News:

You can reach your profile and change its settings here.

Main Menu

Could you vote for Newt?

Started by taco_harvell, January 20, 2012, 05:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taco_harvell

Could you vote for Newt Gingrich?

It's clear his morals and ethics are questionable. He has made decisions in his personal life that would make me question if he could make sound decisions as a leader.

I am not sure I could cast a vote for the guy. However I have many friends who say none of that matters and he is a good politician. The real answer though for many of them I think is he isn't Obama and he isn't Mormon so he is the only option in their mind.

I just don't think I could vote for the guy.
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

Roscoe

While he's definately not my first choice, and in no way do I endorse his personal life and lack of morals, I'd vote for him. If he is the candidate that is posed to run against Obama. Of course, to be completely candid, I'd vote for my chihuahu for president before I would Obama.
While his track record of morals is poor, Newt IS a good politician, and from what I've saw, probably the smartest man on the debates. Romney worries me because I don't know that he can beat Obama. And face it, his healthcare system in his home state is where the basic blueprint for Obamacare came from. Be kinda hard to bash a man who copied your ideas on a national level. And in my opinion, the Obamacare issue is a major one in this race. It speaks to the very basic fundamentals of freedom- is it infringing on personal freedom to force someone to buy healthcare?
  I worry about the economy and the jobs situation, but I worry more about the constant erosion of our freedom. I worry about the United States becoming and remaining the Welfare State that it currently is, and if someone tries common sense- drug test, anyone? - it immediatly becomes an ivasion of privacy and constitutionally wrong.
*Mini- rant here " IT IS NOT YOUR RIGHT TO COLLECT WELFARE BENEFITS. IT IS A PRIVELEDGE AND A HELPING HAND UP NOT A HAND OUT. GET OFF YOUR BUTT AND GO TO WORK. And if I have to be drug tested to work a job and pay taxes, then you bet your sweet bottom if you are taking welfare you better be drug tested too. I don't mind helping someone up, but I am tired of paying for your drugs, cigarettes, alcohol and lottery tickets.  ** Rant over**
Having said that, I think Newt would be better equipped to take on Obama. He's a polished speaker, he has experience, and he has came out about his moral lapses and claims to have repented. Whether that's true or not is between him and God, but at least he's got his skeletons out of the closet so they won't be used as an ambush by the liberals.
Now that I've went on a tirade about politics, to answer the question- Yes. I'd vote for him. But I fear I won't have the choice, as Romney will probably be the candidate.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

taco_harvell

I just don't think I could do cast a vote for him. His morals and ethics remind me of Bill Clinton. I really wish someone like Huckabee would step up and run as a 3rd party candidate. Right now I don't feel like there is a decent choice out there except maybe Santorum.

Roscoe

Quote from: taco_harvell on January 22, 2012, 11:19:19 AM
I just don't think I could do cast a vote for him. His morals and ethics remind me of Bill Clinton. I really wish someone like Huckabee would step up and run as a 3rd party candidate. Right now I don't feel like there is a decent choice out there except maybe Santorum.
In normal times, I wouldn't. But these aren't normal times and I can't pick and choose as I'd like. Santorum, I like, but he won't get enough votes to make it to the big race, IMHO. Truthfully, I'm not casting a vote "for" any of the Republican candidates- I'm casting one AGAINST Obama. And I refuse to stand by and not vote against him.
I was pulling for Huckabee, too. I really like him. He was a good Governor and a moral man.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

rootbeer

I really don't know; I will have to give it some more thought.  I would prefer Santorum but he probably won't win because he tells the truth.  People are more likely to vote for someone that says he will do things that he cannot do.
The name of the Lord is a strong tower.

BrothaJason

Only candidate that is refreshing is Ron Paul, the rest of them are nothing but disappointing. So no I won't be voting for any of them, probably do a write in.

Scott

They are all a bunch of idiots, liars and cheats. I don't trust any of them any farther than I can throw an Africa Bull Elephant!

Newt is a liar and a Cheat!

Mitt is involved in a Cult!

Sarah Palin - was handled improperly. They tossed her in the ring too fast and she wasn't ready.

Ron Paul is nuts.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

BrothaJason

Ron Paul is nuts eh? Not exactly, that's more Palin.

taco_harvell

Ron Paul is the scariest of all candidates. His policies would drive our country  in the ground both globally and domestically.

BrothaJason

Sounds like you've been listening to too much propaganda eh?

BrothaJason

I'll also assume you didn't like it when he brought up the golden rule in the debates either.

taco_harvell

Quote from: BrothaJason on January 24, 2012, 04:40:51 AM
Sounds like you've been listening to too much propaganda eh?
No, actually I took the time to read his own words. The guy would cause more damage to this country then we are already in. His ideas especially when it comes to the military and national defense are ridiculous.

Scott

Palin is not nuts. She was not handled properly. She was clearly an attempt by the GOP to offset McCain's  views. After all, he had  previously left the GOP and became an Independent then came back to be a GOP'er once again. His Politics tended to lean middle to left, she is a right leaner.  Also add in her youth and eye appeal.  They should have brought her along slowly and then ran her this year rather than 2008.

She is a Pentecostal and attended a Jesus Name AOG church in Alaska. A little known fact is that there are still Acts 2:28 AOG churches. I did see the video where the pastor introduced her and let it be known that he baptized her in Jesus Name.

She is an Alaska girl and they do live a different life style up there, guns, hunting and fishing are an every day part of life.

Paul has some odd and scary ideas. The scary part is that if nominated or if he runs a 3rd party - Jess Ventura may be his running mate. Trust me...that is scary.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

BrothaJason

Sorry but Palin comes off nuts to many people. Perfect example is the Paul Revere gaff she made, then continued to deny that she was wrong. Throw in the tea party aspect and she's a big turnoff for people. Put her in a cabinet position? Sure. But I would never want her to run for president. Don't even get me started on her politics lol.

On to Paul, yes some of his ideas are out there. But by no means will that crazy stuff get passed. Paul is refreshing to me because he speaks alot of truth although he has no chance. Rest of the candidates just make me sick unfortunately :/

Scott

Quote from: BrothaJason on January 25, 2012, 03:33:31 PM
Sorry but Palin comes off nuts to many people.

Only to the liberal media who will do or say anything to smack down any potential GOP front runner.

QuotePerfect example is the Paul Revere gaff she made, then continued to deny that she was wrong.

Any public speaker will make mistakes when talking, and quite often they don't realize what they said and sometimes don't even remember making the mistake.

A pastor friend of mine once preached that Jonah was swallowed by a "Whale of a belly" without realizing it. The church lost it laughing and when his wife told him what he said, it took 15 or 20 minutes before he could stop laughing and giggling.  Did that Gaff make him nuts or an idiot?  Nope, it meant that he was human.

JFK had one of the most famous Gaff's in Political history, standing in Berlin trying to be clever; he tried to say I am a Berliner, but it came out "I am a jelly donut".  It happens.

A Missionary to Africa once preached on Jesus telling the man to take up his bed and walk, however it was the first time he preached in that language and he said "Drink your milk and get out of here"  -verbal mistakes  and all public speakers make them.

False Messiah Obama once goofed and made a comment about being Muslim, when he meant to say that he wasn't Muslim.

Then we have George W. Bush - he had a speech impediment and it showed - it doesn't make him nuts.

As a guy who has been a public speaker for more than 25 years and dealing with a speech impediment .. I've learned not to judge someone by their speaking mistakes, but by their actions.

QuoteThrow in the tea party aspect and she's a big turnoff for people.

Nothing wrong with the Tea Party aspect. They were much less problematic than these OWS idiots.  The cops in my town didn't mind the Tea Party people, but they absolutely detested and laughed at the OWS.  I was in a cop shop recently when a bunch of OWS tried to demonstrate there then moved on to demonstrate at a Monster Truck Rally.  THOSE are some goofy people.

QuotePut her in a cabinet position? Sure. But I would never want her to run for president. Don't even get me started on her politics lol.

There is nothing wrong with her politics if a person tends to be a Conservative. Ms. Palin is one of the more conservative people in the GOP.

The problem with the Liberal Media is that if you are Black, Asian, Hispanic, Jewish, Gay or pretty/handsome and not Liberal - you are painted as a nut or loony.

On to Paul, yes some of his ideas are out there. But by no means will that crazy stuff get passed. Paul is refreshing to me because he speaks alot of truth although he has no chance. Rest of the candidates just make me sick unfortunately :/

I don't necessarily think that Paul speaks the truth, he is simply another in the line of "out there" candidates that crop up every few years. He is our current version of Ross Perot. Ross said the same things 20 odd years ago - he even had a commercial where he advocated throw out the Rascals - basically stating that you never re elect anyone.

If you check presidential political history (I am married to a poli-sci major), you will notice that there is always a fringe person that some how gets tossed into the mix.

Ron Paul is a conspiracy theory buff whose side kicks include Jesse Ventura - who is nuttier now than when he was the MN Gov.

The Never Ending Battle

Heather

I'm a registered democrat.....
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

taco_harvell

Quote from: HeatherB on January 26, 2012, 04:00:05 AM
Being from the south though being registered democrat doesn't mean much. I read somewhere something like 65% of all southerners claim to be democrats yet most vote republican.

Lynx

I'm a registered independent.  I vote wherever I think I oughta vote.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Heather

Quote from: taco_harvell on January 26, 2012, 05:51:07 AM
Quote from: HeatherB on January 26, 2012, 04:00:05 AM
Being from the south though being registered democrat doesn't mean much. I read somewhere something like 65% of all southerners claim to be democrats yet most vote republican.

I've only voted republican twice and that was for local elections only.

BrothaJason

@Scott...I don't know where to start, won't even go into the Ron Paul stuff because clearly you think he is a conspiracy nut and just a fringe candidate. Palins gaff was more than a mistake in the moment, she continued it in a interview where someone flat out said she was wrong in her history. Her politics are just annoying to me sorry, but IMO she is full of *Oh my, I need to improve my vocabulary*. I respect your opinion, but I probably won't be voting this year. But I wouldn't worry too much looks like the elites want Obama gone.

Scott

Quote from: BrothaJason on February 05, 2012, 06:12:28 AM
@Scott...I don't know where to start, won't even go into the Ron Paul stuff because clearly you think he is a conspiracy nut and just a fringe candidate.

It is not a matter of what I think. It is what he says and who he associates with.  Alex Jones and Jesse Ventura - two of the biggest conspiracy theory nuts out there.

There is much about him to fear and even scarier who would be his VP? Some money is on Jesse Ventura and with Pauls advanced age - you have to look at the VP.

Palins gaff was more than a mistake in the moment, she continued it in a interview where someone flat out said she was wrong in her history. Her politics are just annoying to me sorry, but IMO she is full of *Oh my, I need to improve my vocabulary*.

I blame GOP leadership for Palin. She was mishandled from the get go

I respect your opinion, but I probably won't be voting this year. But I wouldn't worry too much looks like the elites want Obama gone.

if you do not vote, you do not have the legitimate right to complain about the government. Participation, even in a losing cause lets your voice be heard.

The Never Ending Battle

BrothaJason

Is Ventura guaranteed? And it is your opinion, to automatically write him off. So what if he is friends with Jones and Ventura. I've never believed that Paul had a chance, but I think some of his views are refreshing for freedom sake. And btw the whole if you don't vote you have no say is so stupid, either I vote for a lame GOP candidate or vote independent which is a wasted vote basically. I've voted in the past, tired of voting for a nominee that I know is lame. Maybe I will get motivated enough by election time.

Lynx

Attack ideas, not people. 

I'm not a moderator here, just a voice for caution.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Scott

Quote from: BrothaJason on February 06, 2012, 05:27:56 AM
Is Ventura guaranteed?

Nothing is guaranteed except Death and the second coming.

QuoteAnd it is your opinion, to automatically write him off.

I've been around quite a few years and I have seen his type come and go. They come with cute sayings to pull on the heart strings, then boom, you dig into their background and find out what they are really like.

Yes I write him off because he is another in a long line of odd ducks who crop up each and every election time.

QuoteSo what if he is friends with Jones and Ventura.

You are known by the company you keep.

QuoteI've never believed that Paul had a chance, but I think some of his views are refreshing for freedom sake.

Refreshing views? Here are some of his stances...

QuoteWants to end birthright citizenship. Believes that emergency rooms should have the right to turn away illegal immigrants.

Doctors take an oath to provide medical treatment to all.  This view would condemn people to death because they are illegal? 

Quote"The ADA should have never been passed," Paul says. The treatment of the handicapped should be determined by the free market.''

Sounds good - in reality the free market had it before and they blew it big time.  This is lip service to those right wingers who think everyone is out to get their money or infringe on their right to mistreat people.

QuoteWould not have voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964 because it was a "massive violation of private property and contract, which are the bedrocks of a free society."

So Blacks would NOT be able to vote, own guns or send their children to the school of their choice. Whites only water fountains and blacks only water fountains. My great grandfather the Ku Klux Klanner would have loved him. 

QuoteLegalize All Drugs: Including cocaine and heroin.

Yes they are what the legal system calls "victimless crimes" - but the victims are the addicts.

QuoteLet the Oldest Profession Be: Paul wants to legalize prostitution at the federal level.

Ba'al worship had two gods they worshiped, one of the gods required sexual sacrifice, there were male and female temple priests and the men and women would have sex with their temple priests/priestesses. Hence God (big G) condemned Whoring after other gods!  The scriptures forbid adultery and fornication and in several places condemned whoring.

Paul wants to legalize something that attacks the core of the family - the core of our God given values.

QuoteBelieves that Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid are unconstitutional, and has compared the failure of federal courts to strike them down to the courts' failure to abolish slavery in the 19th century.

In other words, grandmother and grandfather would lose their income and access to health care. Only the extreme rich could afford to survive past 65. Not everyone has a nice pension, family that can care for them and wait for it... a pension as a Senator AND a hefty income as a doctor.... Can we say "hypocrite?"

Other issues

His conspiracy theory belief that the US Gov't knew about 9/11 in advance and is hiding things...

He described the killing of Osama bin Laden as "absolutely not necessary."

He affirmed that he would not have sent American troops to Europe to end the Holocaust.

He published a newsletter stating that the 1993 World Trade Center attack might have been "a setup by the Israeli Mossad,"

He defended former Ku Klux Klan Grand Wizard David Duke, and criticized the "evil of forced integration.

Yes such refreshing racist bigoted ideas!

Quote(1)And btw the whole if you don't vote you have no say is so stupid, either I vote for a lame GOP candidate or vote independent which is a wasted vote basically.

It sounds like if you cannot vote for a guaranteed winner, you will sit back and do nothing? *shrug*

:copcar: Management note - Your comment (1) was a direct personal attack and a violation of the rules of the board.. Note ended :copcar:

I've voted in the past, tired of voting for a nominee that I know is lame. Maybe I will get motivated enough by election time.

Every one we vote for will not win, but if enough people think that their vote won't matter, the election will be lost. Everyone needs to vote.

The Never Ending Battle

Heather

My family has come to the conclusion......Mitt Romney is in fact a robot...