News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Nazarite vows

Started by World Traveler, March 28, 2013, 10:58:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

World Traveler

I was reading in Numbers and part of my reading was about the Nazarite vows. I am familiar with what they had to do and recall that Samson (and Samuel?????) were Nazarites from their mother's womb as a result of their mother's vows.
My question is: what was the purpose of the Nazarite vow?
Was it just another level of consecration/separation to engage in for a temporary time (the time of the vow), or is their more too it? Did it have some purpose in the plan of God for the nation of Israel or as a type and shadow from the Old Testament to be clarified and affect the New Testament dispensation?
Any views on this?
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

Scott

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Scott

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/11395-nazarite

QuoteYoung men especially, who found it difficult to abstain from wine on account of youthful desire for pleasure, took the vow. The most prominent outward mark of the Nazarite was long, flowing hair, which was cut at the expiration of the vow and offered as a sacrifice (Num. l.c.; Jer. vii. 29).

The article is long and not written to be read quickly.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle