News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

someone fix my car!

Started by EricShane, March 21, 2008, 05:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EricShane

my brakes went out the other night when I was driving home in the flood... I had to hit them pretty hard to stop at a red light, and they went all the way to the floor... needless to say, I went through the red light... its a wonder I didnt wake up dead. - so... I stopped at a gas station and put a bottle of brake fluid in it, and, it worked till I pulled out of the parking lot, then my screen was reading "Check Brake Fluid" - and when I did when I got home, it was almost empty again... I think a brake lines got a hole in it or something to that effect... *sigh* My cars silll stopping BARELY if i hold my brakes to the floor but, it scares me, ive been driving it to work still, I have no choice... I called Monroe Muffler and Brake here in town, and he told me depending upon each case, Working on brake lines starts at 150$ --- I was like.. totally whoa..

:-(

alot of people are going to take me for a Ride anyway because its a Cadillac STS
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

Scott

Get some newspapers and put them in front of each tire. Have someone ease your car forward a few inches so that each tire is on the paper.  Put brake fluid in, then depress your brakes a few times.  Get out and look at each paper and see if there is a leak anywhere.  If you see fluid, you can then tell your mechanic just where the leak is, that might save you some money.

Here are some links that will help you find someone honest and decent

http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/

http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/dealers/
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Don't drive if your brakes are that bad.  Driving when they are like that puts your's and other's safety at risk.

The break system has many parts and many places for leaks.  The most common place to find a leak is on the flexible hoses leading up to each of the front calipers.  While I have seen leaks at the master cylinder, that's not as common.

The front wheels have flexible hoses that are anywhere from 6" to 12" long, depending on the car.  This is to allow more movement as the front wheels turn from left to right.  The real wheels usually have a non flexible tube because they don't need the left - right movement that the front wheels have.

Brakes hoses for a Cadillac STS will run anywhere from $10 - $25 for the part.  If you have any mechanical ability at all, replacing it yourself is an easy job.  You'll want to remove the wheel to make it easier to get to the hose.  A socket wrench for the caliper end of the hose, and an open end wrench for the opposite end of the hose.  You'll need to remove the caliper end of the hose first and the opposite end last.  Installing the new one is done in reverse order.

It is also possible that you blew a seal on the caliper piston.  A seal kit will cost around $5 - $10, but will require a little bit more mechanical ability to replace.  Do replace the seals you'll have to remove the caliper and dismantle the piston, the reassemble everything.  If you want to tackle this one on your own, make sure you have several hours to dedicate to it and you have some confidence in your mechanical ability.  I would also suggest buying a Haynes, Chilton, Clymer, or similar repair manual so you will have some step-by-step instructions on how to do it.

I can't stress it enough;  do not drive your car if the brakes are failing.  Hitting another car is bad enough, but would you be able to live with yourself if you can't stop and end up killing a pedestrian?  That's a risk I wouldn't want to take.
Move along, nothing to see here.

EricShane

Quote from: M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ on March 21, 2008, 07:44:22 PM
If you have any mechanical ability at all, replacing it yourself is an easy job. 
:o uhh... I can put gas in it.. and I learned how to put brake fluid in it, suprisingly... I could put oil in it if I had to also... but thats about it... My brothers a grease monkey though!

Quote from: Scott on March 21, 2008, 06:48:24 PM
Get some newspapers and put them in front of each tire. Have someone ease your car forward a few inches so that each tire is on the paper.  Put brake fluid in, then depress your brakes a few times.  Get out and look at each paper and see if there is a leak anywhere.  If you see fluid, you can then tell your mechanic just where the leak is, that might save you some money.

Here are some links that will help you find someone honest and decent

http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/

http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/dealers/
Thanks Scott! Never thought of anything like that! What a good idea!!!!!

Quote from: M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ on March 21, 2008, 07:44:22 PM

I can't stress it enough;  do not drive your car if the brakes are failing. would you be able to live with yourself if you can't stop and end up killing a pedestrian? 
well... They Better watch out for ME! haha jk!! --- I'd prolly do this...  :reaction:
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

yosemite

boy that is risky. driving when brakes are that bad. cant say i havnt done the same though. what yr is car? it could be a wheel cyl or a caliper seal gone out. need to know where it is coming out at.
My conscience is captive to the Word of God.Thus I cannot and will not recant, for going against my conscience is neither safe nor salutary. I can do no other, here i stand, God help me. Amen      -Martin Luther

barefoot

take the car to a shop for repairs if you are going to keep the car for some time-- call around some shops my have a payment plan-