News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

smoking-: gotta quit

Started by yosemite, April 24, 2008, 02:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Cold Water Kid

It's like that for some people.

Me, I wanted to stop not long after I started at the age of 22 but it would be another 10 years before I kicked. Now that I'm free there is almost no way I'd have another one, but then I never really liked them to start with.

yosemite

Quote from: The Cold Water Kid on April 10, 2010, 09:28:31 PM
It's like that for some people.

Me, I wanted to stop not long after I started at the age of 22 but it would be another 10 years before I kicked. Now that I'm free there is almost no way I'd have another one, but then I never really liked them to start with.

:great:
My conscience is captive to the Word of God.Thus I cannot and will not recant, for going against my conscience is neither safe nor salutary. I can do no other, here i stand, God help me. Amen      -Martin Luther

ShelleBelle76

I just wanted to post a little bit of encouragement for you.  I smoked for 16 long years, an average of a pack a day but sometimes as much as two packs.  I loved smoking and had no desire to quit.  When I decided to give my life to God, I knew that there were some things I would have to give up that were not pleasing to Him.  On the day I was to be baptised, I decided there was no better time to quit smoking.  If I was going to be washed clean, I wasn't going to just dirty myself back up. :-)  I smoked all the way up until time to go to the church.  After I was baptised, I was determined to make this change, and I did great until the next afternoon.  I was so cranky, and moody and thoughts of smoking consumed my mind to the point I was ready to just give in and try the gradual approach. I finally closed my eyes and sincerely told God I desperately needed His help.  I didn't ask Him to deliver me from smoking, but just to ease my cravings for a while and make this process tolerable for me.  I don't lie when I say IMMEDIATELY a peace came over me and the insane cravings stopped.  The next day I felt nothing, and the next and the next! About a week and a half later I wasn't even really having physical cravings, but I was missing the "act" of smoking (this had been something I did for sooo long!)  So I got a cigarette from a neighbor and snuck into the corner of the backyard, and lit up.  It was the foulest, most foreign thing I have ever done.  It was so strange, as if I were smoking for the very first time ever.  And it was awful.  I knew then that God had not only delivered me from the desire to smoke, but I was CLEAN, as if I had never smoked before!

I cannot tell you why God delivered me from smoking, because I know so many others have prayed for the same thing.  But I do know that my heart was 100% serious about making the change, and I realized that although I intended to give it my best effort, I could not do it alone.  I think when you really make up your mind that you are going to do it... no more excuses, and realize that it is probably going to be uncomfortable and difficult, He will meet you and take you through the part you cannot do alone! :-)

Geri

Please pardon me if this has already been suggested, as I was lazy and didn't take the time to read all 4 pages lol.

I worked with a woman one summer that was trying to quit, and she found a way that worked well for her, so I thought I would share in case it helped you.  She didn't have access to go buy cigarettes during the day, so every morning, she would put a certain number of cigarettes in an envelope and take that with her instead of a whole pack.  I don't know how long she waited before decreasing the amount, but she gradually took the number down one by one until one day she came to work with one cigarette, and then got to the point where she still went home with that one cigarette.

If you have easy access to buy more cigarettes during the day, then this might not work, but it might be worth a shot.

Geri

Melody

It sounds as if he has finally quit.   :clap:

Geri

That's great! :clap: I knew I was going to to miss something by not reading the rest of the posts lol.

yosemite

My conscience is captive to the Word of God.Thus I cannot and will not recant, for going against my conscience is neither safe nor salutary. I can do no other, here i stand, God help me. Amen      -Martin Luther

Brother Dad

He still smokes a mean chicken on the grill. 
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

The Cold Water Kid

When I was a kid I thought all chickens were mean.

iridiscente

yosemite

I can do all things!!!!

Through Christ who strengthens me!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: