News:

Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Cities of Refuge

Started by World Traveler, August 18, 2009, 01:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

World Traveler

A question popped into my head the other day during a sermon. Maybe one of you theologians could help me with it.

If a person accidently killed someone he could flee to a city of refuge and be safe from the revenger of blood as long as he stayed in the city. A well know example is Abner who slayed Joab's brother.

My question. If you had to flee to a city of refuge and there accidently kill someone. Where do you go? Are you still protected there?
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

Scott

Quote from: World Traveler on August 18, 2009, 01:39:28 AM
A question popped into my head the other day during a sermon. Maybe one of you theologians could help me with it.

If a person accidently killed someone he could flee to a city of refuge and be safe from the revenger of blood as long as he stayed in the city. A well know example is Abner who slayed Joab's brother.

My question. If you had to flee to a city of refuge and there accidently kill someone. Where do you go? Are you still protected there?

I think the answer is obvious - you go to another city of refuge.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Elfin

I'd say you have a pretty bad track record and I'd be pretty suspicious that it was "accidental"...kind of like that Drew Peterson guy with the 4 missing/dead wives.
~
~~
~~~
Renée

World Traveler

Scott,
I used Abner as an example. Abner had someone waiting outside the city to kill him. So, using him as an example, leaving wouldn't have been an option.

I think there might be a correlation here if we consider the cities of refuge to be a type of our salvation experience through Christ. If you blow it (again) once you are under the blood, take advantage of what you have been given and don't go looking for another city, another salvation.

I think the fact the scenario I brought up was never addressed in the Bible says a lot about the power of the cities of refuge to protect and keep safe just as Jesus is greater than all of our faults and can keep us safe and protected.

Stay in the city and work it out. Stay in Christ and work it out. The only safety is in the city, in Jesus.

It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

Scott

Quote from: World Traveler on August 19, 2009, 12:41:00 AM
Scott,
I used Abner as an example. Abner had someone waiting outside the city to kill him. So, using him as an example, leaving wouldn't have been an option.

I think there might be a correlation here if we consider the cities of refuge to be a type of our salvation experience through Christ. If you blow it (again) once you are under the blood, take advantage of what you have been given and don't go looking for another city, another salvation.

I think the fact the scenario I brought up was never addressed in the Bible says a lot about the power of the cities of refuge to protect and keep safe just as Jesus is greater than all of our faults and can keep us safe and protected.

Stay in the city and work it out. Stay in Christ and work it out. The only safety is in the city, in Jesus.

Do you really think the avenger was going to sit out side the city for up to 50 years? 

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

World Traveler

Himself? No. But anyone who wants something bad enough has ways to get what they want. I am sure he would have contacts that let him know activity, others that feel the same way he does, others that help him watch out for his interests.
If he was there in person or not, I bet he would know as soon as his target was available.

It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Scott

Remember getting to the city was half the fun, if you were able to get to one, why not another.

The Never Ending Battle

BroTrey

If you were already in a City of Refuge and accidentally killed someone, you would have to flee to another.....though it is not specifically said in the Bible, but it was mantained that way in Jewish culture...

On a side note, as someone else mentioned, if you had to flee to that city and then killed another while there, there would be cause to toss you to the avenger as there is a good chance that neither were accidental...
Please disregard this post as it's contents are probably in error.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Paul Smith

Of course there is always the retort, "The devil made me do it."

About Abner; as I remember the story Joab went inside the city and there pretended to make peace with Abner then invited Abner to walk outside the gates of the city to talk. A moral of the story? Don't give any place to the sworn enemy of your soul. On God's ground he can do nothing - on his ground he has all the advantage.