News:

:teeth: To crack the Top 10 posters, you must have over 11,000 posts. :teeth:

Main Menu

Men's suits

Started by Envelope, September 28, 2006, 07:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doogie

For years I shopped at thrift stores, however, in the city where I live, they've become attuned to name brands, and have raised the prices to where they are no longer a practical consideration.  I'd rather spend a bit more money and get something new than buy a garment worn by God knows who, that could cause incurable itching, etc...  :)

Try the Nordstrom Rack.  Look for tags marked "Previously Altered."  The last suit I bought was a Black Giorgio Armani with a normal price of $1795, which I purchased for $199.  And, because it had been previously altered, the suit fit perfectly.  Of course, praying before you walk into the store always helps...

Amelia Bedelia

I've always tucked my shirts in like that when I've worn oxford style shirts that need tucking...  cause I like everything symmetrical and fitted... smaller shirt doesn't work cause I'm a girl and smaller usually means smaller all over and then it stretches out too much in the wrong places... and those shirts are just built loose around the waist anyway

gen222

The place I like to shop for clothes the most is called Phase 2 http://www.phase2clothing.com/ .  They sell new clothing and used clothing.  But it is better quality then what you would find in a Salvation Army Thrift store. No one would ever know.  However, I ltell people because I like to see people get a deal.  A nice mandarin collar dress shirt would be about $12.  I've bought allot of clothing there.  If you choose then every purchase you make is recorded and when you reach $50.  you get a $5. credit. The next time you reach $50. they give you a $6. credit.  Then a $7, $8, $9, $10.  Then it goes back to $5.  I think I've been shopping there since 1998.  This place has been an immense blessing in my life.   

gen222

I even bought a tie there depicting Noah's Ark on it.

shep252

The suits that my husband wears to church made me fall for him when we first met. LOL Talk about HOTTIE!

Melody

We went to Mens Wearhouse last night and it is a bit $$ for me.   I don't know, is it really stewardly to buy a dress shirt for $60 that's eventually going to get armpit stained and tossed?  (I have yet figured out how to get those stains out!)

*Christi*

I don't think so Mellow... that's why I buy Josh's dress shirts either online or at Burlington or Value City.  I never pay more than $20 for a dress shirt and then it better have a nice tie with it!!

Chseeads

I'm just glad to know I'm not the only person that suffers from the dreaded armpit stains. 

Melody

what do you do to get them out?

AmberMarie

To help prevent the need for pleats..you can buy athletic fit dress shirts. That's what we do for my dad.  :thumbsup2:

Oh, and you can get good name brand dress shirts at tjmaxx, marshalls, ross...etc.

*Christi*

Wow, Josh is a sweaty hog... LOL And he has NEVER had an armpit stain... Is that weird?  I asked him and he said he's NEVER had one and he doesn't pre-treat or anything.  Is it the kind of deoderant or something maybe??

Melody

maybe, that could be it.  I think my hubby uses rightguard or AXE

Chseeads

I've used various deodorants and I get stains with everything.   :smirk2:  My undershirts capture the brunt of it, but after a long time the outer shirt eventually picks it up too....

And I have never known there to be any hope for them after they get that way.  I just wear em till their too crummy or tear up.  lol

myhaloisintheshop

Since Clint has been working at the car lot he is super sweaty.   We have been trying to find him an antiperspirant to help but no luck so far

Chseeads

Antiperspirants don't do anything for me.....  The deordant aspect keeps it from stinkin', but the no sweat part is a joke.

Melody

This is  :offtopic: but...

I heard from a DR. on Oprah that it is true that people are attracted to eachother by their scent.  However, if you (meaning anyone) have a stench, then you're supposed to use antibacterial soap.  He said that stinkiness comes from 2 things... diet and bacteria. 

anyway.... back to our regularly scheduled program.

*Christi*

I can't think of what kind of deoderant Josh uses... I know it's anitpersperant and it's a gel kind... that's all I can remember... LOL

Amelia Bedelia

I think it depends on the oils in your skin as to whether or not it stains
hyperhidrosis happens to a lot of people and your typical anti perspirants don't always help
I've actually found that some of the ones WITHOUT aluminum work better - wouldn't think so at first because the first treatments they give you for hyperhidrosis are prescription strength doses of...  aluminum! (which may have bad side effects in the long run)
Adidas has a new "cotton tech" that is aluminum free and I've found to work  - and I tried EVERYTHING from organic herbal freaky stuff to the prescription treatments

Raecheal

There's also this roll on stick that helps prevent sweating..I can't remember what it's called at hte moment.

AmberMarie

Quote from: Amelia Bedelia on November 14, 2006, 04:49:16 AM
I think it depends on the oils in your skin as to whether or not it stains
hyperhidrosis happens to a lot of people and your typical anti perspirants don't always help
I've actually found that some of the ones WITHOUT aluminum work better - wouldn't think so at first because the first treatments they give you for hyperhidrosis are prescription strength doses of...  aluminum! (which may have bad side effects in the long run)
Adidas has a new "cotton tech" that is aluminum free and I've found to work  - and I tried EVERYTHING from organic herbal freaky stuff to the prescription treatments

I'm allergic to the aluminum in deoderant so I use Adidas' cotten tech. I like it!

Melody

I'm going to have my hubby try that.  Is the whole purpose "cotton" is in the name is to say it doesn't tarnish cotton?

Wait a minute, I just looked it up and it says "womens" so my hubby prolly won't wear it..lol

Chseeads

They don't have any men's?

AmberMarie

They have mens..its in a grey container....thats what i'm using...(they were out of womens when I went..but i think i like the mens)

Chseeads

Hmm.  Interesting.  Might have to try it.

Right now I'm using Arm & Hammer unscented....  I don't like/can't stand too strong a smelling scents.

Melody

Alright then!  I buy my hubby's deoderant so I'm getting that next.