:teeth: To crack the Top 10 posters, you must have over 11,000 posts. :teeth:

Main Menu

Do they exist anymore?

Started by World Traveler, May 06, 2011, 06:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

World Traveler

My Grandpa had one.
My Dad had one.
I never had one, although I have always wanted one.

I am talking about my "dream job".

What is my dream job?

It is a job that meets the following criteria:
1. You are a full time employee
2. You make enough money to get married, buy a home, buy a car, have kids, and be able to have and support your family comfortably
3. You only work from 8:00 AM until 5:00 PM
4. You never have to work nights, evenings, weekends, split shifts, holidays, or take job related trips.
5. You never have to take your work home with you or do things on your own time related to your job.
6. The job has a retirement plan
7. The job has advancement opportunities
8. The job helps to pay for your insurance
9. The job provides paid vacation and sick days
10. Your job fits your interests and you really like your job

I have had jobs that incorporated several of these ideals, but never found the job that has them all. I guess those days are gone.
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

Lynx

You can have a dream job without some of those.  Depends what your dreams are.

Believe it or else, if I could find a job working at the cash register at anywhere that would guarantee me 40 hours a week I'd go for minimum wage.  Working front cash at Taco Bell was the single most enjoyable job I ever had.  So many neat people I met, and so many I got to know as regulars. 
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Babs

i am fixing to start my "dream job" soon, and only #10 even applies.

perhaps you need to not focus so much on the rewards of the job as how much you like the job, and how much you can be used of God in it. because if God puts you there, you will have all you need taken care of.
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

World Traveler

My question isn't about whether dream jobs exist, but whether the kind I described are still around anymore or are they a part of a by-gone era. To me, what I describe, what my dad and grandpa had, was the perfect job conditions.
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

Babs

i cant say that, my grandfather was a farmer in the depression. not sure that even counts, unless to him that was his dream job, duno that either
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

Lynx

Quote from: World Traveler on May 06, 2011, 06:06:40 PM
1. You are a full time employee
2. You make enough money to get married, buy a home, buy a car, have kids, and be able to have and support your family comfortably
3. You only work from 8:00 AM until 5:00 PM
4. You never have to work nights, evenings, weekends, split shifts, holidays, or take job related trips.
5. You never have to take your work home with you or do things on your own time related to your job.
6. The job has a retirement plan
7. The job has advancement opportunities
8. The job helps to pay for your insurance
9. The job provides paid vacation and sick days
Actually my current job is pretty good.  The only things that it doesn't meet from this list are #3 (I work second shift) and #10 (I can't really get excited about making screens, mufflers, tubes, filters, etc. for truck engines.  But the work environment is great, all the managers take care of their employees (not just my immediate boss - the whole command structure is good) and it pays a lot better than most jobs in this region.  I make more than twice what I made at McD's.

Now my aunt Diane, she has a job that fits all the criteria.  She is activities director at a nursing home, where she actually gets paid to act like a nut!  It's a perfect fit for her personality and the residents all love her.  She's the only one I've ever known who would be going through the store candy aisle, pick up a pack of candy and say, "Oh I have a resident who likes that." 
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

The Purple Fuzzy

Heather

My job is pretty sweet and meets almost all those criteria.

Now if only I have coWORKers and not just people who were there for a paycheck and do nothing.
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali