News:

The staff of Godplace.com welcomes you to our little house of fun. If you have a spiritual need, feel free to  contact any staff member.

Main Menu

Is Barack Obama Turning Apostolic?

Started by bishopnl, July 11, 2008, 03:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yosemite

My conscience is captive to the Word of God.Thus I cannot and will not recant, for going against my conscience is neither safe nor salutary. I can do no other, here i stand, God help me. Amen      -Martin Luther

Tsalagi

IMO, the banning of facial hair is part of the 'traditions of men'.

God created a man to have a beard.  This does not appreciatively differ from the 'bit missing' after circumcision - God also created men whole in that regard - and both have to do with maleness, yet one of them differs significantly in that removing it symbolized a man's separation unto God (or 'holiness' if you will) from the lust of the flesh.

The other one is a sign to the public that a person is indeed male.  One does not have to do anything to grow one other than be male.  Men are not born with the ability to grow jewelry, or to manifest women's clothing, nor any of the other things forbidden by scripture.  Nor are they born with a razor in hand.

One of them exists above the collar line, too - so unless one is suggesting that men should wear a 'beard veil' to keep people from being offended...

Second, the practice of scraping one's face bare did not originate with the Hebrews.  In the Middle Eastern region, it was popularized by the Romans, who borrowed it from the Greek culture they so admired.

The Greeks were notorious for sexual perversions, it was a stereotype of the day, pointed out by the Roman satiricist Juvenal. 

Therefore I postulate that growing a beard is more in keeping with God's plan for males than scraping the face bare to appear younger.

I am offended when people get offended by beards.

yosemite

My conscience is captive to the Word of God.Thus I cannot and will not recant, for going against my conscience is neither safe nor salutary. I can do no other, here i stand, God help me. Amen      -Martin Luther

Sis

We are wandering into standards issues which is a  :nono:  We tried politely to guide the conversation back to the issue, which is Did Obama turn Apostolic?

yosemite

newkris

Quote from: Tsalagi on July 14, 2008, 12:14:37 AM
IMO, the banning of facial hair is part of the 'traditions of men'.

God created a man to have a beard.  This does not appreciatively differ from the 'bit missing' after circumcision - God also created men whole in that regard - and both have to do with maleness, yet one of them differs significantly in that removing it symbolized a man's separation unto God (or 'holiness' if you will) from the lust of the flesh.

The other one is a sign to the public that a person is indeed male.  One does not have to do anything to grow one other than be male.  Men are not born with the ability to grow jewelry, or to manifest women's clothing, nor any of the other things forbidden by scripture.  Nor are they born with a razor in hand.

One of them exists above the collar line, too - so unless one is suggesting that men should wear a 'beard veil' to keep people from being offended...

Second, the practice of scraping one's face bare did not originate with the Hebrews.  In the Middle Eastern region, it was popularized by the Romans, who borrowed it from the Greek culture they so admired.

The Greeks were notorious for sexual perversions, it was a stereotype of the day, pointed out by the Roman satiricist Juvenal. 

Therefore I postulate that growing a beard is more in keeping with God's plan for males than scraping the face bare to appear younger.

I am offended when people get offended by beards.

you know?  sometimes . . . i just love you.  *smile*  you rock.
\\\\\\\"i want to say more than words when i write\\\\\\\" - kent d. curry
me, too.

myspace.com\\\\\\\\krisknowshim
there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

OGIA

If everyone had dnr's attitude, they wouldn't have to justify offending their brother. 

Thumbs up again, dnr!!   :great:

And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one. Zechariah 14:9

Ignorance of the Identity of the One True God is not a valid reason to practice idolatry.

OGIA

Quote from: Tsalagi on July 14, 2008, 12:14:37 AM

The other one is a sign to the public that a person is indeed male.  One does not have to do anything to grow one other than be male.       

Interesting, Tsalagi.  But, I have to ask: since circumcision was something that symbolized "man's separation unto God (or 'holiness' if you will) from the lust of the flesh", why would a beard not also be something that used to  be used to identify a person as a man?

And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one. Zechariah 14:9

Ignorance of the Identity of the One True God is not a valid reason to practice idolatry.

dnr1128

Quote from: OGIA on July 14, 2008, 02:06:09 AM

If everyone had dnr's attitude, they wouldn't have to justify offending their brother. 

Thumbs up again, dnr!!   :great:

I truly am shocked!  I think this must be the first time in Godplace, Pkministries.com, UPCI.com, or any of the various other evolutionary states of Godplace that somebody has said that.  lol  Usually I'm getting criticized for stirring the pot, which is what I thoroughly enjoy. 

Is Obama turning Apostolic?  No, he is not. 
Sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

Newsman

No more discussion of beards and facial hair standards in this thread.

John

bishopnl

The title of the thread, and indeed the term "Apostolic" was being used very loosely. 

I pointed out that Bishop Brazier holds some "non-traditional" Apostolic views, like eternal security.  But they do hold a Oneness viewpoint, and baptism in Jesus name (even if, as I pointed out, he is accepting of those who don't).  They are associated with the Apostolic movement, whether they measure up to our standards of Apostolic or not.

Am I suggesting that membership at ACOG makes Obama "one of us?"  No.  I'm merely pointing out that of the politicians and presidents who have had exposure to Apostolics, albeit "true" Apostolics (by whichever measuring stick) or pseudo Apostolics, isn't it funny that it's people like Barack Obama and Bill Clinton?
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~
- Mark Twain, a Biography

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

- James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

titushome

Quote from: dnr1128 on July 13, 2008, 06:26:59 PM
If I were a betting man, I'd be putting money on Obama.  He's more than likely to be the next president.  Essentially this is a do-over of the 1996 election between Dole and Clinton;  a young, charasmatic dem versus an older, politically established war hero.  With his mantra of "change", whatever that means, Obama appeals to the current sentiment of frustration with politics in general.  Most people just don't have the critical thinking ability to ask "what kind of change are we talking about". 

I think so too.

Newsman: No more discussion of beards and facial hair standards in this thread.

I didn't think one little off-hand, off-topic comment would get everyone going....
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

bishopnl

Newsman: No more discussion of beards and facial hair standards in this thread.

I didn't think one little off-hand, off-topic comment would get everyone going....

Clearly you are unfamiliar with some posters then. ;)

As for the definition of the term Apostolic...I doubt I'd measure up, at least in certain circles.  ;)  So there.
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~
- Mark Twain, a Biography

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

- James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

titushome

Quote from: bishopnl on July 14, 2008, 02:48:23 PM
As for the definition of the term Apostolic...I doubt I'd measure up, at least in certain circles.  ;)  So there.

:hip:
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

Scott

Quote from: Newsman on July 14, 2008, 02:26:33 AM
No more discussion of beards and facial hair standards in this thread.

John

:copcar:

Moderator John gave instructions for this thread. 

If those instructions are not followed, the thread will be removed and the offenders dealt with by staff.

:copcar:
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Tea

:laughhard: No, that man is NOT turning apostolic..  that's a kneeslapper.
Smile