Main Menu

Value of a dollar.

Started by M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ, September 21, 2007, 04:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Loonie reaches parity with U.S. dollar
CanWest News Service
Published: Thursday, September 20, 2007

TORONTO — The Canadian dollar rose as high as $1.0001 cents US just before 11 a.m. on Thursday, something that hasn't happened since Nov. 25, 1976.

The dollar ultimately fell back a few hundredths of a cent. It was trading at around 99.85 cents at 11:15 a.m.

The greenback sunk to a record low against the euro, a signal of the U.S. currency's weakness around the world. Gold hit a record high of US$730.25 an ounce, also due to weakness in the U.S. dollar. Gold is bought and sold in U.S. dollars, so a weaker dollar makes bullion cheaper for foreign investors.

One cause of the greenback's drop appears to be concern over remarks by Ben Bernanke, chairman of the U.S. Federal Reserve, in an address a U.S. congressional committee on Thursday morning.

In a prepared text of his remarks made available on the U.S. Federal Reserve website, Bernanke said that subprime mortgage losses have triggered uncertainty in broader financial markets, raising concern about the consequences for economic activity.

The U.S. Fed cut its benchmark federal funds rate by 50 basis points on Tuesday to 4.75 per cent to help forestall some of the adverse effects on the broader economy that might arise from subprime crisis, Bernanke's prepared remarks state.

"Recent developments in financial markets have increased the uncertainty surrounding the economic outlook," the prepared text states. "The committee will continue to assess the effects of these and other developments on economic prospects and will act as needed to foster price stability and sustainable economic growth."

The dollar opened the week at $0.97 US and shot up almost three cents versus the greenback, a rise economists attribute to surging commodity prices, especially for oil.

"This gravitational pull towards parity has really picked up some steam this morning," said Jack Spitz, director of foreign exchange at National Bank, in a phone interview. "From a day trading perspective, sure, (parity) is in the cards."

One of the factors affecting how high the dollar rises is the market's expectation of what the Bank of Canada will do at its monetary policy meeting in October, Spitz said. The loonie is already above the central bank's own target level, he added.
© Financial Post 2007

Source
Bloomberg article

This is the weakest the U.S. dollar has been against the Canadian dollar in 30 years.

The U.S. dollar is really hurting internationally. It now takes $1.40 to get 1.00€.

I get paid in U.S. $, but I pay my rent in €. When I moved into this house in April 2000, Germany was using the DM and the exchange rate was 2DM - $1. My rent was 1,400DM, or $700 per month. My landlord has never raised may rent in these 7 years, but, in terms of dollars, my rent has almost doubled. I am now paying 950€ or $1,330 per month.

For five years I have watched the value of the dollar steadily drop. Who's been in charge of the U.S. for the past five years?
Move along, nothing to see here.

Sis

Quotea signal of the U.S. currency's weakness around the world.

Then why are all those illegal aliens sending money home to their countries?   :laughhard:

Raecheal

Woohooo! lol - I changed my money over to American for General Conference.. lol - I'm loving it being on par.

dnr1128

If FDR hadn't taken us off the gold standard, we might not be in this problem. 
Sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

nicolejoy

The Australian dollar is now at a 23 year high, thanks to how low the American dollar is!! When I went to the US in around 2000ish, we were at a 20 year low or something, and one Australian dollar bought $0.45 - $0.50. Now it buys $0.90 - DOUBLE what it bought just 7 years ago!! It's great for Australians!!

Sis

I have a feeling certain politicals who are trying to divide our country may be responsible for the lack of dollar value.

bishopnl

Quote from: M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ on September 21, 2007, 04:35:27 AM
For five years I have watched the value of the dollar steadily drop. Who's been in charge of the U.S. for the past five years?

If that's an attempted shot at Bush, then you aren't really up to date on how the economy works.

It's funny how everytime someone can point to a negative trend that has taken place sometime within the last seven years, they always link it to Bush. 

~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~
- Mark Twain, a Biography

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

- James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

nicolejoy

Yeah, the economy in Australia is great, but we still have a moron for a prime minister ;)

bishopnl

QuoteYeah, the economy in Australia is great, but we still have a moron for a prime minister

Precisely.  Not that your prime minister is a moron (maybe he is, I dunno) but the value of currency isn't some kind of measuring stick for the efficiency of a President or Prime minister.  Especially here in the States where the Fed has more power over the economy than policy makers do.
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

nicolejoy

Plus - I think that just about the ONLY reason why the economy in Australia is good is that the economy in the US is SOOOOOO bad - if it wasn't for that, we'd be just about "same old same old".

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: bishopnl on October 09, 2007, 09:39:32 PMIf that's an attempted shot at Bush, then you aren't really up to date on how the economy works.
It's a question.

jdcord

Quote from: M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ on October 11, 2007, 04:11:51 AM
It's a question.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
rhetorical question
–noun
a question asked solely to produce an effect or to make an assertion and not to elicit a reply, as "What is so rare as a day in June?"

Yours was a rhetorical question, which as the definition above shows are always made with a specific, predetermined, and deliberate insinuation (assertion) in mind. 

So what was yours?

:grin:

Wanda:   Two wrongs don't make a right.
Cosmo:   But three rights make a left,...

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: jdcord on October 11, 2007, 10:07:26 AMYours was a rhetorical question, which as the definition above shows are always made with a specific, predetermined, and deliberate insinuation (assertion) in mind. 

So what was yours?
Any "specific, predetermined, and deliberate insinuation" is simply the assumption of the reader.

Sis

Quote from: M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ on October 11, 2007, 03:00:03 PM
Quote from: jdcord on October 11, 2007, 10:07:26 AMYours was a rhetorical question, which as the definition above shows are always made with a specific, predetermined, and deliberate insinuation (assertion) in mind. 

So what was yours?
Any "specific, predetermined, and deliberate insinuation" is simply the assumption of the reader.

:laughhard:

jdcord

So Michael,

Are you saying that yours was NOT a rhetorical question?  ..... that you actually have no idea who the president of the U.S. has been for the last 5 years??  ..... that you - who are active duty military - have no clue who your own "Commander in Chief" has been for the last five years??

Because otherwise, your question was rhetorical, which means that you made it solely to "produce an effect or to make an assertion".  ....... so, barring your being a complete ignoramus (in charge of million-dollar deadly equipment, no less), what was your intended assertion?    (which, BTW, is also a rhetorical question.   ;)  )

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

^ Is Bush the sole person in charge?

jdcord

Quote from: M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ on October 12, 2007, 11:46:14 PM
^ Is Bush the sole person in charge?

Aha!      So you think it's all the fault of the Republicans as a whole, then!

........ but how can that be seeing as Congress has been in the hands of the Democrats for the last year?  Shouldn't the Democrats, then, have some blame in this as well?

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: jdcord on October 12, 2007, 11:55:58 PMAha!      So you think it's all the fault of the Republicans as a whole, then!
Has in been only Republicans in charge for the past five years?

jdcord

Quote from: M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ on October 13, 2007, 08:33:08 AM
Has in been only Republicans in charge for the past five years?

I don't know.  Has it?

*L*

jdcord

* Bump *

I wonder, ........   :eyebrow:   ..... since last October, has the value of the dollar gone up?, or has it gone down?  And whatever it has done, what mysterious person or persons is really "in charge"?, and are they really and truly the ones who are responsible for that difference in the value of the dollar?

Chérie

jd, do you think that funding a war has not taken toll on our economy?
religion, tv, and media have powerful effects on the way people see the world. - maynard james keenan

bishopnl

Quote from: Chérie on April 04, 2008, 03:44:06 PM
jd, do you think that funding a war has not taken toll on our economy?

Danielle,

There's a certain amount of substative proof that funding a war actually boosts an economy.  Just look at WWII. 

I doubt that any economist out there would argue that the war is the reason for the "devaluing" of the dollar.

Here is an article from ABC about the weak dollar.  It also includes the fact that a weak dollar, while certaintly having a lot of negative effects, can have some positive benefits too. 

Chérie

Quote from: bishopnl on April 04, 2008, 04:12:25 PM
There's a certain amount of substative proof that funding a war actually boosts an economy.  Just look at WWII. 

I am aware of that Nate. There is a slight difference in WWII  and Desert Storm II. With the second World War, there was an end in sight. 

religion, tv, and media have powerful effects on the way people see the world. - maynard james keenan

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: jdcord on April 04, 2008, 07:12:06 AM..... since last October, has the value of the dollar gone up?, or has it gone down? 
The value of the dollar against the Euro has gone down.  In the past month alone, the dollar set record lows eight times.

bishopnl

Quote from: Chérie on April 04, 2008, 04:17:58 PM
Quote from: bishopnl on April 04, 2008, 04:12:25 PM

I am aware of that Nate. There is a slight difference in WWII  and Desert Storm II. With the second World War, there was an end in sight. 

First, it depends on what point of WWII you were talking about.  There wasn't always an "end in sight" in that war either.  Prior to Hiroshima/Nagasaki, there was no indication that Japan was going to accept the terms of the Potsdam declaration, and they had given every indication that they would fight to the last man.

Either way, it doesn't negate positive economic benefits during wartime.  Jobs are created and certain businesses grow during war time. 

I've yet to see one economist declaring that the war is the cause for the deflation of the dollar.