News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice? -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Thanksgiving recipes

Started by Tricia Lea, November 01, 2007, 08:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sister_Mom

Yes, I do know there must be a million squash casserole recipes out there. I've probably seen most of them and I've come up with this one by combining the ingredients that I liked the best from various recipes. This combination works for me, and it's one that a lot of kids like, or at least will eat, too.... especially if you leave out the onions.  :grin:

Squash Casserole

2 pounds of fresh squash, sliced horizontally (not lengthwise) - to make discs (larger pieces you can cut in half or quarters)
1 medium onion - chopped
1 or 2 Tblsp. Vegetable oil
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup/ or 1 cup of milk
1 cup sour cream
1 stick butter/margarine - melted
1 to 1 1/2 cup colby/Jack cheese - shredded
2 eggs beaten
salt/pepper
1 cup Ritz cracker crumbs

In large skillet heat vegetable oil over medium heat. You'll want this to just cover the bottom of the pan - don't pour enough to have any standing. Add squash and onions and cook until onions are clear and squash is soft (not completely done and not mushy - just keep in mind they will cook more when you put this in the oven, so don't cook them until they are the way you like them).
Stir remaining ingredients together (just a suggestion: beat the eggs, add the soup/milk and sour cream, then the butter, then the crackers, then the cheese - it just makes the mixing easier and helps the ingredients blend together and more evenly throughout the mixture), add salt and pepper to taste, stir, then add the squash and onions. Add the squash last because if you do all that stirring with the squash in that mixture, the squash will be .... well, squished.
Some people like some cracker crumbs on top, so top it off with craker crumbs before putting in the oven if you like(but keep the 1 cup in the mixture or it will be too thin)

Bake at 350 for one hour
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

World Traveler

I just wanna know who is inviting me to their place for Thanksgiving day!
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

Melody

hey, when you make pumpkin pie:  using fresh/frozen pumpkin and heavy cream instead of evaporated milk, and honey instead of sugar, makes a huge difference.  You can google how much honey = how much sugar.

Also, making your own pie crust and putting a couple of drops of almond extract in with the ice water adds just a hint of specialness.  Cook the crust for a few minutes, after forking the bottom a couple of times.  Then buy or fold some tin foil around the edges of the crust.  That way when you pour in the filling and bake, the edges aren't burnt.

Those are probably givens but just in case...

Tricia Lea

Melody

here's the recipe I was talking about above.  It has SUCH a soft flavor, I'm completely loyal to it now...lol

1 pie shell
(2 cups of pumpkin)
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup honey, warmed slightly
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

1.  In large bowl, blend together 2 cups pumpkin puree, spices, and salt. Beat in eggs, honey, milk, and cream. Pour filling into pie shell.

2.  Bake at 400 degrees F ( 205 degrees C) for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted 1 inch from edge of pie comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

Melody

Hey gals, I was over at a friends house yesterday and she made some fun holiday treats.

One was she put pretzels on waxed paper on a cookie sheet and put a ROLO on each one, baked at 250* for 10 min. and then put a pecan on top, pressed down a bit and cooled in fridge.  It was the wonderful salt/sweet combo that is so loved. 

Another thing we did was make candied nuts. 
1/2 cup sugar
2 TBS butter
1/2 tsp of vanilla

On Med-High: Melt in a pan slightly and pour 1+1/2 cups of nuts over it. 

When butter's fully melted, stir up, and cook on low till sugar coating is a golden brown. 

Pour onto waxed paper in a heap or separate.  Then break apart. 

We used pecans and they were divine!  I want to make them at my house and put them over vanilla ice cream over apple pie!