News:

Remember to check out the Devotions & Poems forum!

Main Menu

Sam the 52 Chevy

Started by mini, September 28, 2011, 03:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heather

Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

mini

A little off topic from Sam, but it has the "Keep Motivated!  You Can Do It!" factor.

Sometimes, I am awestruck by the story's of planes that come through here.  Maybe its a customer that has just bough a new jet, or a P51 that has just got out of a complete restoration, or the little man taking his last "all over the US" flight in his Cesnna 150.  Those are the kinds of stories that still make me look forward to coming to work after 10 years here.

Today is one of those days. 

Its been a quiet day due to the rain, so I was pretty surprised when a Piper Cub pulled up outside.  I hadnt heard him call in, (I found out later why) and let me tell you, this Piper was beautiful.  I've seen a few cubs in my 10 years here at the airport, but never one like this.  If I was guessing, I would say it looked like it had just rolled of the showroom floor.  And I was right.

The story of the plane itself was even more amazing.  After sitting for 59(!) years a young man bought it, put 3000 hours back into the plane totally restoring it to factory original, then flying it for the first time.

The cowling is even the original cowling!

Jared, the pilot, had spend hours on every detail of the plane, with the sole intent of bring it back to factory original.  He wanted it to look just like it did when it rolled off the assembly line.  Every sticker was just like it was when it was new, every decal, every placard, every nut, every bolt.  This cub was factory new. 

This sticker was made after they found a 1949 prop in a attic, and was able to replicate the sticker.  All the black on the original sticker had disappeared, leaving only the other colors.

It even has the 3 holes in the end of the prop to allow moisture to "weep" out (see picture).

And the reason I hadn't heard him call in?  Well, no radio.  Partly due to the fact that it didn't have a radio in it, and partly due to the fact that 6 days into this cross country he hit a little bit of turbulence, and everything in the cockpit went up, and the radio went out the open door never to be seen again.

Several links follow:

http://rangerairfield.org/barn_cub/years/  The story of the cub (with a few pictures)

http://rangerairfield.org/gallery/ (Flash required)  Click to Screen 2 (bottom right side, then on The Barn Cub -- Discovery

Now I realize I cant do justice to a story like this, and the thousands of smaller stories that go into making a plane like this happen.  But this plane is the result of 3000 hours of dedicated work.  And pulling a total basket-case of a plane out of a barn and making it come back together and then enjoying it like it was meant to be enjoyed...now that's priceless right there. 

Oh, and starting when you are 22, and finishing it up and enjoying it when you are 25?  Thats even better.

My hats off to Jared.

DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

sunlight

:attackhug: Be full of hugs!

mini

Back on the topic of Sam.

This is how you make a temporary speedometer:

:ugly:
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Lynx

Looks like what I'd do.  :) 

Rule #7:  If it works, go with it.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

mini

We are doing a deal at church this weekend, and I have been asked to bring Sam over to "play a part" in the ongoings...they are planning on decorating him.  I was thinking and realized...chalk!  So I went to playing with it, and sure enough it works.  A little chalk, and to get it off, just add water. LOL

mini

Got to work today and there was a SWEET old plane sitting there.  Heres a picture of it and Sam.

Lynx

Shoulda left the "Airport Security" logo on, just put a clear coat over it. 
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

mini

*bump*

I need to post pictures...

sunlight

Heather

Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

mini

Sorry its been so long since I posted pictures here.  I usually post them on Sam's Facebook page (be sure to check that out!).  These were taken quite a while ago.

sunlight

I got an old truck! I named it Marty! It's not as old as rusty or Sam though...

mini

Lynx

Given the source, SURELY she has pics...
"Do you sing at church?"