News:

Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

westerns and trucks anybody here into these

Started by yosemite, April 02, 2008, 03:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yosemite

i am into old trucks. i am currently building a 57 ford f100. i know not many oneness people watch tv but i like old westerns also. asu can see one of my favs in pic or avatar. can u guess his name. even i forget it sometimes. if u get his name can u tell what movie this pic is from?   thnx yo
My conscience is captive to the Word of God.Thus I cannot and will not recant, for going against my conscience is neither safe nor salutary. I can do no other, here i stand, God help me. Amen      -Martin Luther

Tsalagi

Isn't that Gabby Hayes?  The one from all the old John Wayne movies?

Sis

That's my guess. Don't like westerns much. When I was a kid I used to watch Gunsmoke. I really liked the Rifleman and Sky King.

Nerd

Is that Walter Brennan?

I know he was in a few westerns so I have no idea what movie.

yosemite

yea that is walter brennon. this pic is from the movie rio lobo with john wayne. gabby hayes!LOL FACT:gabby hayes had all his teeth pulled to apear older in pictures.  FACT: walter brennon talks the way he did because of a war injury.            thnx yo
My conscience is captive to the Word of God.Thus I cannot and will not recant, for going against my conscience is neither safe nor salutary. I can do no other, here i stand, God help me. Amen      -Martin Luther

Sis

George "Gabby" Hayes:

Rumor: He had all his teeth pulled to look older in the movies.  (7 May 1885 - 9 February 1969 died of heart problems)

Walter Brennan:

I never would have recognized him like this

25 July 1894, Swampscott, Massachusetts,
Date of Death:21 September 1974, Oxnard, California Died of emphysema

He could play sophisticated businessmen, con artists, local yokels, cowhands and military officers with apparent equal ease. An accident in 1932 cost him most of his teeth, and he most often was seen in eccentric rural parts, often playing characters much older than his actual age. His career never really declined, and in the 1950s he became an even more endearing and familiar figure in several television series, most famously "The Real McCoys" (1957).

yosemite

ok ur gettin info at a different place. i got mine off the bonus matterial on dvd's. did it say brennons accident was from the war because my info said it was war related? i dont know why i alway like the comic releif charecters. gabby, festus,brennon,yosemite always atracted my attention more than the mainliners. thnx yo   quiz: what two westerns did john wayne do that were almost identical.  HINT: in one there was a charecter called mississippi in the other the charecter was called colorado.

Sis

The problem could have been caused by a war injury. It didn't have details.

Well, in Rio Bravo, wasn't Ricky Nelson named Colorado?

Sis

I can't remember who, but there was a poster who was a John Wayne movie lover. Maybe they don't post anymore.

What was the movie where he was in an airplane, perhaps a pilot with Patricia Neal. That was the only John Wayne movie I really liked.

yosemite

yes! rio bravo was one of the movies. it did have ricky nelson and walter brennon in it but what was the other.    and i dont know about wayne movie in a plane. just horses and trains.  thnx yo

Nerd

QuoteWhat was the movie where he was in an airplane, perhaps a pilot with Patricia Neal. That was the only John Wayne movie I really liked.

Wasn't it 'Flying Tigers' or 'Fighting Tigers' or something like that?

yosemite

i think your right but sis gonna have to be one to say. i like john wayne but i stay toward the westerns. :great:

mini

Quote from: Sis on April 02, 2008, 04:18:34 AM
That's my guess. Don't like westerns much. When I was a kid I used to watch Gunsmoke. I really liked the Rifleman and Sky King.

What kinda plane did Sky King fly?
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Sis

Quote from: coolguy on April 02, 2008, 09:26:15 PM
QuoteWhat was the movie where he was in an airplane, perhaps a pilot with Patricia Neal. That was the only John Wayne movie I really liked.

Wasn't it 'Flying Tigers' or 'Fighting Tigers' or something like that?

Sounds familiar. It wasn't a test. I really didn't remember. LOL

I forgot which plane Sky King flew. Haven't seen a sky King movie for over ten years.

Ok here's what I found online

http://www.skyking.com/Bamboo.gif

Sis

:sing:
Wyatt Earp, Wyatt Earp,
Brave courageous and bold.
Long live his fame and long live his glory
and long may his story be told.

bishopnl

Quotequiz: what two westerns did john wayne do that were almost identical.  HINT: in one there was a charecter called mississippi in the other the charecter was called colorado.

I'd have to go with El Dorado and Rio Lobo.  In El Dorado he starred with James Caan as "Mississippi" and in Rio Lobo with Ricky Nelson as "Colorado."  Two of my favorite John Wayne movies. 

I like Westerns, old and new.  Rio Lobo is probably my favorite Wayne pic, although I have great appreciation for The Searchers, which a lot of critics argue is the greatest Western ever made.  I'm also an Audie Murphy fan...I liked his remake of Destry, (although the original with Jimmy Stewart is good as well).  He also starred in a movie with Stewart called Night Passage, which is a great movie.  I heard Stewart wasn't a fan of the movie, and only joined the cast because the script had him playing an accordion. 
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~
- Mark Twain, a Biography

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

- James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

Nerd

QuoteWyatt Earp, Wyatt Earp,
Brave courageous and bold.
Long live his fame and long live his glory
and long may his story be told.

:eyebrow:

Out of consideration for the Ringos on this board, I'd ask you not to sing that anymore.

:goodmod:

;)

I liked the movies 'Big Jake' and 'True Grit'.

Sis

yosemite

yes it was el dorado! man another western buff. you mentioned some of my all time favs as well. i also have a great fondness for the cowboys by wayne. but narrowing the field of all time favs no-body has to be my favorite westerns along with trinity. ole blue eyes.   thnx yo

bishopnl

Quote from: yosemite on April 07, 2008, 01:50:39 AM
yes it was el dorado! man another western buff. you mentioned some of my all time favs as well. i also have a great fondness for the cowboys by wayne. but narrowing the field of all time favs no-body has to be my favorite westerns along with trinity. ole blue eyes.   thnx yo

I'm a movie buff in general, lol.  But Wayne is one of my favorite actors, period.  In addition to some of the other movies listed here, I like Stagecoach which is also a great movie.  And some of his earlier, 1 hour western movies are entertaining, even if they aren't great movies.  Oh yeah, and ya gotta mention "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" a classic, and a great movie! :thumbsup2:
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

yosemite

like you i am a movie buff in general,but am frustrated at hollyweird. i like movies that dont contest moral standing. action movies of this generation are to unmoral to watch. my remidy is to watch old movies if at all. a good plus is there was so many westerns made it is like watching new movies. im not even hooked to outside network. i depend on dvd's to entertain my household. recently have bought collection of bible movies. westerns and bible movies,thats about all we watch. loved the movie flywheel and facing the giants.  thnx yo

sunlight

Quote from: yosemitelike you i am a movie buff in general,but am frustrated at hollyweird. i like movies that dont contest moral standing. action movies of this generation are to unmoral to watch.
:clap:
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

bishopnl

Quote from: yosemite on April 07, 2008, 08:18:23 PM
like you i am a movie buff in general,but am frustrated at hollyweird. i like movies that dont contest moral standing. action movies of this generation are to unmoral to watch. my remidy is to watch old movies if at all. a good plus is there was so many westerns made it is like watching new movies. im not even hooked to outside network. i depend on dvd's to entertain my household. recently have bought collection of bible movies. westerns and bible movies,thats about all we watch. loved the movie flywheel and facing the giants.  thnx yo

We watch a LOT of old movies at my house...that's probably about 85% of what we watch.  In my opinion, they usually contain better story lines, better acting, and don't rely on CGI tricks to hold the audience.  I watch a pretty wide variety of old movies though.  Some of my fav's....All About Eve (w/Bette Davis), Casablanca, Angels with Dirty Faces, and Captain Blood.  

Btw, I don't know if anyone has seen Amazing Grace (w/Mr. Fantastic from the Fantastic Four), but it is a fantastic movie.  I can't recommend it highly enough.  And it is overtly Christian.

Sis

Quote from: yosemite on April 07, 2008, 08:18:23 PM

Ahhhhh! A man after my own ideas. But I'm not really into cowboy movies. Like old Carry Grant movies, detective movies, comedies. Not much after 1980's. I think Big is the only one I have really liked that was made in the early 80's. I love that step on piano thingie where the two guys play chopsticks.

I may knock on Bishop's house some day. LOL

Love Casablanca, the Third Man, The African Queen, Streetcar Named Desire, The Maltese Falcon, etc.

bishopnl

The Third Man is a very good movie!  In fact, most anything with Orson Welles is good....Citizen Kane, Touch of Evil....and IMO, he was the best radio version of the Shadow.  :)

Btw, I also like Cary Grant...I just watched Gunga Din the other night.  Great movie.