News:

Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Dude, where's my gun? Officer Roscoe drives away with assault rifle on trunk

Started by Scott, July 13, 2011, 04:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

A police Department in Arkansas says they are "very embarrassed" after an assault rifle was left unattended on the back of a patrol car Monday night.

Nick Gonzales snapped a picture of the menacing-looking rifle on the trunk of a local Police car.

It was around 9:00 p.m. and the car was parked outside the Roosevelt Hotel, near Pine and 7th Avenue, with no police officers in sight, says Gonzales.

In addition, after an officer got back into the patrol car, it was driven away with the rifle still on the trunk.

A woman also saw the rifle and followed the car to try to get the officer's attention.

Gonzales says he flagged down two other officers on bicycles to tell them what he saw.

As he described, they were "shocked as heck."

Two more witnesses also alerted police to the situation.

Police aren't saying how the incident unfolded, but sources described what likely happened: one officer, identified as Officer
Roscoe, was loading or unloading the car in the secured area of the West Precinct and placed the rifle on the trunk of a squad car next to it before walking away.

Then, a second officer, identified as Lt. Deanna Nolette, got in that car and drove to the Roosevelt Hotel.

She parked the car, still unaware of the rifle on top of the trunk.

Witnesses saw her at a nearby Starbucks.

In response, the director of the PD Office of Professional Accountability said in a statement:

"It is unacceptable that a rifle was left unattended on a patrol car and people should expect more from their police department."

The commander of the West Precinct has begun an investigation.

Police officials said some sort of discipline or change in policy is likely to come from the incident.

(Copyright © 2011 NBC Universal, All Rights Reserved
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Roscoe

Quote from: Scott on July 13, 2011, 04:14:02 AM
A police Department in Arkansas says they are "very embarrassed" after an assault rifle was left unattended on the back of a patrol car Monday night.

Nick Gonzales snapped a picture of the menacing-looking rifle on the trunk of a local Police car.

It was around 9:00 p.m. and the car was parked outside the Roosevelt Hotel, near Pine and 7th Avenue, with no police officers in sight, says Gonzales.

In addition, after an officer got back into the patrol car, it was driven away with the rifle still on the trunk.

A woman also saw the rifle and followed the car to try to get the officer's attention.

Gonzales says he flagged down two other officers on bicycles to tell them what he saw.

As he described, they were "shocked as heck."

Two more witnesses also alerted police to the situation.

Police aren't saying how the incident unfolded, but sources described what likely happened: one officer, identified as Officer
Roscoe, was loading or unloading the car in the secured area of the West Precinct and placed the rifle on the trunk of a squad car next to it before walking away.

Then, a second officer, identified as Lt. Deanna Nolette, got in that car and drove to the Roosevelt Hotel.

She parked the car, still unaware of the rifle on top of the trunk.

Witnesses saw her at a nearby Starbucks.

In response, the director of the PD Office of Professional Accountability said in a statement:

"It is unacceptable that a rifle was left unattended on a patrol car and people should expect more from their police department."

The commander of the West Precinct has begun an investigation.

Police officials said some sort of discipline or change in policy is likely to come from the incident.

(Copyright © 2011 NBC Universal, All Rights Reserved
:laughhard: I've done that with a phone, I must admit- but never one of my beloved guns.... :waving:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison