News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

Hollywood Villifies Muslims?

Started by bishopnl, May 01, 2008, 04:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bishopnl

Quote from: Chérie on May 02, 2008, 04:50:11 PM

Hmmm... and I guess by "Many Others" you mean me.

:grin:

I love that you don't even know me yet jump to conclusions about my "internal problems"?

Well, since you said you haven't seen King Kong, I'll give you a pass. ;)  Although I'll rope you in under "people who make uninformed judgement calls about things they are unfamiliar with."

uh....which brings me to your second statement.  If you can jump to conclusions about movies you haven't seen, I can jump to conclusions about people I haven't met. ;)
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~
- Mark Twain, a Biography

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

- James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

drummr

One thing is certain; human beings are complex emotional, intellectual
and spiritual beings.  We have views ranging from extraordinary to the
truly bizarre.  What am I saying here??  I have absolutely no clue.

The political correctness of our current time, while perhaps well intentioned,
appears to have actually exacerbated the problems it was attempting to solve.

I find myself conflicted on issues of racism.  While I do believe that racism exists and
that opportunity is more fleeting for certain ethnic groups, I do not believe that the
answer lies in the direction we seem to be going.  Racism is a two edged sword, but
it is treated as if only the majority is racist. 

I believe the answer is to seek true equality, where a person is judged by merit rather
than ethnic origin.  I believe all people who wish to participate in our democracy should
embrace this concept.  Sound like Star Trek?  Don't I wish.
"Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:"
1 Peter 1:22

Tsalagi

Quote from: Chérie on May 01, 2008, 06:26:30 PM
No, I'm not.

I think its a great analogy.

A big black ape from the jungles of Africa stealing away a white woman - its was every white mans fear in the 1930s.

There is alot of symbolism in that movie. Check out this article.

http://www.ejumpcut.org/archive/onlinessays/JC06folder/KingKong.html

*snerk*
    V
     :lol:

*snort*
     V
     :biglaugh:

WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!
     V
     :laughhard:

heeeeeeeeeeee......

Thanks.  I needed that.

*snicker*

QuoteOf course you don't. Hello? You were born in what 82, 83? You're a white man (I don't mean that in a condescending way either ) who never had to live in a society that demeans you because of your skin color, you've never been sent to the back of the bus, you never had to drink from a separate water fountain. Yes, its disturbing. Its disturbing that up until the 1960's with Sydney Poiter there was never any major roles for the black man. Why was that?

Can I ask you a question about the 1930s version? Were there any black people anywhere in the movie? In the background trying to escape? Anything at all?

I know this was to Nate, but I gotta jump in here:

Honestly?  Those battles had their day, but this is a new day, with new people.  Anything that happened before I became accountable for my own actions ain't my responsibility. 

Sure, I read the history books.  I also make up my own mind about those history books and the people who wrote them.

I also understand that Hollywood has always been a propaganda machine, and that movies can be made for other reasons than to simply reflect the viewpoints of the time.