News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Crockpot recipes

Started by SippinTea, November 20, 2009, 11:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SippinTea

My family has been using our crockpot a LOT lately, and I'm watching for new recipes to add to our list of favorites. We like healthy, budget-minded stuff, and I'm hoping you GP cooks will share a few of your favorite recipes with us. :)

And if anyone else is interested in the same type stuff, I'd be happy to post some of ours...

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

MelodyB

Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Ashlee

Please post some of yours Ruby! :hyper: The only thing I know is soup..well, and a few other things. I'll post some when I can remember my name and how old I am and where I live and all that stuff..right now I'm sleepy.

SippinTea

Okay, will do... when I can remember my name and how old I am, and... yeah, that. *lol*

RainbowJingles

Okay....  so it's not healthy by any stretch of the imagination, but last year I made the mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner at my friends' home.  Since I had to make them in advance or get in the way in her kitchen once I arrived, I found a recipe that allows me to keep the taters in the crockpot.

The secret ingredients?  Sour cream and cream cheese!  And YES, they taste REALLY good!

Mash the taters like normal and add whatever you usually do.  Then add the sour cream and cream cheese.  Keep in the crockpot on warm for a couple hours (until the turkey's done) and then add a stick of butter.  Mmmmmmm!

MelodyB

Sounds RICH. :o

Ruby, your name is Ruby, you are 28, but will be 29 in 28 more days. You live in OR, dreadfully far away from your east coast friends, and now you can post some recipies.

;) 
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

RainbowJingles

It IS rich, Mel.  But once it's been in the crock pot for a couple hours, it just tastes creamy.  I use the electric mixer to blend it all together, and people who don't know what's in it don't suspect.  And they taste REALLY creamy!!

Scott

This is very simple

4 Chicken Breasts

Tomato Basil Salad Dressing

Place in the crock pot on low, cover with the salad dressing and cook 8 hours.

Serve on Rice or with taters and your favorite Veggies.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Scott

V 8 pinante' veggie (tomato) Juice - one can

Pour into to crock pot

2 tomatoes diced
1 or 2 onions diced
1 or 2 pieces of celery diced
1 red bell pepper diced
1 yellow bell pepper diced
2 cans of spicy beans
1 pound of ground chicken or beef
(in lieu of meat, added corn, peas, carrots and or potatoes)

Add additional chili or hot spices depending on your taste (I like to add a small bottle of Louisiana Hot Sauce)

Cook all day (8 hours) on low.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Scott

Take same recipe as above...

Use Chicken broth...

2 to 3 potatoes
1 or 2 cans of corn (Drained)
1 or 2 cans (Drained)
1 or 2 cans  (Drained)
2 to 4 carrots (diced)
2 to 4 pieces of celery (diced)
2 rutabagas
1 (diced) bell pepper (Green)
1 (diced) bell pepper (Yellow)

Cook 8 hours on low, season to taste.

The Never Ending Battle

SippinTea

Elona, my mom tried mashed potatoes in the crock pot one year for Thanksgiving, too, and we loved them! Yum!

Scott, thanks for posting those. They look exactly like the kind of stuff my family likes. :)

Mel - BOL! Thanks for the help. ;) Now I can post some recipes for you and Ashlee. *grin*

No-Fuss Potato Soup

6 cups cubed peeled potatoes
5 cups water
2 cups chopped onion
½ cup chopped celery
½ cup thinly sliced carrots
2 T. butter or margarine
4 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
2 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
3 T. chopped fresh parsley

In 4 qt. crock pot, combine the first nine ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 7 hours or until the vegetables are tender. Add milk and parsley; mix well. Cover until heated through.

Servings: 8-10

This one is an all-time fav around here. It's 'specially good served with hot-from-the-oven muffins. :thumbsup2:

SippinTea

Chicken Ole'
(Crock pot)

1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 (7 oz.) can diced green chilies (mild)
1 cup sour cream
1 T. grated or finely chopped onion
12 corn tortillas, cut into 6 or 8 pieces each
4 cups coarsely chopped cooked chicken or turkey
¾ cup (3 oz) shredded cheddar cheese

Lightly grease sides and bottom of crock pot. Combine soups, salsa, sour cream, and onion in a bowl. In crock pot, arrange alternating layers of tortillas with chicken and soup mixture. Cover and cook on low 4-5 hours. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook on low 5 or 10 minutes until cheese melts.

Servings: 8

The original recipe was considerably spicier than our modification. The guys around here loved it, but mom and I couldn't handle it that hot. I think the original called for a can of green chile salsa, if you spicy-food lovers want to try it hotter. :)