News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice? -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Gluten Free

Started by Melody, February 13, 2014, 12:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melody

I know I talk about food all the time it seems but if anyone is interested in trying to eat better or Gluten Free recipes, here's a new thread.

The whole deal with gluten:  It's the protein part of the wheat berry.  It's what makes dough elastic compared to like, cornbread.

Way back in our grandparents' day, they started experimenting with the seeds to make them bug resistant and hardier.  This is GMO = Genetically Modified Organism, it escapes me if the O is for organism... lol

80% of flour from wheat  that you buy in the store, is GMO'd.  Then, on top of that, lots of crazy pesticides to kill wheat eating bugs have been sprayed all over crops.  Pesticides that now some have found to be hazardous to our health, and others, it's just a matter of time before those are too. 

The GMO'd protein part of the wheat berry is not really gluten anymore.  It's called "gliadin" which acts like an opiate and makes a person crave and end up eating hundreds of calories more than those that don't, and not just because it's "comfort food." 

Bleached flour has had a plethora of chemicals used to whiten it. 

Most of all the nutrients are processed out.  Anything "enriched" or "fortified" means lab chemicals that are proposed to act the same as vitamins.  But they are not vitamins. 

Also, what breaks down flour from wheat in our gut is probiotics.  Those are in fermented foods like sauerkraut and cultured dairy products like buttermilk and yogurt.  If we're not getting enough to balance out all the foods with flour, the wheat/gluten doesn't break down.  It's hard on the tummy and can be like an infection.  Without intervention it can eat a hole through the intestine causing "leaky gut." 

Sugar makes it more intense.  The issue usually starts as acne, bloating, gassiness, IBS.  Most people who have an issue don't realize it's this.

So.  It's not really some crazy thing that anyone's body reaches a point and starts rejecting foods with wheat/gluten in them.  It's proving to cause hyperness in kids, like an allergy.

While some idiots may do it as a Fad, it started as a valid issue.  It's hard to work around and it's hard to deal with all the tummy troubles when one doesn't. 

I keep a decent balance because I don't buy into the medication side of it.  Nor do I buy into the idea that man should never eat wheat because it's a grass because God made it clear that bread was GOOD in the Bible.  They had raw dairy though, natural wheat and grains, no chemicals, and made bread the SLOW way that helps break wheat down to easily digest compared to the instant way store bought bread is made. 

If you made it through reading all that, just imagine how annoying it is to live with it.  God does it best, man keeps perverting everything good, basically.   :biglaugh:

Melody

I'm getting ready to head to work but I'll post some recipes here. 

For me though, the easiest thing is to take the flour foods out and increase meat and veggies and fruit.  God has made tons of wonderful foods that I didn't even know about before all this.   

SippinTea

I am totally following this thread. Before I figured out that Arabella was gluten-intolerant, I never would have even considered cutting wheat out of my diet. But now, because I've HAD to.... well, the learning curve has been steep. And with an infant, I haven't had the time to research like I've needed to. *wry grin* The pediatrician was NO help in tracking this down for her. But.... YAY MOM, we figured it out anyhow. ;) And we've gone from her waking up every 20 minutes, and screaming for hours on end (and in case anyone thinks I'm exaggerating, I'm not - you can ask the string of witnesses if you like) to sleeping 2-3 hours at a stretch, and now we're getting to more like 4 hours at a stretch. I thought the gluten-free thing was just a silly fad until I started putting some pieces together for Baby, and saw what a huge difference it made. Getting sleep is hard enough with a baby. Getting sleep with a baby who has colic is next to impossible. :smirk2:

In any case, I'm taking notes here. :)

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

Lynx

A colicky baby... *shudder* I know you're not exaggerating. 

I'm fighting the good fight from the other end, only eating bread made the old fashioned way.  It has gluten, but it's nothing like the bread at the store.  And frankly I think it tastes much better.  But I will be keeping an eye on this thread because I like to cook, and one never knows... I might need to cook for someone who's gluten-intolerant one day. 

One question - does sweet potato flour fall in the list of flours you mentioned that are just empty carbs?  I always thought of sweet potatoes as healthy, many trace elements, minerals, etc.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Melody

Quote from: Psalm_97 on February 13, 2014, 12:13:55 PMI'm fighting the good fight from the other end, only eating bread made the old fashioned way.  It has gluten, but it's nothing like the bread at the store.  And frankly I think it tastes much better.  But I will be keeping an eye on this thread because I like to cook, and one never knows... I might need to cook for someone who's gluten-intolerant one day. 

This is how I figured I had an issue.  I started making whole wheat bread after reading just a little bit on white flour.  But we were so unbalanced not having probiotics.  And it was regular ole wheat flour from the store.  So our tummies got overwhelmed.  My stomach swelled up all the way to my feet. For Four days.  Luckily I had a fantastic doctor.

QuoteOne question - does sweet potato flour fall in the list of flours you mentioned that are just empty carbs?  I always thought of sweet potatoes as healthy, many trace elements, minerals, etc.

Sweet potato flour is great.  It is starchy but better than white potato flour.  Everything with color beats white.  I have never personally used sweet potato flour but I know sweet potatoes are fantastic for you and I do use them in foods.  I'd equate them with pumpkin and similar squashes.

Most GF flours are more starch than protein so they don't get the elasticity of wheat flour.  We use a bit of xanthum gum or arrow root powder to help bind the flour better. 

The more foods and recipes I try, the more I love how many foods are out there and bread becomes less of a big deal.

Like this awesome recipe I am really excited to make this week!

http://remcooks.com/2012/02/02/roasted-cauliflower-with-red-chile-cilantro-lime/

Lynx

Roasted is good. Usually the only thing people can think of to do with cauliflower is boil it.

Speaking of quinoa, I tried some of that at mom's house. I was looking around for something to make for supper and I saw these two packets up in the cabinet. She was going to put spaghetti sauce in it (really? is that the only thing you can think of to do with it, treat it like spaghetti?) but I tried a little garlic, a little butter and a little lemon juice. I had never tried quinoa before, but just looking at it I I had the feeling lemon juice would go well in it. And it did.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Melody

We really like cheesy cauliflower breadsticks! 

I use brown rice pasta and we really enjoy that.
I make more rice dishes and more diverse types of rice.
I make cornbread without reg. flour.
I use almond and millet flour mostly for cookies.
Tortillas are pretty easy to make.
I really like spagetti squash and it makes for a great lasagna too.
There are Gf oats. Oats are GF but a lot of times they are pkg'd right along side wheat stuff so you have to get specifically GF.
Pacific brand broths are GF.
Cooking mushrooms and cream makes a lovely cream of mushroom soup. It's fairly easy to make your own cream of soups without flour.
Xanthum gum is great for thickening soups and gravies and puddings and sauces. I almost prefer it now
You can make really decent biscuits still.
MSG makes things tricky so I avoid it.

SippinTea

So. I have a couple questions. I could probably find the answers if I Googled long enough, but... uhh... like I said earlier, my research time is rather limited. :-? So I shall ask you, the local expert, and hope you know the answers I need. :bigcheese:

I have a Namaste flour blend that I love, for things when I need to substitute straight accross (cup for cup), but I know individual flours can't be used that way. Wellll.... A friend gave me several different flours to use, and since it's not feasible for me to buy xanthan gum and mix them myself.... what are the things I could make/bake using just ONE of the non-wheat flours? Can I make muffins with them - substituting cup for cup - since those are much more dense anyhow?

Melody

Melody

Quote from: SippinTea on February 14, 2014, 03:30:29 AMI have a Namaste flour blend that I love, for things when I need to substitute straight accross (cup for cup), but I know individual flours can't be used that way. Wellll.... A friend gave me several different flours to use, and since it's not feasible for me to buy xanthan gum and mix them myself.... what are the things I could make/bake using just ONE of the non-wheat flours? Can I make muffins with them - substituting cup for cup - since those are much more dense anyhow?

Ok, I have written and rewritten my answer. 

They're not all dense in the same way.  Some absorb your liquid differently giving you any result from cornbread to cardboard consistency.  Every recipe has to have a binder so unless it calls for a ton of eggs, it'll be tricky without xanthum gum or protein rich flours.  FLAX meal does help!  It acts similar to eggs so it's a inexpensive investment.

It'd be easier for you to tell me what flours you have.  There is no standard answer because different flours act different and require different measurements.  The best cup for cup flours are the high protein ones.  Those you can pretty much do cup for cup or mostly and some starchy flour.  Except for nut flours since those aren't going to act like grains at all.

Lead with high protein flours.  I'm not sure I quite understand what you're saying; that you can't get xanthum gum at all right now or aren't wanting to embark on making your own premix all purpose flours that include it?

I only use xanthum gum per recipe. I haven't had any in the house handy for maybe 6mo. now.  But it helped greatly starting out.  I cannot afford to make some great all purpose premixed flour blend.  Nor do I want to.  While some are great for certain things, I've yet to find one that really covers everything, isn't empty carbs= makes me fat and still hungry, and is affordable.  So I use some for this and some for that.  But mainly, I buy as needed, which I've learned to decrease. 

Melody

For example:

This recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/downeast-maine-pumpkin-bread/detail.aspx

I can easily switch to GF by using any of these cup for cup or mostly cup for cup with a little starchy flour
Quinoa
chickpea/garbanzo bean
millet
coconut flour
almond meal
Teff
buckwheat (which is not really wheat) and a little starchy flour.

However if I use a bean I double my spices so as not to taste whatever that taste is.  I've made this for scores of people and they cannot tell it's GF and love it. 

If all your flours are starchy, *I* would use them with protein flours so that I'm not buying so much expensive flour but neither am I wasting them by not using them or making a ton of junk food.  Empty carbs will not help the tummy heal, it'll just turn to sugar and prolong the festering of irritants.

Melody

Sausage and Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole
http://www.primalpalate.com/recipe/sausage-and-sweet-potato-breakfast-casserole/

You might like this recipe site: Gluten Free on a Shoestring

http://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/category/gluten-free-recipe-index/

Aebleskivers
http://simplylivinghealthy.org/2011/04/08/coconut-flour-aebleskivers/

For Cheeseburgers, I buy the big leaf lettuce, like Romaine.  I wrap my burger and stuff up in a big ole leaf and I love it.  I've also used the giant mushrooms for burger buns but it's a lot of mushroom for my taste.  Guys might like that better. 

SippinTea

Quote from: MellowYellow on February 14, 2014, 03:51:18 AM
I only use xanthum gum per recipe.

Ohhhhh! Cha-ching! From what I understood initially, I would have to pre-make a flour blend with xanthan gum to use as a substitute. Hmmm..... *pondering*

I'll try to remember to check the specific flours later. Pretty sure I have pea flour, quinoa flour, and.... oh for pity sakes. I can't remember. :updown:

Thanks for all the tips and help, lovely! I've been just trying to avoid anything requiring flour for the most part, but certain ones of my family's favorite meals require flour, and I'm getting kind of tired of having to make two separate dinners when I do them. *wry grin* Some things are easy.... roast and potatoes, tacos, stir fry, chicken and rice... there are loads of yummy options. Maybe I just shouldn't let the whining get to me. ;) But teen boy whining is EXTREMELY unattractive. :o :-?  Uhh... anyhow. Off topic. ;)

Melody

With a blue collar husband and 2 growing kids the nagging question *for me* is: 

"What can I supplement their high metabolisms and tummies with that isn't unhealthy but neither is as expensive as all produce all the time?"

Here are some things we have:

Water before or with everything.
Apples with some kind of nut butter, heavy on the nut butter.
Popcorn. A big bag of kernels is around a dollar and goes a long way. All you need is a big pot to pop it in. To my knowledge, popcorn isn't GMO, even though other corns are.
Tortilla Chips and salsa/homemade guacamole
Rice mix with frozen mixed veggies thrown in.  A little seasoning and this really satisfies them!  Brown rice is still inexpensive.  Beans make it go even further.
Bean soup.  Whatever they feel like that week, I'll make a pot of it and they, especially Andrew, will heat up a bowl after school.
baked potato or heat up some mashed potatoes (that have a sweet potato snuck in :)
In the summer: watermelon!
a tall glass of almond or coconut milk

Sometimes my kids just want to eat because they're bored.  So I will make a set amount of something yummy that week like muffins, cookies, pop-cycles, pudding, etc, and once it's gone, It's gone.  They are welcome to make dinner early that day for everyone.  Or I offer them something that would require real work for them to make.  98% of the time, they go find something else to do.  lol

Melody

LOL  We were posting at the same time, haha teen boys are a MESS sometimes.   :biglaugh:

Ok.  We have a unique situation.  Andrew literally gets sick feeling when he eats school lunch.  I am not sure it's gluten but also, it's $2.40! Forgive me for being so transparent.  So I'm cool with him not eating it because I could feed him GREAT for $2.40 every meal better anyway.  Well, his locker this year is on the opposite side of his campus than all his classes and he already has a full back pack to carry around all day.  There is nowhere to put his sack lunch.  So generally, he'll take a piece a fruit or nothing and just visit with his friends at lunch.  This makes for a starving kid when he gets home. 

Today he came home, had 2 carrots with peanut butter, a handful of brocolli with this roasted red pepper cream dip that was left over from chicken wings, almonds, and a banana.  Oh and a glass of coconut milk and a glass of tea, plus water.  That was fine, I don't mind at all.

Nathan took Hannah out tonight for a Father Daughter Valentines date so I didn't make a huge dinner.  Mashed potatoes and roasted Brussel sprouts.  He eats all the brussel sprouts and then is pretty much full.  LOL 

So though I know how expensive all this produce is, I also see how much it can fill up a nearly 6'3" teen boy in the long run.  A few years ago things would have been different.  I would have still had it in my mind that he needed some kind of empty starch to help fill his belly and that produce would have to be an exorbant amount to fill him up. 

I feel like I'm just beginning to get a handle on some of this.  I still hate that food prices keep going up though. 

alohilani

You miss a lot of stuff when you only check in yearly. :) I am researching going GF because I'm pretty positive hubs is gluten intolerant. I'll be checking in more often here! :)

Melody

Our biggest challenge and continues to be:

Our own pickiness. 

It's Not financial. Not recipes. Not being able to find produce.  Though those are things we have to consider, they aren't really what hinders us

Learning to be open to new flavors and love truth (meaning: glad to know what foods are hurting us and being free and blessed enough to not be forced to eat/drink them, even if they taste wonderful.  You know, like everything else.  We grasp this about doctrine, it's not about what strokes our ego, gives us immediate pleasure, or what is common.  It's about what is RIGHT and GOOD for our souls)

There are things we tried one way and were totally disgusted.  But a year later might try a different way and then loved it!  This was brussel sprouts for us.  We still hate steamed.  But coated in bacon drippings, salt, pepper, and garlic, and we love them. 

Doctors have Extremely little education in nutrition and preventative health.  I learned this from doctors and nurses telling me so.  They know about as much as you do about what is healthy to eat and really why.  It's readily available info.  Lots of great books, lots of good research reports.  People just generally don't get around to those things.  I'm blessed.  I prayed for answers and God has helped me find some.  I'm not special or some genius.  I just keep reading, and praying, and using the sense God gave us all.

If health wasn't important, God would not have made such a big deal about it in the Old testament and still refer to it in the new.  He wouldn't have said to present our bodies as a living sacrifice.  He would've said "Come out from among them and be ye separate, except for food." 

Melody

I could post just technically GF but I feel that totally misses the mark.  So all this IS GF but not empty carb full of sugar GF recipes.

http://andhereweare.net/2014/01/a-week-of-paleo-meals.html

http://meatified.com/paleo-alfredo/

This is one of my favorite soups ever!  We just had it last night again.  I may have shared it here before. I use 2 chicken breasts or thighs and this feeds all of us, with leftovers.  I also don't have the patience to cube the butternut squash so I split it, deseed it, and bake it just until I can pierce it well.  Then I just scoop it out and put it in the soup.

http://www.cookincanuck.com/2011/11/hearty-chicken-stew-with-butternut-squash-quinoa-recipe/

Melody

I really want to post lots of pictures of the recipes because they are SO good looking but I know it might make some people's computers load slow so I'm only posting a photo here and there.

Salted Carmel Cheesecake Bites
http://cleaneatingwithadirtymind.com/2013/08/19/incredible-edible-paleo-salted-caramel-cheesecake-bites/