News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

has anyone had a doula?

Started by zizi90, July 10, 2008, 12:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zizi90

Has anyone had a doula attend their birth, or been to a birth where a doula was present?

I am a doula in training and am looking at maybe doing my first birth in October. Am curious as to everyone's opinions on what things the doula did that were helpful/annoying etc...

Definition here for those of you who are like "A do- what?"

Doula: 1. A non-medical assistant in childbirth. A doula is not the father but is usually a woman who is experienced in childbirth. The role of the doula is to provide the mother with physical and emotional assistance before, during, or after childbirth. Also known as a birth assistant, birth companion, childbirth assistant, or labor support professional.
www.PaulinaCarmel.com ~Modest Clothing~
www.PaulinaCarmel.Blogspot.com ~Mod Fashion Blog

nicolejoy

It's VERY common over here in Hong Kong. I considered it for the birth of my baby in October, but I didn't want to pay for it. I've actually considered it over again, wondering if I made the right decision... I chose not to because my health insurance wouldn't cover it - but I've been thinking, maybe it's worth it, even if I have to pay for it myself!!

In Hong Kong, I think it's so common because a lot of people are away from their families and support groups and everything - so they don't have a mother to rely on or anything like that... Having a doula can kinda fill that gap a little...

Also - I know that in the public hospital, if you're less than 3cm dilated, you don't get admitted to the hospital delivery room - you have to be in a ward with other labouring women - and since it's a shared room, husbands are not allowed in! So many women will decide to get a doula and labour at home for a while until they are further along so they can go to the hospital when they are more than 3cm dilated.

From what I've heard, the important things are - listen to what the parents want, spend a lot of time talking with them pre delivery and know their birth plan inside out. Then you can liaise with the hospital staff on behalf of the parents. Be calm, but not overpowering... those are the things that I've heard are good - and those are what I'd look for in a doula...

If you wanna come to Hong Kong in October, you can be MY doula!! ;) hehe

sunlight

one of my best friends who studied with me in nursing school, and is now working with me in the hospital was a doula. She loved her job, and ended up making her own business out of it.
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!