News:

:teeth: To crack the Top 10 posters, you must have over 11,000 posts. :teeth:

Main Menu

smoking-: gotta quit

Started by yosemite, April 24, 2008, 02:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yosemite

in another artical my wife started some one said cinnamon helped with nic-fits. i gotta quit smoking! any body got any good ways of doing this. i tried cold turkey but mean,nervous,hungry and angry is me when i tried this.  thnx yo
My conscience is captive to the Word of God.Thus I cannot and will not recant, for going against my conscience is neither safe nor salutary. I can do no other, here i stand, God help me. Amen      -Martin Luther

Backseat Radio

Some can go cold turkey and make it.  Others have to work the habit down little at a time. There have also been some that God delivers instantly from the habit.   Main thing is don't give up the quest to quit smoking.  With the help of God and the support of friends you can do it.

sunlight

as with all addictions... (someone told me once or i read once)- you may mess up every now and then, but you have to never quit quitting.
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

Backseat Radio

I was very fortunate that my dad caught me about a month after I got started with smoking and duly threatened me with I would either give up the cigarettes or I wouldn't be helping out with things at church.  Because of that the habbit didn't go any further in my life and that was back in the summer of 99 that I got caught.  Even with the short time I was involved in smoking I still have occasions where I have to battle with the desire to light up another cigarette but I know its worth resisting that desire because giving in would just give it another foothold in my life to bind me with addiction.

Sis

OK Ciggie butts were another thing I had trouble getting rid of. I prayed constantly. I read someplace, don't pray when you're finished with it. Pray while you're doing it. It took a looooong time but God took it one day and that last one didn't even taste good. I didn't have any trouble after that because it was God's work. It took a long time, though.

I prayed that I never wanted to quit, never thought of quitting but I knew He didn't want me harming my body and it wasn't pleasing to Him so I would need help getting rid of it. Stuff like that.

Now, there are patches and gum over the counter so you can try that stuff AND pray. God wants you, if you're having trouble, he will help you but I guess he wanted to know I was serious.

yosemite

i've herd of pepermint candy,rubber bands on wrist,keeping full unopened pack in pockett,smoking untill sick,cinnamon,prayer. iknow i have to be patient with god cause he works on his own time not mine,but the others dont or wouldnt seem to work for me. patches and such are much higher than smoking. i can barely afford smokes. i figured it up and in a years time i could knock a BIG dent in the vacation my wife wants to disney world. seems like that would be motivation enuff. addiction!!!!   thnx yo
My conscience is captive to the Word of God.Thus I cannot and will not recant, for going against my conscience is neither safe nor salutary. I can do no other, here i stand, God help me. Amen      -Martin Luther

MelodyB

Quote from: sunlight on April 24, 2008, 03:43:07 AM
as with all addictions... (someone told me once or i read once)- you may mess up every now and then, but you have to never quit quitting.

Never quit quitting....that was in a book I think...I read it somewhere too...

Oh wait. I know where it was. It was in a thread here. Yeah...I remember that. ;)
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Sis

It's not just motivation. That addiction is a lot stronger in some of us. 

I don't know how many times I'd try on my own. It just didn't work.  Once I was even walking down the street and there was a LIT whole cigarette. Well, after day three you know what I did!

The devil was in it for sure. He had to be. Another time, I found a half a pack laying on the ground with the matches stuck in the package. So there we went again. It was a horrible experince fighting the devil and the addiction at the same time.

You're not alone. You're not the only one. Some can do it alone. Stevebert did, but I couldn't. It was just too strong and was beating me at every turn.

God loves you. Pray. God will make a way, even if he takes his time doing it. The way might be the patch or the gum or just plain his intervention, but he will do it.

BTW, I've been reading that drug for quitting smoking you get from the doctor, is bad stuff. It can make some emotionally a wreck and suicidal. I'd avoid that stuff.

yosemite

not goin doctor rt.. gonna try to do it with out patch-them thangs are hi. i just cant seem to find the LAST ciggi. its always just one more,ok just one more pack,maybe just one more carton. will power! where is it?

NessasMama

I've never had to quit smoking, but, I've watched my mom quit. She got so sick back in December that she had no choic but to quit. She is on oxygen, prolly for the rest of her life. My dad is in the process of quitting. He was really sick for about 3 wks, and hasn't been able to handle them. He wants to not pick it back up, but, with all the stress he is under, I don't know if that's gonna happen or not. I pray that he doesn't pick it up.

I have no idea how a person can quit.
I was born weird -- this terrible compulsion to behave normally is the result of childhood trauma.

EricShane

your will, and want to has to be Stronger than your Addiction.
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

Tsalagi

The angry stuff starts because basically the body stops regulating blood sugar when you smoke. 

The body is efficient; if something else is doing it quicker, why would it waste resources?

It takes a cigarette nothing flat, couple of seconds - to raise blood sugar, the body does it naturally in about 7 to ten minutes.  This is why a person wants a smoke after a meal.

It usually takes cinnamon about ten minutes to work, if you take it on an empty stomach you will feel the 'warmth' in about that time.

By taking 2 cinnamon capsules or just a teaspoon of powdered cinnamon right before you eat, you can avoid the serious crankies when quitting, if you eat regularly.

It takes about two months after cold turkey quitting for the blood sugar regulation to completely get back to normal. 

yosemite

so taslagi.what you said may have merit. a orderly diet may curb nic attaks and crankies with cinnamon. i wonder what meals could attribute to conqering this habbit or addiction. being a trucker my diet is messed up anyway. mostly when driving hard all i have is a over ample amount of mt.dew and in 5hrs driving i can smoke as much as half a pack of ciggs. and not eat for a day or two. when at home i eat about 2mls a day and dont smoke but maybe a pack a day. i feel that if i can quit smoking and drinking mt.dew i could be a lot healthier. :banghead: :tearhair:

Envelope

my dad prayed (when my twin and I were 7 and my parents divorced) that if he got custody of us, he'd quit smoking!!  He got custody of us, and threw his ciggi's down the toilet and never touched another one..........and it was 5 YEARS later before he even GOT the Holy Ghost!!!!

God CAN and WILL help you!!!! 

At my old clinic, one patient who quit smoking bought himself a brand new computer after 6 months with all the money he saved by quitting!!!!

My (late) FIL quit smoking when he found out he had throat cancer----he lived 19 additional years and my MIL quit the day HE did because she didn't want to smoke in front of him.

As far as suggestions, I don't have any.............I've never tried smoking...........ever.........but I DO KNOW it can be very hard to quit...........but don't give up on giving up!!!!  God sees your effort, even if you are STILL smoking!!!

sharon

Brother Dad

Brother all I can say is I will be praying for you.  I never had the habit of smoking (while I had my own issues).  I have heard people talk about how hard it is to stop.  So with that and anything else people have trouble with I say love them and pray for them.  So things a harder to lay down than others.  My thought and prayers are with.  Sorry I could not give better advice, but I don't know what works.  But I am on your side.
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

yosemite

i think the best advise has already been shared, keep on keeping on quiting. and a truth from the heart is i trully dont think i have put enuff effort into it. i just think of quiting and it sends me on a smoking frenzy.

1. prayer
                                   2. quit
                                   3. willpower
                                   4. some more prayer
                                   5. repeat till quit

Brother Dad

Quote from: yosemite on May 02, 2008, 09:34:31 PM
i think the best advise has already been shared, keep on keeping on quiting. and a truth from the heart is i trully dont think i have put enuff effort into it. i just think of quiting and it sends me on a smoking frenzy.

1. prayer
                                   2. quit
                                   3. willpower
                                   4. some more prayer
                                   5. repeat till quit
Sounds like a plan all you left out was gettin back here to visit.
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Sis

Will that help him quit smoking?  :couch:

Brother Dad

yosemite

at this moment i think i would even try water boarding by fbi and cia. a visit to bro dad and sis mom would be pleasant,besides it might help me quit since i do try not to smoke around other beleivers. while we were with them i didnt smoke any(i dont think).

Brother Dad

Quote from: yosemite on May 03, 2008, 03:25:36 AM
at this moment i think i would even try water boarding by fbi and cia. a visit to bro dad and sis mom would be pleasant,besides it might help me quit since i do try not to smoke around other beleivers. while we were with them i didnt smoke any(i dont think).
You sure enough didn't smoke while you were with us.  Nothing but good ole fellowship.

yosemite

i tried not to. some times the habit is so bad i dont realize i have lit up. -yo

Nerd

yosemite

hey cool guy,let me see whats uuuuppppp!! rent,price of fuel,price of food,bills,sky and hilda beast's popularity pole!!!LOL ROFL.-yo

Sis

Oh great! Now he even sounds like me. Are you sure we're not brother and sister, separated at birth (or hatched?) :rofl: