Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Whats your favorite....

Started by BroTrey, December 13, 2013, 03:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BroTrey

audio codec?

PCM, FLAC, MP3, AMR and OGG? 
I'm very fond of OGG, but also have some MP3s...anyone use any of the others?

Yeah, so my first new topic in years...and its a tech one....go figure.  :cd:
Please disregard this post as it's contents are probably in error.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

The Purple Fuzzy

I'm sure Isaac will be in soon to chime in. I'm clueless.

taco_harvell

I like OGG but use more MP3 for compatibility.
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

Roscoe

My first dealings with OGG and conversion had me hating it....MP3 is about the only way I roll. Unless I'm using my phone to record something. It sets up as  AMR...I'm decidedly low tech and easily confused, so I don't mess with them much. :lol:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Scott

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Lynx

For long term storage in pure quality, FLAC.  It is much more forgiving of frame errors, where .ape will refuse to deal with the file if one frame is out of kilter. 

For a small copy I can take with me on my phone, ogg vorbis.  You can get a much smaller file size that still sounds good.

For sending a song to other people, .wma.  Audio quality is okay, and it doesn't have that blip of silence that .mp3 has.  It still has a small blip, but normal people won't even notice it. And almost everything, almost every media player program and mp3 player, will play .wma files.

And Bro. Bobby only hates .ogg because he got a copy of my music collection as .ogg and didn't know what to do with it.  WiMP (Windows Media Player) won't play .ogg, and many people don't even know there are other players out there.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

BroTrey

meh, I'd rather fight the learning curve and teach someone about ogg that use wma.  This training would also include the value of open formats and open software.... thats just how I roll.  The only time I deal with mp3 is on the church computer or when buying from General Conference or what not.  All the podcasts I listen to are in OGG format.

The main reason I asked is because there is an opensource software that I'm looking into for our church, that uses the formats listed in my first post.  When I fork the project to make it more suggestible for my needs, I am considering removing some of the supports, to conserve size of code.

One person I asked the question they said 'like CDA on my CDs?"  :pound:
Please disregard this post as it's contents are probably in error.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Lynx

I would rather do that too, but most people just want to play a song and have it play, not have to learn about codecs and different programs.

But for the stated purpose I would say mp3, wma, wav and ogg would cover all the normal bases.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: