News:

The staff of Godplace.com welcomes you to our little house of fun. If you have a spiritual need, feel free to  contact any staff member.

Main Menu

Cheese! I have more chicken questions!

Started by sunlight, March 29, 2014, 01:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunlight

How far can chickens fly?
How tall are the fences? Or do they have top fences?
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

sunlight

Too bad I can't tag Seth... Lol.

What is more important.... More room for roosting per hen, or more room for scratching around/ running around?
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

Chseeads

Sorry I didn't notice this till now, Chel dear.

Been chaotic.

How far and well they can fly depends on the breed.  Lighter bodied breeds (which are more often white egg laying breeds, not always but more often the case) tend to be better fliers.  Individual personality can also play into that.  Two birds of the same breed may act different - one may press its boundaries and try to fly up on things and get out, one may not bother. 

Part of my large fenced off areas have a 6 foot fence, and part have a 5 foot fence.  5 works pretty much as well at keeping them in as 6.  And 4 might even for the most part....  A lot of the time, if a chicken is going to fly out of a fence, it will want to be able to fly up onto something, and then fly down to the other side, instead of just taking a flying leap from one side to the other without stopping.  They can do that, but usually it's the former. 

If the pen is not going to be terribly large, having a wire top on it would be beneficial in keeping out predators as well. 

The Purple Fuzzy

Chseeads

Quote from: sunlight on April 06, 2014, 02:54:57 AM
Too bad I can't tag Seth... Lol.

What is more important.... More room for roosting per hen, or more room for scratching around/ running around?

More room for scratching and running around.  They may jostle a bit for roosting position, but they will snuggle up next to each other to roost and don't really have to have a huge amount of space for that.  They'll spend their waking hours on the prowl so more room for that is good.

Lynx

Quote from: The Purple Fuzzy on April 06, 2014, 03:43:03 AM
Like that bald eagle ;)
Yeah, about that... my brain automatically rang up "One flew over the cuckoo's nest."   :biglaugh:
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Roscoe

Quote from: Psalm_97 on April 06, 2014, 11:13:23 AM
Quote from: The Purple Fuzzy on April 06, 2014, 03:43:03 AM
Like that bald eagle ;)
Yeah, about that... my brain automatically rang up "One flew over the cuckoo's nest."   :biglaugh:
Only correct if it were flying over Seth's house, Isaac. :P
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison