News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Ask Psalm_97

Started by Tricia Lea, February 18, 2011, 11:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tricia Lea

When dog food is new and improved tasting, who tests it?

Lynx

That's one thing I'm a bit >.> about myself.  "This dog food is chewy and beefy tasting!"  How does the announcer know?  I guarantee you the dog didn't tell him. 

Ask me anything about media players (mp3 players to most of you), chocolate, sourdough bread, what program you can get to do (insert job here) (for free), or what singing groups are good in (insert style here.)  Any other questions I'll try to answer, but probably won't be able to answer well... I have two mutts, but I never did have a friend who did dog food commercials.  :P
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Roscoe

Ok music man- I tend to like the Hinsons, Crabb Family and Mike Bowling in my music taste. Keeping this in mind, what other groups or artists would you recommend? * Note- I absolutly hate choir music, so PLEASE don't direct me in that direction at all. :laughhard:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Lynx

How long do you have to read the list?

Terry Terrell is a bit more country than the Hinsons, but good.  Get all of the Talley Trio you can find.  Stan Cook. 

... My brain stalled out.  I'll check with my library and compile a list of that genre in a few.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Lynx

1000 Generations
Selah
Larry Carter
Tim and Lana Chandler (strongly recommended)
earlier Karen Harding
some of the first Wayne Watson, if you can find his earliest albums
Joni Eareckson-Tada, especially her album Spirit Wings
McFalls
McGruders
Holleys
Janet Paschal... *maybe*  Good singer, but might be on the edge of your preferred style
Wilbanks:  If you like the Crabbs you'll like Wilbanks for sure
Greenes
Fox Brothers
Lenny LeBlanc
ooooooh... the Paynes, gotta get them.  Especially their live album "Fire on stage."  Yes, I know it sounds self-aggrandizing, but this is one of the rare cases where the title is spot-on.
Lanny Wolfe Trio

That's all I know that will fit those parameters and is tested-good.  You can listen to clips of a lot of them on amazon.com's music store.  Some of these groups I only have one album of, so if you hit a more recent album and hate it, it's probably because they changed a lot between when they made the album I have and what you heard.
"Do you sing at church?"

Tricia Lea

Soooo do you think people on GP are insane?

Lynx

What gave you that idea?

Whatever happened to that question thread?

Don't ya just love answering questions with questions? :D
"Do you sing at church?"

EricShane

Quote from: Psalm_97 on March 22, 2011, 11:13:07 PM
I just finished my dinner - a fish sandwich from my workplace, plus mushroom and plus a fried chicken patty.  I don't usually take advantage of the maintenance man type free meal I am entitled to when I work a maintenance job, but I've been eating a lot of veggies lately and just wanted something bad for me.  :D
What do you work on at your job?
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

Lynx

I work at a fast food factory.  This is ironic because I happen to enjoy real food and have a profound dislike of fast food - and now I'm working at the poster boy of fast food, McDonald's. 
"Do you sing at church?"

EricShane

reeeeally? *shudders*

Im sure you could tell some stories... *shudders again*
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

Lynx

That would be an unethical conflict of interest...

Actually I have no horror stories.  We run a tight ship at my store.  It's still fast food though, and my body just feels blah when I eat that so-called beef.  Not that it's poison, but my stomach keeps telling me my body won't get anything at all out of this junk.  I bring my own lunch.
"Do you sing at church?"

EricShane

WOW thanks for the private message telling me the truth, all those horror stories are aweful!!!

lol jk! he never sent me any pm's haha

Lynx

I think the Bible says something about the eventual fate of liars...
"Do you sing at church?"

EricShane

lol..................

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

*repost*
Quote from: YooperYankDude on March 23, 2011, 04:42:18 AM
We are actually planning to use a CP-300 to record my Pastors songs... I have bought numerous programs... and finally settled on one, but am definitely an amateur when it comes to recording software, and need to find a good teaching program or school on running a sound system as well... we have Piano, Accoustic Guitar (a six and 12 string) and a bass to record, and possibly drums, but I know the program we are using can digitally add drums... Using an Mbox 2 and ProTools LE.

Feed The Bachelors 2010

Lynx

Quote from: YooperYankDude on March 23, 2011, 04:42:18 AM
We are actually planning to use a CP-300 to record my Pastors songs... I have bought numerous programs... and finally settled on one, but am definitely an amateur when it comes to recording software, and need to find a good teaching program or school on running a sound system as well... we have Piano, Accoustic Guitar (a six and 12 string) and a bass to record, and possibly drums, but I know the program we are using can digitally add drums... Using an Mbox 2 and ProTools LE.
Eewwww. ProTools.  They were pioneers in the field at one time, but now they are just a bloated dinosaur.  But if you have an early version, and if you already paid for it, no reason to not use it.

If you want something else, I use Reaper and recommend it.  Here are some tutorials for recording, editing, syncing everything to the beat (yes you CAN do that with audio, easily) and punching up the drums a bit with a sample trigger, among other things.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pipelineaudio+reaper&aq=o
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

He done beat me to the repost-e.   :-?

Oh, and Reaper is currently only $40.  And if you don't pay for it it will still work with full features indefinitely.  It's "uncrippled, non-expiring shareware" which basically means you don't have to pay for it at all to use it, but legally and ethically you really should.  I did.  :D
"Do you sing at church?"

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Yeah, I bought a slew of programs... and a Midi interface, and a few other things to be able to record directly from the sound system into my computer... then Pastor went and bought the MBox 2... but we are in the process of setting up our new school... so we've been too busy to even mess with it, and I dont play the piano, so I need someone there to actually play while I mess with everything.

You sound like you know a lot about this sort of thing... is this one of your passions?

Feed The Bachelors 2010

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

MBox 2 came with ProTools... that is why I have that one... lol

Feed The Bachelors 2010

Lynx

MBox is Digidesign, which is ProTools, and they're inextricably linked together - it's an exclusion thing.  Good news is you don't really need that for recording a simple stereo input to computer.  And for multiple channels recording it's useless.

And yes, I am somewhat into this stuff.  PM me where you live (general area, not too specific) and I'll tell you if I can pop up there some Saturday and work with you on this.  It's actually pretty easy once you get into it, but knowing enough to be able to figure out what questions to ask can be a kicker on start-up.
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

Whoa!  Yeah, a bit too far.  Continue asking here as long as you want though, or I can PM you my phone number on request.  This kind of thing you can learn all about, or learn the parts you want to do, over the phone or through this forum. 

Did you want to record multiple channels, like each singer and musician on his own separate channel for editing later?  Or did you just want to record a stereo mix off the soundboard?  For the former you will need a multi-in audio interface like the TASCAM 1800 and a good multitrack recorder/editor like Reaper or Cubase, but for the latter all you'll need is a cable from the sound board to your computer's mic port (and freeware Audacity to record it, no fancy programs.)  And did you want to digitally add drums live during church, or after the fact add drums to the recording?  If you want live drummer-in-a-box Jamstix is the thing.  For after-the-fact editing in drums any drum pack will do if you have the time to construct a drum beat.

Gone to bed, catch you tomorrow.
"Do you sing at church?"

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Haha... I thought it would be... lol

I'll write down some questions... and I'll PM you about the phone number later as well...

Feed The Bachelors 2010

Babs

i have an avi video that i want to make a 1-2 minute clip out of. have xp on the computer it is on. whats the best way to do it? (best=simplest)

Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

Lynx

I hear avidemux is good for editing video.  Haven't tried it myself but it's freeware and widely known and used, so should at least be safe to use.  If you need to transcribe to a different format MediaCoder is (as far as I know) still freeware.
"Do you sing at church?"

Babs

thanks.  have a video i want to copy just a short clip out of lol
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.