News:

Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Recipes/Info for those who want to be Healthier

Started by Melody, April 02, 2010, 05:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melody

Psalm, back in the day, many used an all in one type soap.

Lynx

I know, but try putting that in your washing machine!  :biglaugh:
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Melody

1 bar soap + 1cup washing soda + 1/2 cup Borax (optional)= 5 gallons laundry detergent.  As little as 1¢/load depending on the bar soap you use. ☺

Lynx

What a side track for a recipe thread to get off on!  :laughhard:
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

The Purple Fuzzy

Hey, it's a recipie... just not a food recipe. ;)

Lynx

"Do you sing at church?"

Melody

This is so very cool. I wish I had known a few months ago, I would have done this.  We live next door to a park.  If there is a good acorn crop this fall, we're going to do it! 

What sparked this was Andrew is learning more about Native Americans and that many made acorn flour.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Acorn-Flour

Lynx

This would be great, if I could fight off the squirrels around here for them.  We got a bumper crop of pecans a couple years ago, but WE only got about 1/4 of them...
"Do you sing at church?"

The Purple Fuzzy

Around here the squirrels usually take the pecans and leave the acorns. :smirk:

Lynx

Here the squirrels take it all.  We really oughta make some good squirrel pies...
"Do you sing at church?"

Melody

I posted this on another thread I started about a good book on health recipes.  It can be deleted mods. 

"Best Ever Cough Syrup"

1 T dried sage
1 T dried thyme
1 T dried chamomile flowers
1 t fennel seeds
15 cloves
.5 t ground ginger
4 cups filtered water
2 T raw honey
---
14 oz dark glass bottle, store in a cool dark cupboard

makes 12 oz of syrup
use when coughing
keeps for 3 months

In a saucepan, bring all ingredients except honey, to a boil.
Simmer for 20 min.
Strain off solids and return liquid to pan.
Simmer until liquid has reduced to about 1.5 cups.
Remove and let cool for 5 min.
Add honey and stir.
When the syrup is cool, transfer to your bottle.

Children under 12: 2 t 3x a day
Adults: 3 t 3-4x a day.

There's an entirely different recipe for dry coughs that I can post if it's wanted.

Lynx

Hmm... mom used to make us take tea tree oil, mixed with honey.  It didn't suppress the cough, it loosened up the phlegm so you could cough it up.  Tasted like eucalyptus smells, but it worked. 

For when you are vomiting sick, try catnip tea.  Just what it sounds like, brewed catnip leaves.  Good natural analgesic.  Mix with a slight amount of honey. 
"Do you sing at church?"

Melody

Quote from: Psalm_97 on January 19, 2011, 06:48:54 PM
Hmm... mom used to make us take tea tree oil, mixed with honey.  It didn't suppress the cough, it loosened up the phlegm so you could cough it up.  Tasted like eucalyptus smells, but it worked.

really?  what was the ratio? I thought t.t.oil wasn't ingestable? I clean w/ tea tree oil.

Thanks!  I'll have to look into the catnip tea. Does it come in a tea or do I snip some fresh catnip and seep it?

Lynx

About the tea tree oil, I don't know.  I can email her and ask.  I don't think it was the cleaning agent though, it was packaged as medicinal.  If you google tea tree oil homeopathic you'll get a metric ton of results.

For catnip tea, some health store probably sells bottled tea but we just steeped catnip leaves.  You can get it through a health store in bulk, and we sure had it in bulk.  Sometimes we even gave the cat some.  :P
"Do you sing at church?"

Melody

I use real essence oil, but that is topical.  I know almond oil can be food grade, didn't know others could.

My goal is to have a plethera of essence oils. 

Amelia Bedelia

Should check out The Oiling of America... It challenges what we've been told about oils, lard and what's actually healthy

Melody

Thanks AB. I'm looking into it. I also want to see "inGREEDients."

iridiscente

Quote from: MellowYellow on January 11, 2011, 04:15:26 AM
1 bar soap + 1cup washing soda + 1/2 cup Borax (optional)= 5 gallons laundry detergent.  As little as 1¢/load depending on the bar soap you use. ☺
I'm seriously going to try this some day, but I'm having issues finding the stuff here.

The Purple Fuzzy

MellowYellow, I thought this might interest you:

SUBWAY® Restaurants, known for their Fresh Fit™ menu, is taking it to another level by testing a gluten free roll and gluten free brownie in the Tyler-Longview market starting the week of January 17th. The gluten free roll and brownie will give Americans with gluten sensitivities, gluten intolerances, and Celiac Disease another alternative to their diet. (cont.)

http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=13878303

Melody

Yay!  That'd be awesome. 

I am really struggling with finding *good* gluten free recipes.  I've tried a number of them now.  They all feel spongy and just are not as tasty as a whole wheat roll fresh out the oven, smothered in butter. The worst part is all these other flours are so much more expensive.  Almond flour, which is problably the best consistancy is at least $10/lb. Most recipes call for a number of different flours, and xanthan gum, which is $15/.5 lb. Xanthum is a key component for making the bread not crumble.  There are other starches that help this but not as well.

Ashlee

Quote from: MellowYellow on December 31, 2010, 03:51:18 AM
Ok, this isn't a food recipe but I'm so excited to share it!

I recently learned about castile soap and how to use it as a shampoo.  Specifically Dr.Bronners which you can find at health stores and Target here.  Greatly diluted, it is amazing and natural.  Following it with a rinse of very diluted vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar) conditions it.  There is no vinegar smell but oh my! My hair is so soft and manageable, I am trying to tell everyone I know!  Because it lasts SO long, I'm guessing that the 1 32oz bottle of castile soap can make 15 family size bottles of shampoo.  Putting the cost @ $1/bottle.  The vinegar is too little to even mention.  It lathers great too even diluted. 

I just wanted to share!

http://www.target.com/Bronners-Lavender-Pure-Castile-Soap/dp/B0036F533K/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&keywords=bronners_castile_soaps&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-7&qid=1293766309&rh&searchRank=target104545&id=Bronners+Lavender+Pure+Castile+Soap&node=1038576%7C1287991011&searchSize=30&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576%7C1287991011&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0

How do you dilute this in order to make shampoo?  And how much do you dilute the apple cider vinegar?

Melody

I haven't been measuring. I'd say it's about 1/3c. of the shampoo, & 1/4 or less for the vinegar, in separate bottles of course.  The rest is water.  I have been using my 32 oz last shampoo bottles.  Does that help?  Since everyone's hair is different, I don't want to make a definate measurement.  I tend to have oilier hair and use little to no product.  Someone w/ dry hair might use even less?

lojack

Date me before i become famous :o  and for the people who say they can't see my avatar...   http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0092yi2.jpg

iridiscente

Quote from: MellowYellow on January 20, 2011, 11:05:35 PM
Yay!  That'd be awesome. 

I am really struggling with finding *good* gluten free recipes.  I've tried a number of them now.  They all feel spongy and just are not as tasty as a whole wheat roll fresh out the oven, smothered in butter. The worst part is all these other flours are so much more expensive.  Almond flour, which is problably the best consistancy is at least $10/lb. Most recipes call for a number of different flours, and xanthan gum, which is $15/.5 lb. Xanthum is a key component for making the bread not crumble.  There are other starches that help this but not as well.
Just switch to corn tortillas like everyone in Guatemala. Haha... :) actually, I am sorry you're going through this. I'll let you know if I run across any ideas.

Melody

chips and salsa have been my only consolation!