News:

You can reach your profile and change its settings here.

Main Menu

Is Barack Obama Turning Apostolic?

Started by bishopnl, July 11, 2008, 03:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bishopnl

Could Apostolic become the Obamas' permanent church?

June 16, 2008

MARY MITCHELL marym@suntimes.com

If Barack and Michelle Obama are shopping for a new church home, Apostolic Church of God must be on their short list.

On Sunday, members of Apostolic greeted the Obamas with an outpouring of affection despite the backlash two other prominent Chicago ministers associated with Obama have endured.

The presumptive Democratic presidential nominee delivered a "tough-love" Father's Day speech to an overflow audience that filled the balcony and spilled into adjacent meeting halls.

"If we are honest with ourselves, too many fathers are also missing. Too many fathers are MIA. Too many fathers are AWOL . . . missing from too many lives and from too many homes. They have abandoned their responsibilities, and they are acting like boys instead of men," Obama said.

"Coming from a man's man; coming from our community; coming from someone who could talk about his own father, he was the best man for the job," said Donald Sturges, who is a father.

"I was inspired. I was motivated."

Rousing welcome

The congregation seemed to take all the hoopla of metal detectors and the media throng in stride.

In an introduction that touched on the broad themes of the Obama campaign, Bishop Arthur Brazier, who recently retired as senior pastor and turned the reins of the church over to his son, gave Obama a rousing welcome.

"He's a man who has given all of his adult life to helping people. He is concerned about the poor. He is concerned about the working man. He is a true patriot, and he has done something in this country that I thought I would never see," Brazier said.

"I am filled with emotion because I have lived through some very tough times in America, but the America today is not the America of yesteryear, and I don't think it behooves us well to keep talking about the past," he said.

Brazier, who drew heated criticism from political activists in the past for his support of Mayor Daley over black challengers, is a sharp contrast to Obama's former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright and even the Rev. Michael Pfleger, pastor of St. Sabina Catholic Church.

Part of living history

Both Wright and Pfleger got caught in an unflattering media spotlight after harsh remarks they made about race ended up on YouTube and as fodder for Obama's opponents.

Brazier, who transformed a large swatch of Woodlawn through a redevelopment company that built affordable homes in the area, pointed out that while the "struggle" goes on, "America is a great country."

In his speech, Obama used his slow start among black voters to illustrate a point about parenting.

"It was interesting how many people would say, 'Barack we love you, man . . . but we just don't think a black man can be elected president.' We had already defeated ourselves before we got started," he said.

Not anymore.

Waunetka Clark brought her 10-year-old son, Demarcus, to see living history.

"One day he can tell his children and his grandchildren that he was part of this defining moment," she said.

Source

ACOG Site

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't remember if we discussed Obama's speech when it happened, but I've only lately started hearing rumours (unsubstantiated) that ACOG might be one of the churches the Obama's make their home after their messy splity with Trinity.

For those unfamiliar with ACOG, it belonged to the PAW for many years, until recently.  It baptizes in Jesus name and preaches Spirit infilling.  Bishop Brazier is one of the leaders, though, who advocated more dialogue with Trinitarian pastors, including invitations to speak, and also held to a doctrinal position of eternal security.  My limited understanding is that the church is quite active in Chicago and similar in stature and influence to Trinity there.  Also, I believe Obama is friends with Bishop Brazier, and I know that Brazier supports his candidacy.

Still...it's interesting at the least.  Assuming Obama will win (which isn't a lock, but is looking more likely) the presidency, of all the presidents in my lifetime, the two who have had the strongest connection to the Apostolic movement have been Bill Clinton and now, perhaps, Barack Obama.
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~
- Mark Twain, a Biography

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

- James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

titushome

"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

HolinessPK

n/a

dnr1128

He can go to an Apostolic church, but that doesn't make him an Apostolic.  But, even if there was a Holy Ghost filled, Jesus Name baptized politician running, that doesn't necessarily mean that he'd be a good President.  People who are idiots before they get the Holy Ghost are still idiots afterwards;  they're just saved idiots.
Sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

titushome

Quote from: HolinessPK on July 11, 2008, 10:07:54 PM
Many guys have beards and mustaches, including the pastor and bishop.

:yikes:

You're kidding - beards and mustaches??!!!  And they would dare to even call themselves Christians....
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

BroTrey

* BroTrey passses through whistling trying his best to behave..
Please disregard this post as it's contents are probably in error.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Sis

I secretly think he thought being associated with a church would win him political points until the preacher started shooting off his mouth. Now he's goin' to some other church to make points. Don't put a lot of store in someone attending church because most of the polticians we hear really aren't fully true believers. Just another thing to try to win voters.

BenJammin

A while back, I decided to grow a mustache.  I liked it - as a matter of fact, almost everyone but my wife liked it.

In May, I went of Family Leave @ work due to the imminent birth of our son.  Due to my work schedule, I hadn't been able to attend church much for several months.  I showed up on Wednesday night after starting my leave and was standing in the foyer talking with a couple of the men when one lady showed up and asked me, "What is that on your lip?"

Well, ask a stupid question and I'll give a flippant remark.  I replied, "I was working around the house the other day, making a few repairs, when I punched a hole in the ceiling and some dust fell out, landed on my face, and now I can't wash it off and it seems to be growing." :hypocrite:

She looked at me incredulously and said, "Now you're not only going to hell for that mustache, but you're going to hell for lying, too!"

Of course, a lot of people simply rely on what they have been told for generations, NEVER stopping to look for themselves in the Bible to see if facial hair is forbidden (it's not).

BenJammin
"Small boys become big men through the influence of big men who care about small boys." ~Anonymous~

"Courage is not the absence of fear; rather the understanding that something else is more important than fear" ~Ambrose Redmoon~

Sis

Quote from: BenJammin on July 12, 2008, 03:07:49 PM
A while back, I decided to grow a mustache.  I liked it - as a matter of fact, almost everyone but my wife liked it.

:clap2:  :clap: For your wife!  I don't like facial hair. It DOES look ok on some, but as long as I don't have to hug or kiss it, that's fine with me.

I think the facial hair thing came about in the 60's because of the hippies being so rebellious and church folk weren't to look rebellious. That's no longer an issue, so I don't have a problem with it. 'Cept what I already said.

SippinTea

Quote from: titushome on July 11, 2008, 11:37:34 PM

You're kidding - beards and mustaches??!!!  And they would dare to even call themselves Christians....

*smothers a laugh*

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

yosemite

.?
My conscience is captive to the Word of God.Thus I cannot and will not recant, for going against my conscience is neither safe nor salutary. I can do no other, here i stand, God help me. Amen      -Martin Luther

dnr1128

Neither one.  Being Jews, they would have been circumcised at eight days old.  Paul had Timothy circumcised in Acts 16. 

A year or so ago I was working nights at work, so I was away from the bosses, so I let my beard grow out...when I went home I had a nice goatee..my wife loved it.  If it ever becomes acceptable in the UPCI or WPF, whatever I'm in, I'll be the first to become a fur-bearing Pentecostal. 
Sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

Melody

And then later Paul went on how circumcision is nothing and isn't necessary.  There is a time and a place to do or refrain for the sake of other(s).  But that is not all the time.  Some are simply sinning happily and blame others for it.  Some choose to be offended cause their carnality is pacified.

If Suzie wears sandles and Bob is lustful over her feet, who's fault is it?   Suzie is not going to stand before God and He tell her she'd make except she showed her toes/ankles around Bob.  No.  You can't give eternal life to anyone, nor can you rob them of it.  They freely recieve or deny it.  We should be careful not to offend and we should not be easily offended.  It amazes me that when you are trying your best to live for God and are in the Holy Ghost, you rarely are offended; what's that say about those who are so offended?  Because we war not against flesh and blood.  So Suzie cannot be the stumbling block for Bob, his lust is.  And I wish folks would stop trying to justify their flesh and just stinkin' overcome their own sins.  Cause we can do ALL things through Christ...  When we're doing that, every one is accountable, but there is Balance.  But if it's not in the Bible (ie: anti-facial hair) then it doesn't hold up as offending someone, they have sin they need to deal with.  On the same token, if it's not profitable, sin or not, why do it?  Recreation is profitable, art is profitable, fellowship is profitable, is facial hair?  I don't know.  My hubby would say yes.   :freaky2:

Who can separate us from God?  only ourselves.

dnr1128

If your brother has a firm conviction against something, I think that it is good to abstain from such thing while in his presence.  If you know about his conviction, and yet intentionally do it around him, that shows a problem in your heart.  Within reason, I think we should acomodate each others convictions. 

nicolejoy

Quote from: SippinTea on July 12, 2008, 08:29:19 PM
Quote from: titushome on July 11, 2008, 11:37:34 PM

*smothers a laugh*

:beret:

I know huh... they're actually choosing to be like Jesus in terms of their facial hair? Noooo - we can't have THAT!!

Facial hair in the UPC in Australia is a non issue. There are many ministers there with beards or goatees.

I find the whole thing pretty ridiculous ;)

OGIA

Quote from: dnr1128 on July 13, 2008, 04:51:17 AM
a problem in your heart.  

I can't judge another's heart.  However, sometimes the fruit they show make it blatantly obvious what their motive and thoughts are.  Example:  on the new EA site, a guy links to me right off the bat.  I don't know him and am not sure why he did.  I go visit his page and he's got a pic of himself in knee-length shorts and there is also an article he wrote defending it.  It's pretty obvious he's trying to "prove" something and get others to agree with him so he'll feel justified.  I feel the same about many who wear facial hair.  They get so stinking defensive about it.   :roll:

Are shorts and facial hair wrong?  Yes......WHEN the heart is corrupt, they are.  When does the heart get corrupt?  When we disobey the man (pastor) we've supposedly submitted ourselves to who asks his flock not to do these things, when we are out to prove a point to others who don't do and/or wear such things.....and the list can go on.

Within reason, I think we should acomodate each others convictions.

The best attitude and posts on this topic I've seen.  Thanks, dnr!!
And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one. Zechariah 14:9

Ignorance of the Identity of the One True God is not a valid reason to practice idolatry.

OGIA

Quote from: nicolejoy on July 13, 2008, 09:20:00 AM
I know huh... they're actually choosing to be like Jesus in terms of their facial hair? Noooo - we can't have THAT!!

You're kidding, right?  When's the last time you met a man with facial hair who was wearing it "to be like Jesus"??   :laughhard:
And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one. Zechariah 14:9

Ignorance of the Identity of the One True God is not a valid reason to practice idolatry.

newkris

i think whatever our opinion of obama is, he's going to be our next president.  he's making all sorts of history.  we will never know him as an individual man, but as the first black president. 

regardless of his depth of conviction in an apostolic sense, the church in the article is doing something to change their city.  they are practicing what Jesus commanded us to do as a church.

all my long hair and skirts won't change the crime in my city if i keep it in the four walls of the holy sanctuary.  a church that gets in the streets and changes a violent, crime infested neighborhood is going to please God more, regardless of what they are wearing. 

all that said, a president who wants to make changes to the things that are wrong in this country NEEDS to be connected to a church that is teaching fundamental principals.  he can make a HUGE difference to a generation of young men just learning how to be a father and a leader. 

i haven't decided to vote for him, but i am not sure i will vote against him, either.
\\\\\\\"i want to say more than words when i write\\\\\\\" - kent d. curry
me, too.

myspace.com\\\\\\\\krisknowshim
there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

yosemite

My conscience is captive to the Word of God.Thus I cannot and will not recant, for going against my conscience is neither safe nor salutary. I can do no other, here i stand, God help me. Amen      -Martin Luther

Newsman

I feel the need to (agreeably) disagree with our Lovely Lady Bapka, Newkris: Not only do I not think Sen Obama being elected is a foregone conclusion, but I think it's becoming, at the moment, anyway, DEcreasingly likely he will be elected.

I think his movement to the center in the last week or two, combined with some fairly obvious waffling, is hurting him with his base.

He's never going to get some conservative and even moderate votes, IMO, no matter how much courting he does. He MIGHT be able to hack off enough former Hillary supporters, or his own base with moving to the center, that they stay home election day.

Church-going visits in election years impress me not: if he starts regulalry attending an Apostoilic church, that would be great news.

In the case of Sen Obama and his former pastor Wright, I don't think you can sit under a pastor 20 years, make him your campaign's spiritual advisor, and yet have nothing to do with the basic tenets the man preaches.

YMMV

John  :waving:

dnr1128

If I were a betting man, I'd be putting money on Obama.  He's more than likely to be the next president.  Essentially this is a do-over of the 1996 election between Dole and Clinton;  a young, charasmatic dem versus an older, politically established war hero.  With his mantra of "change", whatever that means, Obama appeals to the current sentiment of frustration with politics in general.  Most people just don't have the critical thinking ability to ask "what kind of change are we talking about". 

There is more bible FOR facial hair than AGAINST it. But, that doesn't delete the principles of Christian liberty that Paul very clearly espoused.  Unfortunately, those in the fellowship who are more liberal tend to enjoy flaunting their "liberty" in the face of those who are more conservative, and expect the latter to merely tolerate them, even put up with the liberals ignoring the majority opinion in favor of their pet resolution.  I digress.  lol  The basic principle is this:  If my brother has a conviction that I don't share, I DO NOT have license to flaunt my liberty in his face.  God expects me to respect his conviction enough to temper my behavior and actions while in his presence.   

Chérie

Quote from: yosemite on July 12, 2008, 10:12:15 PM
facial hair is not wrong unless it offends someone, then it is wrong!! so i'll have to agree with holinesspk. wasnt it peter that had himself circumcised so that he would not offend or was it paul?

oh dear god - you just offended me. so are you going to go to hell now?
religion, tv, and media have powerful effects on the way people see the world. - maynard james keenan

Melody

maybe it depends on one's experience, which way they see the same coin.  I haven't yet met anyone who flaunts facial hair or shorts for that matter, not sure I know church folks personally that wear shorts though.

I have seen the opposite, lots of sinful, lustfulness being justified by the "I can't help it, so and so is causing me to stumble."  And then a ridiculous amount of "standards" so that others are 'protected from temptation.'   :roll:  Since when does some one else CAUSE us to sin?  When did sin stop being a choice and become a forced action by outside influence, reguardless of the fact that we have the very Spirit of Him that overcame sin?

I agree, to be mannered, considerate of other's beliefs, but my point was and always will be -balance.  Otherwise our salvation turns into accomodating others instead of pleasing God.

Chérie

exactly mellowyellow. and instead of truly being happy in this life, we find ourselves miserable, because we are constantly living other people's ideals instead of our own god given desires.
religion, tv, and media have powerful effects on the way people see the world. - maynard james keenan

yosemite