Dr. and that Dr. said he wanted to change her diet.  They did, focusing on certain vitamins more to help the process.  Her eyes went back to normal!  Of course she was praying too during all of this.  She said that God told her that we get sick like the world because we eat like the world.  That we are not be full of diseases like them.  And that "not being conformed to this world" is about so much more.  Including the way we are with our health.  Food today is such a marketed and thus monetary business.  Eat fast & rich.  Instead of keeping it clean and simple. 

We get some new taste buds every 3 weeks.  So for all those raw veggies and fruits I don't like, if I stick to it, I will develope a liking for them.  We usually just try something every few years to check if we still don't like it, but sometimes we can be lustful for food, wanting only what is rich and savory and looks apealing instead of what's wholesome.  Not that healthy foods can't be all those things, but we are advertised to so much that our world says the big mac with onion rings is better than a salad, and we eat that way and get used to that, so do our taste buds.

So simple huh?  lol  I'm going to have to sit down and type out what's on all the handouts I have.  So stay tuned!

*I'm also on about my last month of Colonix.  Since I've started I feel SO much better.  I didn't realize I didn't feel good in the first place really.  Interestingly, my desire for a lot of junk food has decreased, sometimes causing me to feel like it's down right gross.  But I couldn't say that before, I would have been pretty happy to eat a pizza with chips, dip, pop, chocolate cake, and Pepsi! I also used to crave Pepsi sometimes too, and I haven't for a while....*

Sis

Good stuff. Do you have more?

I really don't want to see this thread turn into a debate. Let's just read, or add to it if we have something.

Since my thyroid went hypo, I've been looking into healthier ways of doing things. The one thing that bothers me the most, is the processed foods are cheaper, so people on limited incomes tend to go for them.

Sugar is another problem, and it makes you crave certain foods. Watch how much sugar you take in. There are foods with natural sugars, like vegetables, which are good. And you need sugars for certain body functions, but we don't need as much as Americans eat. It makes people lethargic. Then they go to pills to pep them up. Pills or Jolt Cola!  :laughhard:

Melody

I went to a nutrition meeting with that same nutritionist mentioned above and asked the Dr. last night about fruit being a diaretic and she said that some fruit have a lot of sugar.  Even though it's natural sugar, too much of the fruit high in sugar can be a diaretic and still cause you to gain weight.  But if you balance them with fruit that isn't so high in sugar, then it helps.  I never knew that before.  One thing for sure is that it takes discipline and hard work and so many just don't feel that putting that much effort into it.  I know I'm just starting to be healthier and it's HARD.

A. Here is a list of high sugar fruits and low sugar fruits. High sugar fruits are still low in calories and very high in nutrition. They don't need to be avoided, unless you are in the initial stages of a low carb diet.

High Sugar Fruit
Apples,
Cherries,
Grapes,
Loganberries,
Kumquats,
Mangoes,
Pears,
Pineapple,
Pomegranates,
Bananas,
Figs,
Prunes,
Dried Fruits

Low Carb Fruit
Cantaloupe,
Rhubarb,
Berries,
Watermelon,
Melons,
Tomatoes,
Apricots,
Grapefruit,
Guava,
Lemons,
Limes,
Oranges,
Papayas,
Peaches,
Plums,
Raspberries,
Tangerines,
Kiwis

Remember to eat whole fruits instead of juice most of the time. Fruit juices don't have the fiber of whole fruits. Fiber will keep you feeling full longer.

http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyournutritionist/f/hi_sugar.htm

Melody

One thing I just learned.  There was a recent study that said when pop reaches 86* one of the ingredients turns to formaldehyde!!!   And that the methanol in it is one bit away from antifreeze!  Oh the harm in pop I never knew...  and I was hoping Pepsi would be in heaven..... LOL

here is a site that says it better than me...

Let's take a look at some of the major components of a can of soda:

Phosphoric Acid: May interfere with the body's ability to use calcium, which can lead to osteoporosis or softening of the teeth and bones. Phosphoric acid also neutralizes the hydrochloric acid in your stomach, which can interfere with digestion, making it difficult to utilize nutrients.

Sugar: Soft drink manufacturers are the largest single user of refined sugar in the United States. It is a proven fact that sugar increases insulin levels, which can lead to high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, weight gain, premature aging and many more negative side effects. Most sodas include over 100 percent of the RDA of sugar.

Aspartame: This chemical is used as a sugar substitute in diet soda. There are over 92 different health side effects associated with aspartame consumption including brain tumors, birth defects, diabetes, emotional disorders and epilispsy/seizures. Further, when aspartame is stored for long periods of time or kept in warm areas it changes to methanol, an alcohol that converts to formaldehyde and formic acid, which are known carcinogens.

Caffeine: Caffeinated drinks cause jitters, insomnia, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, elevated blood cholesterol levels, vitamin and mineral depletion, breast lumps, birth defects, and perhaps some forms of cancer.

Tap Water: I recommend that everyone avoid drinking tap water because it can carry any number of chemicals including chlorine, trihalomethanes, lead, cadmium, and various organic pollutants. Tap water is the main ingredient in bottled soft drinks.

Soda is one of the main reasons, nutritionally speaking, why many people suffer health problems. Aside from the negative effects of the soda itself, drinking a lot of soda is likely to leave you with little appetite for vegetables, protein and other food that your body needs. 

http://www.mercola.com/2003/jul/9/soda_dangers.htm

Sis

QuoteSugar: Soft drink manufacturers are the largest single user of refined sugar in the United States. It is a proven fact that sugar increases insulin levels, which can lead to high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, weight gain, premature aging and many more negative side effects. Most sodas include over 100 percent of the RDA of sugar.

From all I've read, (My parents were diabetic) that fruit sugars will do the same thing. Sometimes people are proud that they don't eat candy but pig out on fruit all day. It may have the same problems associated with it. Diabetics can only have so much. Insulin resistance is another problem coming from too much sugar.

Babs

not sure how much you have read on it, but i take organic apple cider vinegar. has some really good things it does, weightloss is one, lower blood pressure, its colon cleanser, lowers your sugar, if you are interrested i can post a few links about it. you only have to take 1-2 tablespoons a day, and you can make salad dressing with it, or mix it in something to drink
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

Melody

sure thanks!  I couldn't find this site to post more in so thanks for bumping it too!

I read an article on another site about seafood and pork that about made me lose my apetite.  It seems while it has nothing to do with sin, those foods are not good for us at all.  I'll see if I can find the article.

iridiscente

Have you tried (naturally) gluten-free sweet potato flour?

Melody

No, I haven't even seen that.  Have you tried it?  How'd it work?  Sounds like it would be wonderful.

Lynx

You take an idea and run with it, don't ya? ;)

Quote from: iridiscente on May 29, 2011, 03:35:39 AM
Have you tried (naturally) gluten-free sweet potato flour?
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

iridiscente

Yes, Isaac told me about it, and I'm definitely going to research it more! (Props to Isaac!)
Isaac also said it was delicious!

Lynx

Good food is like a good joke or good chocolate.  It is only best when shared.

You hit the ground running though.  I didn't even know it was gluten free.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Roscoe

Quote from: Psalm_97 on May 29, 2011, 09:11:23 PM
Good food is like a good joke or good chocolate.  It is only best when shared.

You hit the ground running though.  I didn't even know it was gluten free.

While I know nothing about anything else you guys are discussing here, I take issue with this statement. Call me a GreedyGut, but chocolate is best consumed alone, with no one to share it with. I want it all!  :laughhard:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison