News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

What I've learned from Exodus

Started by iridiscente, February 05, 2009, 08:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iridiscente

Every time I read Exodus, I'm shocked by how the children of Israel didn't WANT to leave Egypt. This is exhibited in their attitudes the whole way to the promised land. (It makes sense as a type, because many people do not want to leave sin because of its momentary pleasure that is even biblically supported, but I'm always surprised that they felt that way in the literal sense.)

Then I think of how Egypt was all that they had ever known. The ancient people of their history who had come there were only stories. What did they have to look forward to? What proof did they have that it existed? Remembering these things, it's not so surprising that they wanted to stay. Human nature bows to the law of inertia. Even when an environment is unpleasant, it can be preferred to the less threatening psychological fear of the unknown. Fighting for a cause that demands physical and psychological sacrifice requires one to be completely committed.The children of Israel weren't. By the same thought, many times, neither am I. If something gets uncomfortable or pushes me to do something involving an emotional or spiritual risk, pride and fear combine to make a very strong noose for the challenge.

The over simplified answer of "why would the children of Israel NOT want to leave a physically, emotionally and spiritually abusive environment" becomes a lot scarier and closer to home when and looked at in depth. What am I attached to in my environment that I wouldn't want to give up for God to the point that it could be spiritually crippling? Am I ready to do anything more, or am I still so spiritually immature that any thought of change makes me cling to my spiritual comfort blanket and pacifier? Why would I give up my inferior, but familiar surroundings and attitudes for some nebulous better that requires sacrifice and faith?

We were never called to be complacent place holders. We are needed to make a difference in the world. It is necessary to pray for God to give a desire to move beyond what we're comfortable with, because without commitment we will quickly run back to where we're unchallenged. I will readily admit that I am weak and pitifully human without Him. A prayer for desire is sure to get answered, so one must be ready to cling to Him instead of the brain's channels of habit that we will otherwise quickly divert to. Fear is a great controller and so is pride. But we have a higher calling crafted by one whose very nature is love, and love trumps fear every time. And the adventure is waiting.

SippinTea

"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

RainbowJingles

Great post, Dina!

Having just been reading in Genesis, something stands out to me on the same topic and may add some insight to what you are saying.

GOD HIMSELF led Jacob/Israel to Egypt.  GOD directed Jacob to take his family there.  GOD had prepared the way with Joseph and his trials.  There was no doubt that GOD had paved the way for the children of Israel to be there.

Egypt is where God led the children of Israel for a time.
Egypt was home, and they were well-fed.
Egypt was the place God told them they were SUPPOSED to be.

Sometimes we are guilty of the same feelings.
We are in "the right place" or the "place God wants us to be" and are content, not realizing that it's not the final place that God has for us in His plan.  His plan is so much bigger than just the place He puts us for a short time.  His plan is so much bigger than one particular resting spot on a map.

Egypt was like the first rest area on the map that would lead to the Promised Land.  They were going in the right direction.  They had followed God.  God had led them there.  But somewhere along the way, they lost sight of the fact that God had also told Jacob that He wouldn't leave his offspring there, but would bring them out to their promise.  Egypt wasn't their promise, BUT... GOD had put them there.

Don't settle for something (life circumstance, trial, difficulty, etc) because "God put you there," but rather recognize that NOT every place that God takes us in our lives is where we are supposed to stay.  Yes, He may allow a trial or difficulty in our lives, but that doesn't mean it's going to be there FOREVER!  Move on in HIM.

sunlight

sometimes ya gotta grow before you can handle a promise huh...
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

RainbowJingles

Good grief.  Paragraphs and paragraphs, and you come in and sum it all up with one sentence.  lol

That's what I meant, Chel.  :-)

The Purple Fuzzy

:bigcheese:  *Big cheesy proud mama grin* for my girls.

iridiscente

To take that a step farther:

Exo 24:9  Moses and Aaron, together with Nadab and Abihu and the seventy leaders, went up the mountain
Exo 24:10  and saw the God of Israel. Under his feet was something that looked like a pavement made out of sapphire, and it was as bright as the sky.

Whoa! Just shows that miracles and signs do not a believer make. Aaron soon  after made a golden bull to worship. pah.