News:

The staff of Godplace.com welcomes you to our little house of fun. If you have a spiritual need, feel free to  contact any staff member.

Main Menu

Unexpected Set Up...

Started by Kloey, May 15, 2012, 10:42:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kloey

So, my parents pulled a fast one on me.  They asked me if I'd come over and cook dinner, as they just "didn't feel up to it."  I bebopped over there, started to cook something super simple, but was promptly instructed that they were in the mood for something "nice."  I should have known something was up right away, but sometimes, I'm a girl.  Slow and stuff.  Anyway, I start cranking out a nice dinner and while I was preparing the sauce, my Mother starts mentioning that I should let my hair down.  Even then, I didn't fully catch it.  It wasn't until I left to go pick up some cloves that I really suspected something.  My stepdad called, frantically asking why I was leaving and if I was coming back.  Well, I did return because I am responsible, if nothing else, and my parents know this.  So, I grate the cloves, pop the dish in the oven, and confront my Mother.  Smiling so broadly she could barely speak, she denied any shenanigans.  At this point, though, I'm wise to her, especially considering the eligible young man who just "happened to drop in for dinner" as manifested evidence.  Though he was perfectly polite and engaging, I was less than charming.  I was polite, but upon reflection, my manners were the only thing interactive.  I guess I was put out by what I see as an imposition and a devious plot.  After dinner wrapped up and I saw him out, I listened to my parents tell me how they "had no idea, but I should really give him a shot because he's such a nice young man and so on and so forth..." 

Now, I'm twenty-eight, Apostolic, and not married so I'm accustomed to matchmaking attempts, but this one really knocked me off balance.  He isn't in church and though that's a big issue, I make no bones about asking someone to attend service with me these days.  As rediculous as this is, my estrogen may be getting the best of me because had we met under other circumstances, I probably would have really enjoyed the evening.  As it stands, I was just put out by the situation.   :reaction:

So, have any of you ever been unreasonable about a set up?
I am activated to pursue His kingdom, not for what it is, but for the absence found within.

Lynx

1.  From what you say, it does smell fishy. 

2.  Want to borrow my flamethrower?

3.  At least the age mismatch wasn't extreme. I've had a well meaning lady, who was exuding "matchmaker" out of every pore, try to introduce me to two teenagers before.  I excused myself as quickly and politely as possible.   :roll:
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

SippinTea

I would have been furious. A simple introduction to someone is one thing. A plan that elaborate is quite another. But then... I'm afraid I'm hypersensitive to such things. For a number of reasons.

*Hugs* to you, Kloey.

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

Scott

Once my mom grabbed me in a rally and told me to walk with her. She then grabbed a girl and told us to talk now.  Mom walked off.  The girl laughed and asked what we were supposed to do. I said "Talk, fall in love, get married and give her grandkids!"  We both laughed, I introduced her to a friend and she married him and I sneaked out the back door.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

mini

Quote from: Scott on May 15, 2012, 07:15:17 PM
Once my mom grabbed me in a rally and told me to walk with her. She then grabbed a girl and told us to talk now.  Mom walked off.  The girl laughed and asked what we were supposed to do. I said "Talk, fall in love, get married and give her grandkids!"  We both laughed, I introduced her to a friend and she married him and I sneaked out the back door.

Married at the rally?  Wow, I guess up north, they have a different kind of altar call.

:ugly:
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

SippinTea

We both laughed, I introduced her to a friend and she married him and I sneaked out the back door.

:great:

Quote from: minnesota68 on May 15, 2012, 07:36:01 PM

Married at the rally?  Wow, I guess up north, they have a different kind of altar call.

Prob'ly so. 'Cause down where you live, you meet your spouses at family reunions. :P

Scott

yup all them southern folk who moved North for Jobs...

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

mini

Quote from: SippinTea on May 15, 2012, 08:02:13 PM

Prob'ly so. 'Cause down where you live, you meet your spouses at family reunions. :P

I dont see the humor.  Thats what everyone in Arkansas does...

DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Scott

Quote from: minnesota68 on May 15, 2012, 11:27:05 PM
Quote from: SippinTea on May 15, 2012, 08:02:13 PM

I dont see the humor.  Thats what everyone in Arkansas does...

Who do you think came to Michigan? Arkies!

The Never Ending Battle

Kloey

Quote from: SippinTea on May 15, 2012, 06:56:23 PM
I would have been furious. A simple introduction to someone is one thing. A plan that elaborate is quite another. But then... I'm afraid I'm hypersensitive to such things. For a number of reasons.

*Hugs* to you, Kloey.

Well, I was definitely fussy about it.  I think the part that bothered me the most was I felt like they were displaying my wares, so to speak, by having me prepare this fellow a meal and jazz.  Plus, it's just sort of disconcerting to have your homefield advantage ripped away.  I'm glad that someone else understands because my parents were completely not prepared for my reaction.  They thought I'd just be all cute and twirl my hair about my finger as I gazed longingly at his handsome face.

Isaac, yes, a flamethrower would be lovely.  :D  Thanks for having my back, Pal.

Scott, I didn't mean to, but I giggled.  I'm glad that it worked out the way it was supposed to, but your response to her question was just spot on tehe hehe.  Being twenty-eight and single has really messed with my parents' respective minds...lol.

P.S., Y'all.

I'm from the South and I don't meet my fellows at family events, unless my parents try to set me up...lol.  I think it'd be awesome to meet a fellow at a church event.  At least I'd have half the battle over...he'd be a church going fellow.   :laughhard:
I am activated to pursue His kingdom, not for what it is, but for the absence found within.

Scott

I've been to a number of unexpected set up's when I was single. They were usually awkward and too often the young lady in question was borrrrring!

The Never Ending Battle

Kloey

This fellow wasn't boring.  I was just reserved due to the nature of the situation.  Sometimes, I think people are so bent on finding someone that they look so hard that they just can't see.  I guess I shouldn't have been so fussy, but I can at least hold my head up and say that I was polite and dinner was a smashing success if you consider taste alone.  :D

On a positive note, if the Mister to my Miss is out there, I'm confident that he'll come into my life in a way which will not allow me to easily dispel or shake him.

SippinTea

Quote from: Kloey on May 16, 2012, 05:59:09 AM
On a positive note, if the Mister to my Miss is out there, I'm confident that he'll come into my life in a way which will not allow me to easily dispel or shake him.

I highly recommend GP meetups.  *cough ahem* At both of the big ones I've been to, all the singles were able to just have a grand time having fun together (after all, we already knew each other anyhow) with no pressure. And as has turned out for several of us formerly single GP gals... well, GP men are terrific overall. :) Elona would be happy to second this motion, I'm sure. ;)

Yes, I know, I'm being a bit ornery now. But seriously, I think I was far less gracious about set-ups than you. I HATED them. I wanted to know how a guy would act when he was NOT trying to impress me, and wasn't expecting me to try to impress him. That whole "here, let my daughter cook a delightful dinner for you, so you can see what a wonderful wife she'd make" thing irritated me to pieces. So did the (over and over and over again) statements from family and friends about "make sure you take your hair down". 'Scuse me?!? If he only likes to be with me when my hair is down... well, I'm sorry, but he's not the guy for me.

Yeah, like I said. I'm afraid I wasn't overly gracious about such things. :-? Points to you for staying calm and polite. :)

Scott

I was once "set up" on a dated by a friend of mine.  When it started out, the gal I was "set up with" and I did not get along, we bickered.  By time the night was over - we were having a grand ole time and the couple were were chaperoning were arguing and bickering worse than we were.  The only reason that I did not follow up on a date with her was the fact that she did not attend church and smoked. Other than that, she was pretty good looking and funny.

The Never Ending Battle

mini

One time, we were at a youth event when my cousin (female), who was walking beside me, started complaining that she could NEVER meet a guy.  I wasn't saying much, just listening. 

About that same time, a guy I knew came walking up.  In one swoop motion, I stopped him, said, "Kevin, Amy.  Amy, Kevin." and walked off.  My cousin never complained about never meeting a guy after that.

MelodyB

Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

SippinTea

:spitlaugh:

Uh, Mel, hate to break it to ya, but... he's probably married by now. :P As old as Mini is... well, that story is ancient history. *ahem*

MelodyB

Yeah, he DID say Youth event didn't he? Bummer. I got all hopeful there for a few. :smirk2:
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

mini

Quote from: SippinTea on May 17, 2012, 04:40:13 PM
:spitlaugh:

Uh, Mel, hate to break it to ya, but... he's probably married by now. :P As old as Mini is... well, that story is ancient history. *ahem*

Newsman

RainbowJingles

Quote from: SippinTea on May 16, 2012, 02:55:05 PM
Quote from: Kloey on May 16, 2012, 05:59:09 AM

I highly recommend GP meetups.  *cough ahem* At both of the big ones I've been to, all the singles were able to just have a grand time having fun together (after all, we already knew each other anyhow) with no pressure. And as has turned out for several of us formerly single GP gals... well, GP men are terrific overall. :) Elona would be happy to second this motion, I'm sure. ;)

Second.  :bigcheese:

Sorry it's a little belated.  :-)

SippinTea

Newsman