News:

The staff of Godplace.com welcomes you to our little house of fun. If you have a spiritual need, feel free to  contact any staff member.

Main Menu

Sam the 52 Chevy

Started by mini, September 28, 2011, 03:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iridiscente

mini

Ok, some of you may be wondering what I have been up to with Sam.  This has been a "behind the scenes" week with Sam.

Monday night, I had to focus on our house, and tried to get some stuff done around there.  Dad had found me another 235 engine that had some good parts on it that I could use on Sam's motor.  So we stopped by and visited the guy who had it.  After looking at the motor, realizing that there were several parts I could use (oil filter, fuel pump, air cleaner), the guy offered to sell me the motor, complete frame, and everything, for $50.  The fuel pump is $38 new, not to mention the air cleaner, oil filter...how could I go wrong?

Tuesday was spent helping dad tear down some fence he is replacing.  After working on the fence, we were looking at Sam, trying to figure out if the parts off the 235 would fit, and where they would go, when Dad said, "Do you know Sam has a bullet hole?"  Sure enough, right on his window frame:

Wednesday was church.

Yesterday, I went for some "junking" at the local junk yard.

Imagine this car all fixed up...what a beaut it would be!

And this one...I bet it had some class back in the day.

Found a frame and a earlier Chevy motor at the junk yard:

This was cool, the fuel pump had a glass bowl:

Anyways, I got out of there without spending any money.  Yesterday afternoon, I went by and paid the guy for the 235 and frame.  Then I looked for some more casting numbers for the motor. I wanted to double check and make sure it was a 235, not a later 230.  After getting home (6 blocks)  I realized i still didn't have the proper casting number.  But Chelleebelle had fried chicken waiting, so dinner was first.  After eating, I ran back over and found the proper casting number.  It was a 235, and tonight we should get it picked up.
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Lynx

Notice he is still adamantly refusing to tell what was written on the ground...
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

mini

Quote from: Psalm_97 on October 07, 2011, 03:50:17 PM
Notice he is still adamantly refusing to tell what was written on the ground...

:eyebrow:

I didn't read it all.  My wife answered this question already:

Quote from: chelleebelle on October 03, 2011, 02:52:14 AM
It says something to the effect of her being glad that her Daddy now owns Sam...
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Lynx

Just picking on you bro, don't mind me.  Keep us posted, I'm waiting to see what happens next. 
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

mini

THOU VILE FIEND!  *cough*

:ugly:

Lynx

Hey I can't help being vile, I just got up.  Haven't had time to take a shower yet. :P
"Do you sing at church?"

okieoliveoyl

Even I don't know what that letter said and I was out there every day. LOL

Maybe she will pen (or would that be chalk) another one and we can get pics of it this time. :)
Gods Promise: "This to shall pass"  not "and it came to stay"

sunlight

no one got pictures of it? And it's already gone? :sadbounce:

Now I really am dissapointed...
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

mini

Brionna told me what all she wrote:

Dear Sam, I'm glad we have you now. I hope you will be running soon and I cant belive it may be your very first time out of Arkansas.  Sincerely, Brionna.

Now, I hope you folks are happy!  :P

Ok, on to tonight's festivities...

First I went to pick up the old frame:

Heres the first part I was interested in, a fuel pump.  Come to find out, the old pump was fine, just needed a little cleaning.  This one was slightly different, and wouldnt work...but the old one was good.

Next, the air cleaner.  Sam currently has a "oil bath" air cleaner.  I may change this over.

I thought I got a close picture of the oil filter system, but I didnt.  You can see the top of it below the air cleaner...(its the round canister below the air filter)

It only took us 20 minutes to get the frame loaded on the trailer, then it was back to Ma and Pa's house.  We yanked the fuel pump off first, and then found out it didnt fit.  Pa got a sudden "lets try something" look in his eyes, and started tearing Sam's fuel pump apart.

I realized at this point I have never shown you a good picture of Sam's engine...can you say Kawasaki green?

After cleaning the fuel filter, testing it to make sure it would pump, Pa decided to put it back in...

As soon as he got it in, we tried to start Sam.  No luck.  I checked the hose running from the fuel pump to the carbreutor, and no fuel.  took it off at the fuel pump, and we had fuel.  Blew the hose out, tried it again, and finally got fuel to the carbreutor.  But we still couldnt get him to run.

About this time, a neighbor friend stopped by on his motorcycle...

Wow oh wow, whatta bike!!!  I've posted pictures before of one of his past cars:

Well, let me say, I trust him when it comes to figuring out problems to cars.  After tinkering around with Sam for about 30 seconds, he said, "You aint getting fire to the coil!"  I ran to grab a blow torch, but he was talking about spark...so a quick rig, and....

and...

and...

and...

and...

and...

and...

and...

and...

and...

and...

SAM STARTED!!!

Tomorrow, I will try to get him a temp gas tank and his oil changed...then hes off for his first drive around the yard!

iridiscente

Lynx

Now that... is a nice bike.
"Do you sing at church?"

sunlight

YAY! Woohooo! That's awesome! I didn't know it was so easy to fix an old truck!

mini

Lynx

"Do you sing at church?"

sunlight

I think you should do like that one guy did and leave it and put a clear coat on it! That is a pretty cool looking truck!

iridiscente

Or paint it with a mural that incorporated the rust into part of the picture. :D

mini

I was playing around working on a door logo for Sam...what do you think of this:

sunlight

umm...   what are you trying to say with your logo? :grin: what is it's purpose?

mini

Quote from: sunlight on October 12, 2011, 09:21:50 PM
umm...   what are you trying to say with your logo? :grin: what is it's purpose?

Yes. :ugly:

Lynx

If you pair it with his signature, it almost makes sense.
"Do you sing at church?"

mini

Ok, a quick update on Sam.

I have been checking on prices to insure and tag him.  Total to tag him and get the title switched over to my name?  $71!  Not bad!  And insurance for him is...$20.16 a month.  Not bad either...every year the tag would be $21.  That sounds reasonable too.

I did discover some things about Sam.  If you look at previous pictures, you will notice his front sits low.  I was crawling around under him and noticed someone did a spring reversal on him...that makes his front sit LooooooW....so I need to put his springs back up right and he will be good to go.

Also, after putting his oil filter on, we had a hose bust.  Pa was at work and noticed they were throwing out hundreds of new hoses.  He found me 2 brand new hoses for his oil filter...for free!

Now I have just a few items on the list to get Sam on the road:

1) Getting the insurance and tag.  Ive been waiting till he's road worthy before I spend the money on this.
2) Gas tank.  I called about one yesterday, the guy wanted $75 for a used one.  I have a lead on another one for $40.  Ill get that soon.
3) Springs.  I need to swap them soon.  Sam's tie rod is rubbing the oil pan.  If I dont swap them, I will have another problem...oil pain will have a hole in it.
4) Brakes.  Sam has mechanical brakes.  I know they need adjusting, but I will have to rely on Pa's expertise to do that.

The list is getting shorter!  Wont be long till hes driving...er...puttering...er...roaring down the road.  Sam has no muffler...and lands...HES LOUD!!!

Roscoe

You can blame Josh for the no muffler thing. When I owned him he had a muffler, but Josh wanted him to talk louder with duals. :lol: And just so you know- Sam does NOT have mechanical brakes. Mechanical brakes are operated by levers and no hydralics at all.

I have to correct you, 'cause if you tell a parts store he has mechanical brakes there's no telling what they'll sell you. :lol:

What Sam has are hydralic brakes, but are not self adjusting. There should be, if I remember correctly, on the backside of the hub a little "window". In that window is a star wheel. We always used a flat head screwdriver that had been heated and bent at a 90 degree angle to adjust them. Jack the wheel up, turn the star wheel until the brake shoes are rubbing the hub, then back them off ever so slightly till they roll free. Then when you hit the brakes, it should be adjusted. That is, if I remember correctly. Do this on all for wheels and he'll stop.  :biglaugh:
And LOGO him up!  I'm thinking you need to play up the "manure" aspect- you spread it so well. :P
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Roscoe

What!?! You worked on Sam and no update, no matter how meager? Shameful! :pound:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

mini

I worked, I raided the kids candy, I came home and slept.  LOL

More details as time warrants today...