News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice? -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Where does the Bible talk about...?

Started by Lynx, December 15, 2012, 06:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

If you know the Bible says something, you're trying to remember where, but you can't pin it down and a search program is no help, this is your thread. 
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Lynx

Yes, I have an ulterior motive for starting this thread.  I was sure the Bible said somewhere, in one of the prophecy books (Micah?  Nahum?) that Egypt would never again be a major player in world politics, that it would never rule over other nations.  I can't find it anywhere now.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Melody

I don't see it at a few short searches.  Is Egypt called something else?  Does it only allude to not ruling over nations or clearly state it?

Zec 10:11   And he shall pass through the sea with affliction, and shall smite the waves in the sea, and all the deeps of the river shall dry up: and the pride of Assyria shall be brought down, and the sceptre of Egypt shall depart away.

???

Lynx

I have all those questions too.  I can't remember anything specific about the verse - key words I could search for, specific book of the Bible, anything - all I remember is thinking it was remarkable that God would tell Egypt it would never again rule over other nations.
"Do you sing at church?"

onli-one-jehovi

Speaking of the last days just before the return of the LORD:

Joel 3:19 & Ezekiel 32:15 are a couple of places.

Just go to Bluebible.com and type in "egypt". Scroll through for the verses that apply to your topic.

Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Young man, how is it that you do not?

MelodyB

Where does the Bible say that if there was only one sinner, Jesus would have still come and died for just the one?

People say this all the time, both apostolic people and other type Christian folks. Plus I've heard it in songs as well. But I don't think I have ever heard an actual verse to back it up.

Where is it?
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Lynx

There is none of which I'm aware.  But I don't think I've ever heard someone say it as a bible verse.  I have heard it many times from the pulpit, but they never claimed it was in the Bible.
"Do you sing at church?"

MelodyB

Then where do they get it from? I guess the next time I hear it from a preacher I need to go ask him, but why would all those people say that if there isn't a scripture for it?

Lynx

It's not necessarily false.  The Bible doesn't say anything about fried chicken being good either, but it sure is.
"Do you sing at church?"

sunlight

The bible does talk about leaving the 99, and going after the one lost sheep though...
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

Lynx

Hmmm... good point. 

Playing DA though, it doesn't mention anything about the shepherd would still be a shepherd if he had only one sheep. 
"Do you sing at church?"

sunlight

There is the parable of the lost sheep, the lost coin, and the lost son... :grin:
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

Melody

Quote from: sunlight on January 31, 2013, 05:06:43 PM
There is the parable of the lost sheep, the lost coin, and the lost son... :grin:

:thumbsup2:

To say that He want's NONE to perish covers the fact that even if it was only one, He doesn't want them to perish but have everlasting life.  Whether it's one or a thousand.  None.

The book of Hosea tells us God cares about His one bride.  Though we're many that make up the one, it's also personal.  He doesn't go get someone else, or choose to live alone.  He makes every effort to retain that one relationship.

I also find the principal in the story of Sodom and Gom.  God said he wouldn't destroy the cities if there were 10 good men there.  There weren't but he saved the 4 (3).  So I see that God's judgment does not hinder God's salvation.  No matter how many people go against God, His salvation is for even the few, EVEN if it had just been Lot.  He made sure to make a way for even the "undecided" to have the chance. 

So while off the top of my head, I can't find a specific statement in scripture, I see the truth declared loud in so many actions of God. 

Years ago, and I think I told you all then about it. During family devotion, we were discussing calvary.  Andrew was 9/10 and tears welled up in his eyes as he asked rhetorically, "So He chose to still die on the cross for me, even if I didn't choose Him." 

If the Bible is true, then He died for us while we were yet sinners.  So pretty much Jesus died for us even if NO ONE chose Him.  He still put it out there, He still gave us a chance and a hope.  He still gave it all for love.  Perhaps everyone could still end up choosing hell.  We would be without excuse.  Luckily, we have prophesy to know that there are some who choose to love Him back! 

I almost feel like the question isn't really the question?  Is it really, "Would Jesus have come to die for just one?"  But rather, it's answered by answering the question, "Why did Jesus come to die?"  If it's not dependent on how many take Him up on His offer, then we see love doesn't care the number or the self sacrifice when it comes to hope.  Love hopes all things. 

Did Jesus know who all would be saved in the end?  I don't think it's relevant, I don't think a number swayed Him.  It was the purpose of it, it was the hope it was bringing. It was that He was setting things right, He was restoring, making the journey over that bridge possible. No one could make it on their own if they wanted to. 

I can't accept anything less than Yes. Jesus died for me even if I don't choose Him.  He gave me the opportunity.  Whether I choose it or not just reveals whether I want truth or not, what/who I really love more.

MelodyB

Ok thanks. That was good, and it helped me understand a bit more. :)

I just thought they must have had an actual scripture that I couldn't find. Lol