News:

The staff of Godplace.com welcomes you to our little house of fun. If you have a spiritual need, feel free to  contact any staff member.

Main Menu

The 80s

Started by Tricia Lea, February 17, 2010, 12:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sis

Gumby, Jetsons and the Flintstones go WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY further back than the 80's. They were in reruns then.

They had video games at the laundromat? None of them around me had any! I feel left out! ROFL

Heather

they swapped em out between Rampage, Ms. PacMan, and Galaga
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

Sis

MZ Pacman is my fav but I liked Centepede, too!

Tricia Lea

One other song I liked in the 80s was "Hey Mickey" by Toni Basil

I loved Duck hunt
Also loved Galitica, Ms Pacman and Centepede

Tricia Lea

Some differnt hair styles I had in the 80s lol

anyone else want to post their 80s pics

upcchris

...I could post my 80s pics....but I'd be either bald or have really short hair....I was born in '84....started kindergarten(do you know...it only just struck me that that's a German word) in '89...so most of my childhood ws more '90s....I don't know if this was solely an Aussie program...but has anyone heard of Mr. DooBee and the Romper Room? Also has anyone heard of Puddle Lane?....We used to watch that religiously and had the books as well.
Television is proof the people will look at anything rather than eachother

Life would be so much easier without hormones

Of all God's creations, humans are the only ones with enough imagination to be bored

Humans are fallible, and they unreasonably expect everyone else not to be

Tina~Chris

mini

I saw something last night that was out of the 90's (I know we are talking about the 80's)....remember when guys wore their braided leather belts and kinda let the end of it down and let it hang down about 8 inches on their leg?

Saw a kid last night who was desperately trying to look way cool doing the same thing with a cloth belt.  Made me want to laugh while slapping the fire outta him for looking so stupid.  LOL  Anyone knows you can only pull that off with a LEATHER belt!
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Sis

Quote from: upcchris on February 21, 2010, 12:22:08 PM
...I could post my 80s pics....but I'd be either bald or have really short hair....I was born in '84....started kindergarten(do you know...it only just struck me that that's a German word) in '89...so most of my childhood ws more '90s....I don't know if this was solely an Aussie program...but has anyone heard of Mr. DooBee and the Romper Room? Also has anyone heard of Puddle Lane?....We used to watch that religiously and had the books as well.

Romper Room went back to the late 50's here. Are you a good doobee? Or a bad doobee?   :laughhard:

Melody

somebody posted this on FB

You Know You Grew Up In The 80's If...

1. You've ever ended a sentence with the word "PSYCHE".

2. You watched the Pound Puppies.... See More

3. You can sing the rap to the "Fresh Prince of Belair " ...and can do the "Carlton".

4. Girls wore biker shorts under their skirts and felt stylishly sexy.

5. You yearned to be a member of the Baby-sitters club and tried to start a club of your own.

6. You owned those lil' Strawberry Shortcake pals scented dolls.

7. "WOAH " comes from Joey on Blossom.

8. Two words: Hammer Pants.

9. If you ever watched "Fraggle Rock ".

10. You had plastic streamers on your handle bars... and "spokey-dokes" or playing cards on your spokes for that incredible sound effect.

11. You can sing the entire theme song to "Duck Tales ". (Woo ooh!)

12. You wore a ponytail on the side of your head.

13. When it was actually worth getting up early on a Saturday to watch cartoons.

14. You saw the original "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles " on the big screen... and still know the turtles names.

15. You got super-excited when it was Oregon Trail day in computer class at school.

16. You made your mom buy one of those clips that would hold your shirt in a knot on the side.

17. You played the game "MASH ". (Mansion, Apartment, Shelter, House)

18. You wore stonewashed Jordache jean jackets and were proud of it.

19. L.A. Gear... need I say more.

20. You wore moon boots.

21. You remember reading "Tales of a fourth grade nothing " and all the Ramona books.

22. You know the profound meaning of "WAX ON, WAX OFF".

23. You wanted to be a Goonie.

24. You ever wore fluorescent clothing. (some of us... head-to-toe)

25. You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off and his cheeks shifted.

26. You had a collection of leg warmers.

27. You took lunch boxes to school... and traded Garbage Pail Kids in the schoolyard.

28. You remember the CRAZE, then the BANNING of slap bracelets.

29. You still get the urge to say "NOT " after every sentence.

30. You remember Hypercolor t-shirts.

31. Barbie and the Rockers was your favorite band.

32. You thought She-ra (Princess of Power!) and He-Man should hookup.

33. You thought your childhood friends would never leave because you exchanged handmade friendship bracelets.

34. You ever owned a pair of Jelly-Shoes. (and like #24, probably in neon colors, too)

35. After you saw Pee-Wee's Big Adventure you kept saying "I know you are, but what am I?"

36. You remember "I've fallen and I can't get up"

37. You remember going to the skating rink before there were inline skates.

38. You ever got seriously injured on a Slip and Slide.

39. You have ever played with a Skip-It.

40. You had or attended a birthday party at McDonalds.

41. You've gone through this nodding your head in agreement.

42. You remember Popples.

43. "Don't worry, be happy"

44. You wore like, EIGHT pairs of socks over tights with high top Reeboks.

45. You wore socks scrunched down (and sometimes still do...getting yelled at by "younger hip" members of the family)

46. "Miss MARY MACK MACK MACK, all dressed in BLACK BLACK BLACK "

47. You remember boom boxes. and walking around with one on your shoulder like you were all that.

48. You remember watching both "Gremlins" movies.

49. You know what it meant to say "Care Bear Stare!"

50. You remember watching "Rainbow Bright" and "My Little Pony Tales "

51. You thought Doogie Howser/Samantha Micelli was hot.

52. You remember Alf, the lil furry brown alien from Melmac.

53. You remember New Kids on the Block when they were cool... and don't even flinch when people refer to them as "NKOTB".

54. You knew all the characters names and their life stories on "Saved By the Bell ", the ORIGINAL class.

55. You know all the words to Bon Jovi - SHOT THROUGH THE HEART.

56. You just sang those words to yourself.

57.You remember watching Magic vs. Bird.

58. Homemade Levi shorts.

59. You remember when mullets were cool!

60. You had a mullet!

61. You still sing "We are the World"

62. You tight rolled your jeans.

63. You owned a bannana clip.

64. You remember "Where's the Beef?"

65. You used to (and probably still do) say "What you talkin' about Willis?"

66. You had big hair and you knew how to use it.

67. You're still singing shot through the heart in your head,aren't you!

Amelia Bedelia

Hah! That's a great list and soooo true lol

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Quote from: Amelia Bedelia on February 24, 2010, 03:46:53 AM
Hah! That's a great list and soooo true lol

Seriously! LOL

I loved "Saved By the Bell" ... poor Screech... :lol:

Feed The Bachelors 2010

sunlight

What in the world is doing the "Carlton"?
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

Dew-Ax-238

You will have to pardon me some here.. 80-84 I was in High school I was really into rock & roll..

to name a few...
Taking it on the run, In your letter, Keep on lovin you..... REO SPEED WAGON
Every breath you take.. Police
867-5309  JEnny
Hot Child in the City.
Meo me meo wasnt that a party
I love rock and roll
Pack man Fever
Hard to say I am sorry by Chicgo
Another one bits the dust  Queen  also Dont try sucide
In the Air tonight

Against the Wind Any thing by Bob Segar and the Silver Bullit Band.
Ac/Dc  Highway to hell
Pink Floyde We Dont need NO education on the Wall alublm.

Got think of more for you all... LOL
Isaiah 43:2    
When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee: and through the rivers, when thou walkest through the shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shall not be burned: neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.

Sis

Didn't grow up in the 80's but I remember all this stuff.  LOL

You Know You Grew Up In The 80's If...

10. You had plastic streamers on your handle bars... and "spokey-dokes" or playing cards on your spokes for that incredible sound effect. They have used playing cards in spokes for years before that. I think that went back to the 40s, perhaps.

25. You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off and his cheeks shifted. I remember what Michael Jackson looked like when he was part of the Jackson Five!

26. You had a collection of leg warmers.  Only one pair that I still have.

27. You took lunch boxes to school...  They had been taking lunch boxes to school since  Leave It To Beaver! LOL

35. After you saw Pee-Wee's Big Adventure you kept saying "I know you are, but what am I?" That saying was around before PeeWee was!

37. You remember going to the skating rink before there were inline skates. Rink skating was really popular in the 50s and 60s, too.

42. You remember Popples.  Bought my daughter some. We used to have fights with them.

46. "Miss MARY MACK MACK MACK, all dressed in BLACK BLACK BLACK " Also Billy Boy and Playmates.

54. You knew all the characters names and their life stories on "Saved By the Bell ", the ORIGINAL class. Loved that show. Have loads of them on tape. From the original through college

65. You used to (and probably still do) say "What you talkin' about Willis?" One day my daughter came in and I said something that she didn't hear and she turned around and said, "What you talkin' 'bout, Phyllis!" LOL

upcchris

Quote from: MellowYellow on February 24, 2010, 03:28:28 AM

32. You thought She-ra (Princess of Power!) and He-Man should hookup.
or you knew they were brother and sister (sheesh it says it in the intro to She-Ra!(lol, think I watched it enough?)), just living in different dimensions (there was a crossover one episode)

Yes shot through the heart is still going through my head

Of all God's creations, humans are the only ones with enough imagination to be bored

Tina~Chris

Heather

the goonies is still one of my favorite movies. a friend and i may be going to oregon this summer and she said we'll be in Astoria!!! eep!!!!
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

RandyWayne

The 80's....

The best music decade ever!  Creative use of synthesizers and electronic keyboards as well as the death of disco.  And it all happened before the HORRIBLE Hip/Hop 90's!  Honestly how many Maria Carey songs can you hum in the shower????

RandyWayne

Quote from: baristagirl on February 24, 2010, 02:36:37 PM
the goonies is still one of my favorite movies. a friend and i may be going to oregon this summer and she said we'll be in Astoria!!! eep!!!!

I would have to say that Ghostbusters is my favorite.

Tricia Lea

I heard one song from the 80s a few days ago at the mall and its been stuck in my head 

Stray Cat Strut by Stray Cats

upcchris

Never Ending Story I loved the movie and the music

Tina~Chris

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Quote from: upcchris on March 11, 2010, 01:46:06 AM
Never Ending Story I loved the movie and the music

That story made me sad, and inspired all in the same moment, and although the sequels were good, not sure that they would measure up to the first.

Between that story and the Chronicles of Narnia, I was transformed into a book worm.

Feed The Bachelors 2010

newkris

i graduated in 1984 and came into the church in 1986.

so i have an odd mix of 80 memories.  i won't post pics.  the only ones i have are BC and not very nice.  well.  maybe i'll see if i can find my graduation pic.  i think i may have posted it on facebook.

and the reason you don't remember many music videos from the 80s is because that's when they really started to groove on MTV.  first one i ever saw was for 99 Luft Balloons.  anyone remember that?  and not far behind was Michael Jackson and Thriller, Billie Jean.

anyone remember doing The Freak with Chic? 

as for REO speedwagon . . oh my word!  do i ever remember that?  you can tuna piano, but you can't tuna fish.  :pwink:
other music . . . the Police, Sting, The CARS!! 
Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult  (i taught my grandbabies to sing the chorus to that as we knock blocks down .  . .  hee hee . . . :pwink:)

\\\\\\\"i want to say more than words when i write\\\\\\\" - kent d. curry
me, too.

myspace.com\\\\\\\\krisknowshim
there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

Tricia Lea

The Cold Water Kid

'Surprised no one has mentioned Huey Lewis and the News. 'Hip to be Square'? Maybe the last pop song since '86 with a positive message.

newkris

and how many of us wanted to be Pat Benatar?  oh my word . . .
\\\\\\\"i want to say more than words when i write\\\\\\\" - kent d. curry
me, too.

myspace.com\\\\\\\\krisknowshim
there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.