News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

getting back into church

Started by Alexandra, May 25, 2008, 11:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandra

ok I'm new to here and really don't know if this is the right area for this but thought i'd post it anyway.
I haven't been in church for a long time now. We since i was like 13 ( i'm 22 now) and i kind of have a few questions which may come across as being stupid..

I was wondering what does it mean to speak in tongues? I mean I understand that it's a sign of being filled with the holy ghost...But honestly how do i know if i am or not??? I was raised in a pentecostal church...but my family stopped going to church around the time i was 12 or 13 so i stopped going too...kinda of like monkey see monkey do. and i was young and really didn't understand what was going on then but now that i'm getting back into church i have a lot of questions that were never answered for me when i was younger... : :-?

confused,
Alexandra

Backseat Radio

Your best bet for getting questions answered is to go into the scripture and study the New Testament - especially the book of Acts.  Line up your salvation experience with what you see in the conversion accounts in the book of Acts and that will tell you what you need to know.

As for your question of what does it mean to speak in tongues... The examples in Acts show us that speaking in tongues is speaking in another language as the Spirit gives you the utterance.  In Acts chapter 2 you'll see that they named what language were heard on the day of Pentecost.

Mrs. Yosemite

Alexandra,

Welcome to Godplace. We are happy that you have joined us. Most of us here are filled with the Holy Ghost and we would be happy to help you with any questions you may have. I know people tell you to read the scriptures. And that is the best place to start, but some people need a little more help.

On forums, just be really careful because you will recieve alot of mixed up stuff from getting advice from different points of view from those who do not believe in recieving the Holy Ghost.  From being raised in Pentecost until that very important age when you were taken from the truth, I'm sure you have a basic knowledge of it all.

As far as knowing if you have recieved it or not, believe me you will know it. Nobody will have to tell you, "you got it".  Speaking in tongues is a sign that you have been filled, but if you recieve the genuine thing, there will be no doubt in your mind. You will know and there is really no way anybody can explain a chocolate cake until you taste if for yourself! I am sure some other prayer warriors on here would be happy to answer you questions as well, if there is something that I dont know. lol  Nice to meet you. My name is Sam.

Chseeads

Have you found yourself a church home yet?  If so, don't fail to utilize the resources you have available there of talking with your pastor about these things. 

Alexandra

ok thanks everyone...I do have the basic concept of this so I think I'll just do as suggested and read the book of Acts...again thanks :thumbsup2:

Alexandra

yosemite

Acts is a great place to start!! though not the only place.. what about the four gospels? this is the start of the new covenant and lays the foundation of what acts are about. john 3:5 (if you believe Jesus you should also follow his command), john 3:16 (don't get should not confused with would not)mat 16:18-19 ( peter was given the keys to the kingdom and were used in acts 2:38) then from there the acts is applied- peter preached and their hearts were pricked(for the foolishness of preaching, you need a preacher) then he commanded them to repent, be baptised in the name of Jesus and receive the gift of the HG.(in the gospels you'll see a slight difference in baptisim only because the covenant had not yet been sealed with the blood of the sacrifice) the rest of the acts stresses obedience and the need and evidence of HG.

Start where you will. I'm glad to see you start. but like it was said before, and now again, i hope you can find a like faith church and use the tools (gifts) of that church. there are those here that can answer your questions and give insight and encouragement. don't forsake having a home church though.

-yo
My conscience is captive to the Word of God.Thus I cannot and will not recant, for going against my conscience is neither safe nor salutary. I can do no other, here i stand, God help me. Amen      -Martin Luther

Alexandra

Quote from: yosemite on May 26, 2008, 07:32:07 PM
Acts is a great place to start!! though not the only place.. what about the four gospels? this is the start of the new covenant and lays the foundation of what acts are about. john 3:5 (if you believe Jesus you should also follow his command), john 3:16 (don't get should not confused with would not)mat 16:18-19 ( peter was given the keys to the kingdom and were used in acts 2:38) then from there the acts is applied- peter preached and their hearts were pricked(for the foolishness of preaching, you need a preacher) then he commanded them to repent, be baptised in the name of Jesus and receive the gift of the HG.(in the gospels you'll see a slight difference in baptisim only because the covenant had not yet been sealed with the blood of the sacrifice) the rest of the acts stresses obedience and the need and evidence of HG.

Start where you will. I'm glad to see you start. but like it was said before, and now again, i hope you can find a like faith church and use the tools (gifts) of that church. there are those here that can answer your questions and give insight and encouragement. don't forsake having a home church though.

-yo

I have just started going back to church...at what seems to be a really great church and most likely the church i will continue to go to...so i won't be afraid to ask them for answers on the questions i have... and i won't be afraid to ask for help and understanding as well be it there or on here...thanks for the great feedback everyone...may God bless you each and everyday...

Alexandra

Raven180

Just remember, Alexandra, it's not enough to just go to a place where God's church meets. That will not "get you back into church".

Getting into "church" is a spiritual experience the Bible describes this way:

Galatians 3:27,

27. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

And Romans 6:3,

3. Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4. Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection

1 Corinthians 12:13,

13. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

If you truly want to get "into" the church, make certain that you are baptized, i.e. immersed into Christ and also seek to be immersed, i.e. baptized into His Body by the Spirit.

Think of it this way:

With the first baptism, you are immersing yourself into Jesus, i.e. His death and burial, so that you can be resurrected and walk in newness of life (Water Baptism a la Galatians 3:27, Romans 6:3 and elsewhere).

With the second baptism, Jesus is immersing Himself into you (Spirit Baptism a la 1 Cor. 12:13 and elsewhere).

God bless your Journey,

Aaron
Luke 12:24,

24. Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them...

Max_Kolbe

Quote from: bsr on May 26, 2008, 12:57:28 AM
Your best bet for getting questions answered is to go into the scripture and study the New Testament - especially the book of Acts.  Line up your salvation experience with what you see in the conversion accounts in the book of Acts and that will tell you what you need to know.

As for your question of what does it mean to speak in tongues... The examples in Acts show us that speaking in tongues is speaking in another language as the Spirit gives you the utterance.  In Acts chapter 2 you'll see that they named what language were heard on the day of Pentecost.

Isn't there a difference between speaking in tongues and praying in tongues?  My understanding is that speaking in tongues is public and requires and interpreter and that praying in tongues is private and for personal edification or for when praying about something we don't have the words for.

Chseeads

There's a difference between giving a message in tongues to a congregation - that should be interpreted, and in just praying/worshipping and speaking in tongues. 

titushome

Quote from: Chseeads on June 30, 2008, 02:06:00 AM
There's a difference between giving a message in tongues to a congregation - that should be interpreted, and in just praying/worshipping and speaking in tongues. 

I think that's more or less what Max said.
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

Chseeads

I figured he was making a distinction between any speaking in tongues in a public worship setting at all, versus praying in private.

But that was just an inference on my part perhaps.

yosemite

i feel that when you first receive the HolyGhost and speak in tongues that there doesnt have to be an interpreter, though it isnt imposible. and yes Max, in general a message in tongues does have a interpreter but not on receiving of HolyGhost. on speacial cases an interpreter may be there though. on the day of pentacost i havent read of any interpreters on the initial infilling of the HolyGhost.
My conscience is captive to the Word of God.Thus I cannot and will not recant, for going against my conscience is neither safe nor salutary. I can do no other, here i stand, God help me. Amen      -Martin Luther

mesipie

there doesnt have to be an interpreter when u are filled with the HG...

yo....it does say that those in the streets heard them all speaking in their own languages tho...

acts 2
4And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

5And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

6Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

7And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

8And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

9Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
its mesi: mee see...not messy

messaypah to only a certain few...lol...

yosemite

by interpretor i mean a chosen one to reveal a message from God, not just any one who speaks the language that the tongues came in on the infilling of the HolyGhost.

there have been some people to get the HolyGhost and others there who spoke the language knew what they said but it was not a message to the congregation.