News:

:teeth: To crack the Top 10 posters, you must have over 11,000 posts. :teeth:

Main Menu

Let’s see if Lynx goes a Courting in Sharing 514

Started by The Purple Fuzzy, November 02, 2019, 02:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mini

Well, I'm at the county pig show.  Both kids have showed all year, this is the big event.

We will see how they do.

Daughters pig weighs 345ish.  It's the second biggest pig in the county.

Son's pig is 277.

What's funny is my daughters pig was sick for a couple weeks and now it's MASSIVE.
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Roscoe

Big Hog at the trough.  So, what happens now? Do people bid for and buy them? Or are you gonna wind up with 500+ pounds of pig?
 Went to Conway and made sure the church member was ok. When she was out of recovery, we took our leave and had dinner, then Lou shopped a bit while Chey and I went to the gun shop and to Harbor Freight for a couple of torx bits I needed.
I didn't get to work with the 'vette, but other than that it was a good day. I'm fixing to see if I can finish putting together the sermon God woke me with Tuesday morning, and hopefully give it to the church tomorrow night if it is His will...
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

mini

Quote from: Roscoe on March 01, 2020, 01:19:50 AMBig Hog at the trough.  So, what happens now? Do people bid for and buy them? Or are you gonna wind up with 500+ pounds of pig?

Before I answer that let me explain a little.

At each show, each breed is divided up into weight class and depending on the number of pigs, a division.

My daughter is showing a York gilt (female).  A barrow is only good for meat, a gilt has the potential to produce offspring, and depending on how it does in the shows, it's more desirable for sale.

All season long, Peppa the York has done well and consistently placed in class and breed.  This show she won 1st in class, 4th in breed, and 14th out of all the pigs in the show.  Because of that, she made premium sale for the county.  That means this Friday night, she will go to "sale".  That means that people in the county will "bid" on her, and instead of taking the pig, the kid gets to keep the pig.  All money goes to the kids as a donation.

Then next week they go to OYE, the largest livestock show in Oklahoma and (I think) America and will go through the same kind of competition.  If Peppa gets to the premium sale in that show, she will be bought by a breeder and that marks the end of the show season.

If she doesn't sell, she is still valueable to local breeders, and we can sell her or work out a deal where we get the pick of the litter for next show season.

Next is Oreo, my sons pig.  She has been much slower in developing.  Each show she has done a little better, and if we had a longer season, she would be a great hog.

Oreo made 4th in class, 20th in the division and about 32nd in the breed.  Considering there were about 75 to 100 pigs, shes come a long way!

Using that, we may work out a deal with someone to take her for the pick of the litter too.

If not, bacon.

Now before you think lower of me for saying she may wind up as bacon, remember these are Ag kids who work all year long to understand the life cycle of an animal and the reason we raise them: Food.

That doesn't make it easy, but these kids do an amazing job raising these pigs.

DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Roscoe

Is there a higher calling for a pig than to become that most holy substance- BACON?!?

Morning all. At work. I've got a roast on and a pot of beans on in slowcookers at home so we will have a good dinner tonight. Miss Hattie is coming over so I can do her taxes, thus the big dinner.

Lord, I is ready for vacation...
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

The Purple Fuzzy

Lynx

Wait, what? The people bid on the pig and then they don't get the pig... they just pay a donation?

What do the bidders get out of it? I'm missing a puzzle piece here.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Roscoe

Morning. Saw where Nashville got hit by 'nado last night. It's overcast here, but no storms really forecast that I know of. I'm at work early. But I get off at 330 , so I'm glad of that. That hour early makes a big difference.
And last night- shew. Had weird dreams all night, woke up at 2, at 3, at 430, at 515... Then I dozed off for good sleep, only to have to get up at 5:45. :pound:

The Purple Fuzzy

I hate that about the tornadoes. It's bad when they come at night. :(

mini

Quote from: Lynx on March 03, 2020, 12:03:42 AMWait, what? The people bid on the pig and then they don't get the pig... they just pay a donation?

The bidders do that to give back to the kids.  Its very good positive publicity in our rural area.

sunlight

Quote from: mini on March 03, 2020, 02:48:38 PM
Quote from: Lynx on March 03, 2020, 12:03:42 AMWait, what? The people bid on the pig and then they don't get the pig... they just pay a donation?

The bidders do that to give back to the kids.  Its very good positive publicity in our rural area.
Tax write off?
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

The Purple Fuzzy

When I worked at the bank, way back when, they bought a cow or bull... not sure which, had it processed and shared meat with all the employees. That was nice.

Roscoe

Quote from: The Purple Fuzzy on March 04, 2020, 02:02:09 AMWhen I worked at the bank, way back when, they bought a cow or bull... not sure which, had it processed and shared meat with all the employees. That was nice.
I wish the state would butcher some of the bull they have and give the MEAT to us. LOL
Oh well. I should have my processed beef for the year sometime this week or next, even if I did have to pony up the cash for it.
Morning all. Eyes open, day starting. Went and voted last night, put two new fuel injectors in Rusty, and went to prayer meeting, where my faithful few showed up. Now I get to slog through the day and hopefully go to church tonight, where I get to be taught to instead of preaching.

And in other sharing- the mean ole biddy admin  I mentioned Friday- well, she is apparently hated by my office. I usually get along with her, with her just hitting buttons from time to time. But she's 67 years old, and has a birthday approaching in the next week or so. We are a small office (5 officers, two admins a counselor and a supervisor)., almost more like family than work partners. I spoke with the supervisor and he and I were going to have a little Birthday party for Ms. Grump. Guys, NO ONE else in the office wanted to contribute. Everyone said they felt like they would be sending the wrong message and "rewarding her evilness". A couple even said if we do a birthday party, they'll be out that day. How bad is it when your coworkers dislike you enough they will take off rather than celebrate your birthday?!?!
I know I'm anti social, but I hope I'm never disliked THAT much!

mini

Wait...when is your birthday?  :ugly:

Quote from: sunlight on March 03, 2020, 09:25:40 PM
Quote from: mini on March 03, 2020, 02:48:38 PM

Tax write off?

I don't know about that.  But I do know a successful pig will pay for a show season.

Nelle

@Work.

Our CPAs are in the office with us today and tomorrow, so we will be busy little bees. :)

Roscoe

The Purple Fuzzy

There is a big bright orb in the sky that I haven't seen much lately. :shine:

Roscoe

It is beautiful out. Fuzz, how far are you from the Pickards in Boswell?

Nelle

@Work.  I'm a bit frazzled.. LOL. At least the chaos should be over in an hour or so.

Hoping Jeremy's work car can get out of the shop today so we won't have to share again tomorrow. I don't like sitting here for hours after I'm off work to be able to go home. (He is driving my vehicle and won't be here until then from work.)

Also.. It's been really nice outside and I've been stuck INside all day. Bummers. Thankful for a job tho. lol

The Purple Fuzzy

Quote from: Roscoe on March 05, 2020, 03:37:38 PMIt is beautiful out. Fuzz, how far are you from the Pickards in Boswell?
Probably about 3 hrs.

Roscoe

Quote from: The Purple Fuzzy on March 06, 2020, 12:20:53 AM
Quote from: Roscoe on March 05, 2020, 03:37:38 PMIt is beautiful out. Fuzz, how far are you from the Pickards in Boswell?
Probably about 3 hrs.
Ah. Ok. We are going to be there on the weekend of the 22nd...probably spend a little time in Paris as well. Didn't know if y'all were close or not.

Roscoe

Enjoyed the day off.  Went and picked up the beef, had to go buy another freezer as the two we had are full. I told Mini, fat boy may die sick and broke, but it won't be from hunger. :laughhard: I went to the local scratch and dent store to get another small chest freezer, and for the first time ever he didn't have one. I've bought two in the past 10 years from him and they've been perfect....at around a hundred bucks, I can live with a dent or scratch, especially since they are kept in the room off the carport.
I panicked- I had around 60 lbs of beef remaining to be put away, along with a ham and a turkey. No way that was fitting. I went by a local flea market, and thank God- there was a freezer. $125. It had a piece of weather strip loose and taped on with duct tape. I used this as a tool, bargained them to $85, nearly killed myself picking it up and putting it in the truck by myself, since the clerk was a 70+ year old woman, and headed home. An hour of work hauling junk out of the room and bagging trash and I had it in the room, plugged up and the meat put away.
I also mowed the yard and cleaned some stuff up. Been a productive day.
I meant to work on the vette but still haven't gotten to that yet.

The Purple Fuzzy

Roscoe

It was nice today. Went to a hamfest and picked up another wooden tube type radio cheap- then came home and fixed the Corvette. Bro Wilson invited us over for a prime rib dinner that was delicious, and as an added bonus, he adjusted the carb on the Corvette which is the equivalent of black magic to me. It took him less than 5 minutes and it was purring.
And he is preaching tomorrow, which gives me the night off.

Nelle

This "holiday" is my least favorite.. I'm hoping the rumor is true and we won't be switching times again ever. It's rough on this kid who LOVES her sleep.

We had to carpool again today since after we drove 45 minutes home Thurs night, he said the car was making the same noise. We took it back Sunday night for them to look at it today. This is also one of his longest work days.. so I get to work half an hour early, and I'll be staying several hours late. (insert tortured laugh here)

Anywho.. I'm about to take some pain meds and some sinus meds. We have rain today, and with that comes some lovely front or something that causes sinus pressure. Glad I brought plenty of snacks today tho! Sliced apples with cheese cubes.. Yum.

Roscoe

:hi:
It's sprinkle/misting/ raining here as well. Been a steady morning. Tired of rain, and as far as the spring forward, I don't mind it too much. I kinda like having long days and it not getting dark until 7,8, 9 o'clock. It's the "fall back" part that gets me.
And I discovered much to my chagrin that the freezer I picked up is apparently the appliance version of Mini. Plainly put- it don't work. :pound:
Checked it yesterday- I'd placed a cardboard box with about 20 lbs of hamburger in it, and a box with a large Petit Jean ham and a large turkey on top if the hamburger. Fortunately, the ham and turkey kept the already frozen hamburger frozen. Unfortunately the ham and turkey were both partially thawed. So, I'm cooking our Easter ham early, and a turkey too. :smirk: Better than letting it ruin.
At least the flea market I bought it from was decent- they are giving me my money back for the freezer.
I did kinda make Lou unhappy- she had lasagnas , soups, ect frozen on one freezer. I had to throw out leftovers in order to save the meat. I'd rather have the meat that leftovers though.