News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

Brotherhood

Started by titushome, April 17, 2009, 07:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

titushome

I have just one question for this thread, for which I would like an answer from anyone who cares to discuss: who is my brother?  More specifically, what is the Biblical standard by which we ought to recognize another person as a fellow child of God?

And for once, I'm not going to argue, with anyone.  I'm just going to listen.  :D
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

OGIA

I'd say it's anyone who has the same Dad (Jesus Christ) and Mom (the Church, the Body of Christ) as you do.     :grin:

And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one. Zechariah 14:9

Ignorance of the Identity of the One True God is not a valid reason to practice idolatry.

Scott

My Brother died when I was 18 and he was 30. I've always wanted another brother - he paid for my drivers license, always gave me money for camp, youth trips and dates.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

CDAGeek

Quote from: Scott on April 17, 2009, 10:23:14 PM
he paid for my drivers license, always gave me money for camp, youth trips and dates.

You know, it's remarks like that that make me wish I hadn't been an only child.

Scott

Quote from: CDAGeek on April 17, 2009, 11:26:05 PM
Quote from: Scott on April 17, 2009, 10:23:14 PM
he paid for my drivers license, always gave me money for camp, youth trips and dates.

You know, it's remarks like that that make me wish I hadn't been an only child.

He was 12 years older than me, my dad had him about 8 years before he and my mom met.  My dad's mother helped raise him and he lived with us for a few years.  He really enjoyed being a big brother, we fought and argued but he liked have the baby brother around. I was the only one allowed to drive his car, dad was not even allowed.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Gingerale

I have wondered the same thing. who is my sister?  Scott! That's why I love having 4 brothers!

Backseat Radio

Spiritually speaking my brothers and sisters are anyone who has believed that Jesus died and rose again, has confessed that Jesus is the Son of God, has repented, and has been baptized by immersion in water for the remission of sins.

Raven180

Mark 3:32-35,

Quote32. And the multitude sat about him, and they said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee.
33. And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren?
34. And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
35. For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.
Luke 12:24,

24. Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them...

titushome

Quote from: OGIA on April 17, 2009, 08:28:09 PM
I'd say it's anyone who has the same Dad (Jesus Christ) and Mom (the Church, the Body of Christ) as you do.     :grin:

I agree.  So how do we recognize them?

We could perhaps look to the words of Jesus quoted by Raven:

Quote from: Raven180 on April 21, 2009, 05:11:07 PM
35. For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

OGIA

Quote from: titushome on April 30, 2009, 12:20:42 AM

Yep.  And I'd say that those who "do the will of God" in this context would be recognized as those who have obeyed the covenant requirements (John 3:3,5; Acts 2:38) of being born again (that is, born of God) .   :grin:

And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one. Zechariah 14:9

Ignorance of the Identity of the One True God is not a valid reason to practice idolatry.

Melody

I think the Spirit bears witness.  I don't think there is much nitpicking worthwhile to try and pinpoint how to recognize them visually.  And I don't know that it's often very important.  There are some times in which you need reliable council.  But for the most part I think even if they are not your "brother/sister" they are still your "neighbor" and thus your fruit should be the same if not more. 

Even within the "walls of the church" we must be aware that there will be tares amongst the wheat.  So be sensitive as who to be vulnerable to maybe but other than that, be a friend to all.  Honest and no drama.  I think their reaction to you is telling enough.

bishopnl

Quote from: OGIA on April 30, 2009, 02:29:31 AM

Yep.  And I'd say that those who "do the will of God" in this context would be recognized as those who have obeyed the covenant requirements (John 3:3,5; Acts 2:38) of being born again (that is, born of God) .   :grin:

So as long as a person has repented, been baptized in Jesus name, and received the Holy Ghost, you'd consider them a brother?

I'd be inclined to agree with you, but I've got a lot of questions!  ;)
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~
- Mark Twain, a Biography

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

- James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

Raven180

Of course, we recall that Ananias called Saul, "Brother Saul" before he was baptized, and before he received the Holy Spirit.

Acts 9:17,

QuoteAnd Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.

Acts 22:13,

QuoteCame unto me, and stood, and said unto me, Brother Saul, receive thy sight. And the same hour I looked up upon him.

The Greek word for "brother" in these passages is adelphos, and it has these six basic meanings:

1) a brother, whether born of the same two parents or only of the same father or mother

2) having the same national ancestor, belonging to the same people, or countryman

3) any fellow or man

4) a fellow believer, united to another by the bond of affection

5) an associate in employment or office

6) brethren in Christ

So the question becomes, which of the six above definitions (or combinations thereof) of adelphos should we understand to be the correct one?

24. Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them...

Scott

I read recently that there is a difference between a brother and a friend.  (Aside from blood relationship)  To be a ''spiritual brother'' you need to be of the same spirit and ''blood''.  Thus my brother is he who has been buried in the name of Jesus and filled with his spirit. My friend can be anyone.

The Never Ending Battle

OGIA

Quote from: bishopnl on April 30, 2009, 04:05:38 PM
Quote from: OGIA on April 30, 2009, 02:29:31 AM

So as long as a person has repented, been baptized in Jesus name, and received the Holy Ghost, you'd consider them a brother?

Yes sir.   :grin:

Brother Dad

Anyone born again according to Acts 2:38.  And seeking and following after God's will. 
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

titushome

Quote from: bishopnl on April 30, 2009, 04:05:38 PM

I'd be inclined to agree with you, but I've got a lot of questions!  ;)

Such as....?
- Augustine

bishopnl

;)

If you are that curious, you can pm me.
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~
- Mark Twain, a Biography

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

- James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

Raven180

So, if OGIA or Bro Dad, if either of you, (or anyone else) could somehow travel back in time to Damascus, to the street called Straight, and fulfill Ananias's mission as given to him by Christ in Acts 9, would you have called Saul, "Brother Saul", seeing as how he had not yet met the covenantal requirements, i.e. hadn't obeyed Acts 2:38?

Scott

Quote from: Raven180 on May 07, 2009, 10:42:13 PM
So, if OGIA or Bro Dad, if either of you, (or anyone else) could somehow travel back in time to Damascus, to the street called Straight, and fulfill Ananias's mission as given to him by Christ in Acts 9, would you have called Saul, "Brother Saul", seeing as how he had not yet met the covenantal requirements, i.e. hadn't obeyed Acts 2:38?

Since time travel is impossible, the question is purely argumentative semantics. However since both Paul and Ananias were Jewish, and Paul was a Rabbi,  calling ''brother'' may have been nothing more than an honorific - similar to how one would speak to one of the Benedictine monks that live in my area.

Another possibility is the Ananias was faith talking.  Saul was knocked to the ground and blinded - then sent by God to Ananias who was ordered by God to pray for him.  When I pray with someone in the Altar, I always call them my brother or sister - it helps build a point of faith.

The key to remember is that in life we have far more friends that siblings. I have several friends that are like brothers to me, in fact we consider each other brothers.  One of my brothers is 5 inches taller and of a different race - it really flips out people when I  introduce my little brother  :freaky2: .

Malcom X made this statement

"I believe in the brotherhood of man, all men, but I don't believe in brotherhood with anybody who doesn't want brotherhood with me.''

Yes he was a militant man, but there is a point in what he is saying.  To be my brother, you need to be in my family, my family has a name applied to it.

The Never Ending Battle

Raven180

For clarification, I ask only for a better understanding of where people are coming from, who they are, and what they think (i.e. would they, wouldn't they?) and not to create an argument about the merits of whether someone should or should not call someone a "brother". Whatever the answer, I wouldn't accuse (or argue with) either OGIA, Bro. Dad, or anyone whatever their answer or stance.

In a previous post, I showed the different possible ways to understand or define "brother" according to the Greek, admitting that the way in which Ananias used it may only have meant that Ananias was referring to Saul as a compatriot or fellow Jew, and not necessarily as a spiritual brother in the Lord. Like you stated, it may have been something of a faith-building statement.

But then again, maybe Ananias meant it as a spiritual brother in the Lord. If so, the question has validity (not necessarily the time travel part) but as a way for us to understand who is our brother and how to answer Titus' original post question according to the Biblical account in Acts 9.

Raven180

Quote from: Raven180 on May 07, 2009, 10:42:13 PM

For more clarification, I would have called Saul "Brother Saul" had I somehow had the ability to be in Ananias' shoes and fulfill that mission.

Furthermore, just to put all the cards on the table, I believe that in order for someone to be a spiritual brother in the Lord, as in someone being a fellow child of God and therefore my brother by Spirit adoption, in this life, that they, as I quoted Jesus before, must do the will of God. For me, the will of God, in terms of salvation, includes:

Faith and confession that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God (toward the purpose of actually being born from above and not just as a mental agreement that doesn't effect a person's salvation).
Belief in the Gospel (i.e. believing that Jesus Christ died for our sins, was buried, and that the third day He rose again according to the Scriptures)
Obedience to the same Gospel (i.e. repentance from all sin, burial into Christ's death by baptism in the name of Jesus Christ, and resurrection into newness of life by the in-filling of the Holy Spirit, as outlined in Acts 2:38)
Making active and consistent faith-based attempts (i.e. relying on the Holy Spirit) to grow in grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ as unto a perfect (wo)man, which includes holiness/sanctification, faithfulness and submission to God, the Word, and His Church, etc.

So, hopefully, by anunciating these things, it can be seen that I'm not looking for an argument, nor are my beliefs inconsistent with Apostolic Faith in the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ as defined by Scripture. I'm not even trying to play "devil's advocate". I sincerely wanted to know people's view of Ananias calling Saul "brother" according to the context of the post.

I apologize if my post lended itself toward cyncism of my motives. :)

Brother Dad

For the sake of clarification, if I lived in Paul's time and was Jew yes I would say Brother.  Also let me possibly stir something up here.  In todays time I would call a man Brother if he has truly repented and been baptized in the name Of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins but has not yet received the Holt Ghost.  Why, because the only part a man can do is repent get baptized, worship and live for God.  It is God that will give them the Holy Ghost. 

However if we wanted to look at even true repentance we could be open to say Brother in our modern way of thinking.  For instance when a woman has a child and then is expecting a son, we refer to the unborn, but conceived child as the brother.  Not trying to sound confusing here but trying to give some variations of a question. 

I do not however refer to people of different doctrines as Brother or Sister in the sense as in the Church.  Because they have a different father and mother.  But would feel comfortable referring to a true repented believer as Brother even before the new birth is complete.  The true Word of God must be conceived in their heart in order to bring about true salvation.   
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

OGIA

I've heard numerous reasons why Paul was called "brother" in that situation.  I lean to the one about Ananias speaking in faith, although the Jewish link certainly has much merit. But to answer your question...........

Acts 9:15-16 --  "Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name's sake."

The bottom line is that if the Lord had said that to me after I had tried to argue with Him Moses-style, then I don't think I would have been worried about calling an unborn-again person a "brother".  And that's why I lean to Ananias calling Paul "brother" being something spoken in faith, because the Lord told Ananias of something that was to be and he took the Lord at His word.  That is faith.

The problem is I've never had the Lord tell me that He was going to "save" someone I am witnessing to.  So, I don't have the faith to call them brother or sister.  I just leave that until they have obeyed the Gospel and are born of God.    :grin:

Scott

I still stand on this, my brother are few, my friends many.

The Never Ending Battle