What has changed?

Started by ChangedByGod, August 30, 2008, 01:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Dad

Quote from: bsr on September 19, 2008, 07:01:14 PM
A hurting person can also eventually get to where they'll push away any attempts to help them.

This does not excuse me from giving my very best effort to let the hurt person know I care.  Also the Lord teaches forgiveness so a hurt person would either have to wind up lost or find a place of forgiveness and pray for those who ignored them in their time of need.  Also a hurt person could use their experience to better help others in the future.  There is no way they could even feel comfortable in false doctrine as long as hatred is in their hearts.
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

ChangedByGod

This topic brought up somthing I remember hearing preached a long time ago.
The preacher was refering to how many will use the parable of the prodigals son to say when they are ready they will come back but if you think about it there is one parable of that happening and yet there are 2 parables of the backsliders being sought
Luke 15:3-10 (KJV)3 And he spake this parable unto them, saying,   4 What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?   5 And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.   6 And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.   7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.   8 Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it?   9 And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece which I had lost.   10 Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.   

He said many times we forget its our job as a church to go find and bring them back. We get the attitude they left let them come back

Brother Dad

Yes we can set and see where the Church is falling short.  The Big qeustion is what am I going to do about it.  Maybe sometimes when we feel hurt and isolated, we can look around for someone hurting more than I am.  My lifting up someone else it might make me a new friend as well as saving a Child of God.
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Brother Dad

Outreach is very inportant to the growth of a Church but we must not forget about inreach.  Inreach where we are reaching for each other in the body of Christ.

ChangedByGod

I know this may be rare but I remember hearing of a church that had a ministry specificly targeting backsliders

Brother Dad

I know when I pastored sometimes when we had outreach we just went and visited the folks who have not been coming to Church.  We must bring in new folks, but also must do our best to keep the body together.

Brother Dad

I would suggest we all ask ourselves these questions.

1. What am I expecting from Church?

2. What am I willing to give to Church?

If we would ask ourselves these two question I feel we would look at Church a little different.

Rattlesnake

What little a righteous man has, is better than the riches of many wicked.

A word fitly spoken is better than apples of gold in pictures of silver

Brother Dad

Come one come all, let us encourage one another.  We need each other.

Rattlesnake

Thanks Bro. Dad!

bsr did make some very enlighting comments! It would behoove us all, as Bro. Dad so eloquently put it, "to check our love level"! Out reach is a great thing and is needed very much, but if we do not have an inreach, how will we expect to keep the ones who are brought in by the out reach!!! Well said Bro. Dad and bsr!!

Brother Dad

One thing we must be careful about is not wearing our feelings on our shirt sleeve.  Remember this is about Jesus.  We all will become hurt from time to time, I know I have been hurt.  But Church is not about me, but about Jesus Christ.  I must remember what I am going for so that I may be a blessing to others.  I remember when I was a kid sometimes I would get a sore and it would itch.  My mom would say don't scratch it or you will have a scar.  This is true in our Spiritual life as well.  When we become hurt if we scratch the sore place everytime we get the chance we make it worse.  After a while we will have a scar for life.  I have found when I get hurt just to talk to God that much more.  When I feel longly reach out to someone.  When I try to lift up someone else and help them carry their burden, then mine seems to become so much lighter.

Backseat Radio

Quote from: ChangedByGod on September 20, 2008, 02:47:43 PM
I know this may be rare but I remember hearing of a church that had a ministry specificly targeting backsliders

Good ministry to backsliders is actually a very rare thing from what I've experienced.  In my time being unstable and even completley quitting the Apostolic faith here's what I discovered...

1)  most churches will only call the person a time or two to find out whats going on when that person leaves the church.  I actually had a church that never even bothered to call to find out whats going on.  That particular church taught that if someone left the church they were to be considered as a bowel movement and not needed.

2)  when I completley left the apostolic faith and moved to go to college, the churches in the area of the college didn't even know I was around and didn't even make contact with me until after I'd gone to visit a service there.  Then even after I'd visited a service they sometimes didn't seem to be too interested in actively trying to minister to me.

3)  I've also found that alot of churches don't take initative to help the backslider or soon to be backslider break the fear barrier that keeps them from going to the alter and praying.  Been in lots of services that I wanted to go pray but I was too terrified to step out.

Brother Dad

Quote from: bsr on September 20, 2008, 03:31:41 PM
 Been in lots of services that I wanted to go pray but I was too terrified to step out.

What would you like to see done to fix this?  How could the Church better serve those who have backslid?  Maybe you and God could channel your own experiences into something positive that would help the Church.

Backseat Radio

Quote from: Brother Dad on September 20, 2008, 01:09:52 AM
Quote from: bsr on September 19, 2008, 07:01:14 PM
A hurting person can also eventually get to where they'll push away any attempts to help them.

This does not excuse me from giving my very best effort to let the hurt person know I care.  Also the Lord teaches forgiveness so a hurt person would either have to wind up lost or find a place of forgiveness and pray for those who ignored them in their time of need.  Also a hurt person could use their experience to better help others in the future.  There is no way they could even feel comfortable in false doctrine as long as hatred is in their hearts.

Your right, just because the person pushes us away doesn't excuse us from trying to help the hurting person.  Actually those that have progressed to that point need someone who's persistant in praying and showing care.  Ultimately it is the individuals decision whether or not they'll let hurt destroy them.

Backseat Radio

Quote from: Brother Dad on September 20, 2008, 03:40:25 PM
 Been in lots of services that I wanted to go pray but I was too terrified to step out.

What would you like to see done to fix this?  How could the Church better serve those who have backslid? 

As far as alter calls, a church should have a few seasoned saints that are willing to be the ice breakers by going to the alter so the person doesn't feel like they have to be up there alone as a spectacle in front of everyone.  Also if you notice someone in the crowd that you know is struggling in their walk with God or has been out of the church for a while, just simply stepping over to them and asking "would you like to go pray" and being willing to go up with them is all  the ice breaker some need.

Backseat Radio

Quote from: Rattlesnake on September 20, 2008, 03:07:08 PM
bsr did make some very enlighting comments!

The comments I've made on here is my obervations from my own journey through emotional collapse, bitterness, questioning the doctrine, seeking help, not finding the help I needed, and eventually turning away from the apostolic teachings.

Rattlesnake

If you will excuse me bro's and sistersin the Lord, I have to go to the bank, I shall return shortly. Please pray for me, I was supposed to sing for the Woodmen of the world today, but can hardly talk this morning! Bronchitis at it's worst!!!

ChangedByGod

Quote from: bsr on September 20, 2008, 03:59:36 PM
Quote from: Rattlesnake on September 20, 2008, 03:07:08 PM
bsr did make some very enlighting comments!

The comments I've made on here is my obervations from my own journey through emotional collapse, bitterness, questioning the doctrine, seeking help, not finding the help I needed, and eventually turning away from the apostolic teachings.

I would have to say realizing the problem and where it lies is the first step but not the only step and BSR I am not just refering to you but I myself am in the process of trying to return too,  I am realizing the second step is even harder.
What are we going to do from here? Believe me I know its easy to sit and dwell on whats wrong, but I know I am trying to get to focus more on what can I do to make it right in my life. Those that have hurt me are not the ones that are going to have to face God on my behalf. I am.   Believe me I know the moving on part is hard but we need to fight for what we know is right.
It maay be a struggle but wont it be worth it in the end?

ChangedByGod

Here are a couple things I found online I think speak volumes

QuoteCry of a Backslider
Have you ever wondered what goes thru the mind of a backslider, do they ever think about God? Does God ever deal with them??? Do they miss the things of God?? To all of these questions the answer is yes.

So many times backsliders are looking for someone that cares, someone who is not afraid to speak to them about the goodness of God, of his Love, and not whats wrong in the church. Some backsliders leave because they were not allowed enought time to be grounded in truth, others because of things that happen they don't understand.

Does it always take preaching the Word to these to see them saved. In truth there is nothing you can preach or say that will move them. Let me explain ......when a backslider leaves God, God doesn't leave them, He is sealed to them, they wear the Name of God Almighty in baptism.

Though God may not dwell within them because of some sin, He said I will never leave you nor forsake you. If you were to ask any backslider what they feel, many, if they were honest, would tell you, miserable. You see God can't use them, because of the state they're in and the Devil doesn't want them. So to eliminate these feelings many backsliders turn to the beggerly elements of the world, drinking, drugs, or anything else that will remove the emptiness within them.
   Have You ever wondered what battles the backslider must face everyday? Knowing that within him is the knowledge of the One True God. Yet for all of this, here he sits in a backslidden condition unable to make his way back to Calvary. The is a struggle everyday just to face the world and know that he really doesn't fit in it for on him is the precious name of Jesus.

How many times does he say to himself, "I need to go back to church", only to have the enemy of his soul send something to distract him. How many times has he walked or driven by the church and heard the singing and preaching and started to go in, only at the last minute to turn away. Once more defeated by the enemy of his soul.

You see the life of a backslider is one of turmoil. Never able to come to grips with the desire to completely make a change and turn himself around. Always looking, always listening, trying to stay as close to those in the church without he himself having to make that dedication.

Many nights as he sits in his lonely world trying to remove the craving and desire to live for God, he falls upon the beggerly elements of this world to take away his pain, never really able to drown out the voice of God calling, even in his sinful binge.

Each drink, each drug, or any other sinful thing is there solely for the purpose of deadening the pain of knowing that they are bound for hell and can't seem to get off this roller-coaster ride.

When he finally gets the nerve to one day darken the doors of church, the struggle that goes on within him only grows stronger. He has made the first step....some people never really realize how hard it is even for the backslider to get this far.

Then the fight begins, for you see, the minute the backslider steps through the door there is a tug upon his soul, a drawing that happens that no one can see, yet for all of this he stands feeling unworthy to even be in God's house, let alone asking God for his help. Standing knuckles white from grasping the pew in front of him the battle rages.

He knows that all it will take is letting go of the pew and God will do the rest. But for everything within him he can't seem to release his grip and the battle continues. Torn between the love he truly feels for God and feeling the guilt of the sins he has committed, he is spell bound, unable to make that move for deliverance. Yet God continues to call, to draw, to show his love for this child who has strayed from the fold.

Finally the time has come, he must make a decision. Sometimes his direction will lead to an alter where tears of repentance flows. Other times, sad to say, the steps of this lost child are toward the door thankful to once again be released from the call of the Master.

Knowing full well that later that night the cry of this backslider starts all over again. Everything you can ever say to a backslider, he has already preached it to himself.

QuoteThe Silent Preacher

Within each and every backslider there lives a silent preacher. He doesn't have a pulpit, you never see him in a suit and tie. He never takes up an offering. But what he will do is in the wee hours of the morning when the world is asleep,he mounts his lonely place in your heart and begins to speak.There is no elegance to His words, no music to add suspense or even heighten His words.

All He has is an audience to which He much reach deep down into the areas where hurt and despair dwell. He must in a brief few moments between slumber and wakefulness move that piece of God that has been left from when this person walked with God. He must use Words like Love, and Hope.

He must walk into areas that have been closed off to all men, the area where hurt hangs its hat, and is foreman of this soul. Where despair and heart-ache laugh and have a good time as they slowly try to close all doors that were once opened to God. This silent preacher gets no recognition, no awards, no meals. He is never called upon to Preach a church service, or even to lead a testimony.

All His job consists of is to move the backslider to a place where God can once again deal with him. This Preacher though never preaching a Camp-meeting or even a fellowship meeting has preached more sermons in his time than all the other ministers put together, this silent preachers name you ask ........Your Conscience.

If every backslider were honest they would tell you the worst preacher they have to listen to is this still small voice in the wee hours of the morning, because you can't shut him out, turn him off or even drowned him out with noise.

Brother Dad

Quote from: bsr on September 20, 2008, 03:53:28 PM
Quote from: Brother Dad on September 20, 2008, 03:40:25 PM

What would you like to see done to fix this?  How could the Church better serve those who have backslid? 

As far as alter calls, a church should have a few seasoned saints that are willing to be the ice breakers by going to the alter so the person doesn't feel like they have to be up there alone as a spectacle in front of everyone.  Also if you notice someone in the crowd that you know is struggling in their walk with God or has been out of the church for a while, just simply stepping over to them and asking "would you like to go pray" and being willing to go up with them is all  the ice breaker some need.

Many Churches now are having everyone come to front and pray at the end of the service so people don't feel like everyone is watching them.  By doing this we can begin to pray one for another and feel the burdens.

Brother Dad

I must confess that the posting of BSR and changedbyGod have cause me to have a greater burden for the backslider and the hurting.  I will pray and reach out to them like I never had.  I do not wish to make them feel that I am judging them, but loving them.  If we are to have revival then we must have restoration.  We must reach the new converts but we must also reach our backsliders.  Where would some of us be today if someone had not reached for us when we strayed.

Backseat Radio

Quote from: Brother Dad on September 21, 2008, 03:23:01 AM
Many Churches now are having everyone come to front and pray at the end of the service so people don't feel like everyone is watching them.  By doing this we can begin to pray one for another and feel the burdens.

I have seen churches do this and I'll agree it does help a lot both with breaking the ice and with being able to pray for one another.  My current church doesn't always have alter calls. 

Backseat Radio

Quote from: ChangedByGod on September 20, 2008, 06:31:08 PM
I would have to say realizing the problem and where it lies is the first step but not the only step and BSR I am not just refering to you but I myself am in the process of trying to return too,  I am realizing the second step is even harder.

Anymore I'm not sure the apostolic faith is really where I belong

Brother Dad

Quote from: bsr on September 21, 2008, 04:08:53 AM
Quote from: ChangedByGod on September 20, 2008, 06:31:08 PM

Anymore I'm not sure the apostolic faith is really where I belong

Well that is all there is.  What you need to do is get in there and stand for what is right.  And ask God to show you where you can be used to help others that are hurting.  Anyone can run and hide, but it takes someone that really cares to stand up and make a difference.

ChangedByGod

just be careful, sometimes other routes may seem easier or even a better route but can leave us lacking in the end and cause more problems than what we thought we were walking away from