News:

The staff of Godplace.com welcomes you to our little house of fun. If you have a spiritual need, feel free to  contact any staff member.

Main Menu

does any one here play an instrument? what?

Started by yosemite, April 06, 2010, 05:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yosemite

for the longest time i have been trying to play the banjo but not really being serious. but now i am serious and ready. does it get easier to move your fingers? maybe i should say thumbs!! i can drive an eightteen wheeler through the tightest of towns, but i cant play Mary had a little lamb on the banjo!!

what about music notes, can i convert piano music to banjo music? i have a hymnal book for when i get to being able to play but it is for the piano. i have been studying tableture for the banjo and it looks easy enough if i get the fingers to cooperate. but the piano music notes are way different. maybe its in the chords and keys. sure wish Bro. Clarence was here to help me.

what do you play? what troubles did you have or tell about the ones you are having.

if i cant get this, i'll just have to go back to playing the radio!! lol
My conscience is captive to the Word of God.Thus I cannot and will not recant, for going against my conscience is neither safe nor salutary. I can do no other, here i stand, God help me. Amen      -Martin Luther

Sis

I can play the radio and the CD player pretty well.

Heather

i'm still learning to play my iPod!  :cool:

i have a guitar and i know some very basic cords, but i haven't picked it up in years.
had learned some bass and was loving it, but the guy who was teaching me quit because i was catching on quicker than he had.
would love to learn drums, but my left hand has a learning disability and cannot keep up with my right.
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

Sis

:laughat: Learning disability?  That's why I can't play piano. My right hand knoweth what my left hand is doing, and they want to do the same thing.

Tricia Lea

I cant play a thing. My son however can play guitar. He loves the guitars. He is also in marching band and jazz band in HS.
Here is a pic of his guitar collection he posted on his FB

Sis

The Purple Fuzzy

I used to play a saxophone, but haven't picked one up in years.

Hey, Yo, stop by sometime and hubby will show you some tricks on the banjo.

Xbox Champ

Quote from: Tricia Lea on April 06, 2010, 02:55:46 PM
I cant play a thing. My son however can play guitar. He loves the guitars. He is also in marching band and jazz band in HS.
Here is a pic of his guitar collection he posted on his FB

1 gibson epiphone
2 Douglas bass
3 Crate
4 ibanez bass

yosemite

Quote from: Sis on April 06, 2010, 05:39:02 AM
I can play the radio and the CD player pretty well.
knuclehead!! LOL
Quote from: baristagirl on April 06, 2010, 11:54:04 AM
i have a guitar and i know some very basic cords, but i haven't picked it up in years.
had learned some bass and was loving it, but the guy who was teaching me quit because i was catching on quicker than he had.
would love to learn drums, but my left hand has a learning disability and cannot keep up with my right.
pick the guitar back up and the bass. my wife plays the drums at church.
Quote from: The Purple Fuzzy on April 06, 2010, 03:51:26 PM
I used to play a saxophone, but haven't picked one up in years.

Hey, Yo, stop by sometime and hubby will show you some tricks on the banjo.
well you need to pick up the sax again. i really want to stop in and learn some tricks and liks on the banjo, but i am stuck in the basic learning mode. i havent got to the point to learning licks yet. can Bro. Clarence convert piano music to banjo?
ohhh, boss said i may be going to dallas tonight.
My conscience is captive to the Word of God.Thus I cannot and will not recant, for going against my conscience is neither safe nor salutary. I can do no other, here i stand, God help me. Amen      -Martin Luther

yosemite

Psalms 150
3  Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.
4  Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
5  Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.
6  Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

RainbowJingles

I kinda sorta play the keyboard/piano.  I sound a whole lot better when all the backup layers and stuff are turned on!  When I'm at the nursing home and only have the basic piano, I often end up doing slower songs, because I haven't mastered much beyond the basics.

I play tamborine in church.  :-)
I'm the backup keyboard player, but they have to REALLY need me in order for me to play.

Scott

I've been known to pick up the trumpet on occasion and can play the French Horn, Tuba, Trombone, Baritone, Cornet, Flugelhorn, Mellowphone, Pocket Trumpet and Valved Trombone. At times I've been known to play the congas, the bongos, the tamborine and a few other noise makers.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

newkris

i took piano for my music credit in college.  how hard can it be, right?  i mean . . . my son plays the organ, keyboard, piano and has since he was 6.  and my other one plunks around on the piano, but plays drums fabulously.

so.  i can do this right?

well.  i could play with my right hand and read the notes.  or my left hand and read the notes.  or play with both hands and not look at the page.  but all three at once could NOT happen.  i cried, honestly, through my final exam feelling like an utter failure.

i have decided to let the playing to others. i'll just make my joyful noise another way.

which, by the way, is a long answer to the question.  :pwink: 

short answer:  no. 
\\\\\\\"i want to say more than words when i write\\\\\\\" - kent d. curry
me, too.

myspace.com\\\\\\\\krisknowshim
there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

Sis

Quote from: Scott on April 06, 2010, 11:11:49 PM
I've been known to pick up the trumpet on occasion and can play the French Horn, Tuba, Trombone, Baritone, Cornet, Flugelhorn, Mellowphone, Pocket Trumpet and Valved Trombone. At times I've been known to play the congas, the bongos, the tamborine and a few other noise makers.

I like your little pocket trumpet.

Kris, I took piano, too. But I kept talking to the teacher, who was from Russia, and got through with an A anyway. Still can't play, and never took a final. LOL  But I know how you feel about the right hand not wanting to know wha the left hand and the eyes are doing!

yosemite

i'm in the same boat too! five strings to play at both ends of the banjo. the left hand notes, the right hand strums or picks. left hand fingers find their aprpriate strings and the right hand fingers, (thumb, index and middle finger) pick their appropriate strings. i have decided to not give up. there must be a breaking point that you will eventually learn all the where and whens. practice, practice, practice!!! ;)

Melody

I have a guitar, know some chords, but desperately need some lessons.   

Does that count?  :updown:

yosemite

Quote from: MellowYellow on April 10, 2010, 01:39:08 AM
I have a guitar, know some chords, but desperately need some lessons.   

Does that count?  :updown:
well, Yeah!! LOL thats where i'm at too! Have banjo, need lessons. i am doing the DVD watch and learn series. i had another banjo but tired of it quick when i learned about real banjos. i gave it up till i bought the banjo i have now. still i realy didnt have the drive to put the rubber to the road till now. i am really fired up bout it now.

yosemite

samzup

Sis

RainbowJingles

Sis

Not on viola. Um when he's on keyboards or electric bass, maybe. :bigcheese: