Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Ex 8:20-32

Started by clark thompson, September 02, 2013, 02:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clark thompson

Exodus 8:20-32

King James Version (KJV)

20 And the Lord said unto Moses, Rise up early in the morning, and stand before Pharaoh; lo, he cometh forth to the water; and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord, Let my people go, that they may serve me.

21 Else, if thou wilt not let my people go, behold, I will send swarms of flies upon thee, and upon thy servants, and upon thy people, and into thy houses: and the houses of the Egyptians shall be full of swarms of flies, and also the ground whereon they are.

22 And I will sever in that day the land of Goshen, in which my people dwell, that no swarms of flies shall be there; to the end thou mayest know that I am the Lord in the midst of the earth.

23 And I will put a division between my people and thy people: to morrow shall this sign be.

24 And the Lord did so; and there came a grievous swarm of flies into the house of Pharaoh, and into his servants' houses, and into all the land of Egypt: the land was corrupted by reason of the swarm of flies.

25 And Pharaoh called for Moses and for Aaron, and said, Go ye, sacrifice to your God in the land.

26 And Moses said, It is not meet so to do; for we shall sacrifice the abomination of the Egyptians to the Lord our God: lo, shall we sacrifice the abomination of the Egyptians before their eyes, and will they not stone us?

27 We will go three days' journey into the wilderness, and sacrifice to the Lord our God, as he shall command us.

28 And Pharaoh said, I will let you go, that ye may sacrifice to the Lord your God in the wilderness; only ye shall not go very far away: intreat for me.

29 And Moses said, Behold, I go out from thee, and I will intreat the Lord that the swarms of flies may depart from Pharaoh, from his servants, and from his people, to morrow: but let not Pharaoh deal deceitfully any more in not letting the people go to sacrifice to the Lord.

30 And Moses went out from Pharaoh, and intreated the Lord.

31 And the Lord did according to the word of Moses; and he removed the swarms of flies from Pharaoh, from his servants, and from his people; there remained not one.

32 And Pharaoh hardened his heart at this time also, neither would he let the people go.

Exodus 8:20-32

Jubilee Bible 2000 (JUB)

20 ΒΆ And the LORD said unto Moses, Rise up early in the morning and stand before Pharaoh; behold, he goes forth to the water and say unto him, The LORD hath said thus, Let my people go that they may serve me.

21 For if thou wilt not let my people go, behold, I will send swarms of flies upon thee and upon thy slaves and upon thy people and into thy houses; and the houses of the Egyptians shall be full of all kinds of flies and also the ground upon which they are.

22 And I will separate in that day the land of Goshen, in which my people dwell, that no kind of flies shall be there to the end that thou may know that I am the LORD in the midst of the earth.

23 And I will put redemption between my people and thy people. Tomorrow shall this sign be.

24 And the LORD did so: that there came a grievous swarm of flies into the house of Pharaoh and into his slaves' houses and into all the land of Egypt; and the land was corrupted by reason of the swarm of flies.

25 Then Pharaoh called for Moses and for Aaron and said, Go ye, sacrifice to your God in the land of Egypt.

26 And Moses replied, It is not convenient to do so; for we shall sacrifice the abomination of the Egyptians to the LORD our God. Behold, if we sacrifice the abomination of the Egyptians before their eyes, will they not stone us?

27 We will go three days' journey into the wilderness and sacrifice to the LORD our God as he has said unto us.

28 And Pharaoh said, I will let you go that ye may sacrifice to the LORD your God in the wilderness; only ye shall not go very far away; pray for me.

29 And Moses answered, Behold, as I go out from thy presence, I will intreat the LORD that the swarms of flies may depart from Pharaoh, from his slaves, and from his people tomorrow; if Pharaoh will not deal deceitfully any more in not letting the people go to sacrifice to the LORD.

30 Then Moses went out from Pharaoh, and prayed unto the LORD.

31 And the LORD did according to the word of Moses, and he removed the swarms of flies from Pharaoh, from his slaves, and from his people; there remained not one.

32 And Pharaoh even hardened his heart this time and did not let the people go.

Jubilee Bible 2000 (JUB)
2000, 2001, 2010 by LIFE SENTENCE Publishing

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

20 This had happened in the exact way before; the first time this happened was the plague where the water turned to blood. God often will give warning many times before He pours out His wrath on us. It was God's plan that His people go back to the Promised Land.

21 There was an Egyptian god with a fly for a head and this is who God shoots down with this plague. All of Egypt was affected by this plague but Israel was not.

22 God often spares those who serve Him from His wrath. He spared Israel to show that He was their Lord.

23 We as believers of the Lord should be separated from the world as, Israel was separated from Egypt. The world will cause this division because the believers dwell in the light but the world is of the darkness, it is the same with Israel and Egypt.

24 The plague comes, an attack of flies. Flies are pests individually. Many flies can cause many problems. After the bloody water the frogs and lice these flies would have been just added to the problems they still may have not recovered from yet. The Nile turned to blood forcing the frogs out of it causing the 2nd plague the frogs died causing lice and then flies to grow in number. God started a cause an effect with the plagues.

25 Pharaoh says they can go worship God; he has said this before but changed his mind.

26 Moses did not want to worship God with the Egyptians around. Church services today are to be the believers coming away from the world to worship the Lord; this is what Moses wanted for his worship.

27 This is the plan God had told Moses but, He had bigger plans than this. This plan was just to test the people of Israel and test Pharaoh on following God's commands.

28 Pharaoh finally decides to allow them to do what God wants. We should not step in the way of others doing God's will.

29 Pharaoh is bargaining with God's will here, we often do this. Pharaoh asked Moses to pray to God for them to be healed. Pharaoh had also said all this before. Moses wanted Pharaoh to stay true to his word. Jesus said it is better to make no promises or oaths than to break them. Pharaoh was not willing to let the people go even though he said he would.

30 Moses prayed for Pharaoh. We as believers should pray for our enemies.

31 God did what Moses asked of Him. While God will not always do everything we pray for He will consider what we want, often times God's plans are bigger than ours. God's plans here are bigger than Moses, Moses plans on God allow them to be free to serve Him even though they live in Egypt but, God plans on letting His people go to the land they are promised.

32 Pharaoh again became an ungrateful liar.
The Lord made a Way.