News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

Ex 12:1-13

Started by clark thompson, June 04, 2014, 02:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clark thompson

Exodus 12:1-13

King James Version (KJV)

12 And the Lord spake unto Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt saying,

2 This month shall be unto you the beginning of months: it shall be the first month of the year to you.

3 Speak ye unto all the congregation of Israel, saying, In the tenth day of this month they shall take to them every man a lamb, according to the house of their fathers, a lamb for an house:

4 And if the household be too little for the lamb, let him and his neighbour next unto his house take it according to the number of the souls; every man according to his eating shall make your count for the lamb.

5 Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year: ye shall take it out from the sheep, or from the goats:

6 And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening.

7 And they shall take of the blood, and strike it on the two side posts and on the upper door post of the houses, wherein they shall eat it.

8 And they shall eat the flesh in that night, roast with fire, and unleavened bread; and with bitter herbs they shall eat it.

9 Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

10 And ye shall let nothing of it remain until the morning; and that which remaineth of it until the morning ye shall burn with fire.

11 And thus shall ye eat it; with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it in haste: it is the Lord's passover.

12 For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the Lord.

13 And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.

Exodus 12:1-13

Revised Standard Version (RSV)

The First Passover Instituted

12 The Lord said to Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt,  2 "This month shall be for you the beginning of months; it shall be the first month of the year for you.  3 Tell all the congregation of Israel that on the tenth day of this month they shall take every man a lamb according to their fathers' houses, a lamb for a household;  4 and if the household is too small for a lamb, then a man and his neighbor next to his house shall take according to the number of persons; according to what each can eat you shall make your count for the lamb.  5 Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male a year old; you shall take it from the sheep or from the goats;  6 and you shall keep it until the fourteenth day of this month, when the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill their lambs in the evening.  7 Then they shall take some of the blood, and put it on the two doorposts and the lintel of the houses in which they eat them.  8 They shall eat the flesh that night, roasted; with unleavened bread and bitter herbs they shall eat it.  9 Do not eat any of it raw or boiled with water, but roasted, its head with its legs and its inner parts.  10 And you shall let none of it remain until the morning, anything that remains until the morning you shall burn.  11 In this manner you shall eat it: your loins girded, your sandals on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and you shall eat it in haste. It is the Lord's passover.  12 For I will pass through the land of Egypt that night, and I will smite all the first-born in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and on all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgments: I am the Lord.  13 The blood shall be a sign for you, upon the houses where you are; and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and no plague shall fall upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

1 The Lord at this time only spoke thru or to Moses and Aaron.

2 The first month, the Jewish year started with preparation for Passover.

3 The lamb was representing each family or household. This here shows that one lamb can cover the sins of more then one.

4 The same of lamb was based off what they would eat if the entire lamb they were to share it with their neighbors. I am glad God shared His Lamb with us. By eating of the lamb one accepted and received the covering of sins. Today in remembrance we do communion.

5 They were to choose the best. No defect no females and no babies. They would later break this and start to bring lame lamb after the return from exile.

6 So there are to care for them. This shows that we hold our sins dear if we did not we would not do them. This also allows the lamb to feed and to get fat for 14 days. Then they kill them this shows that we need to be willing to put an end to our sin, I am glad Christ put an end to sin.

7 They were to put the blood on the door posts of where they eat.

8 Yeast symbolized sin so they were to remove the yeast which shows them removing sin from their homes and life.

9 They had t roast the meat; Eli's sons would boil the meat and break this command.

10 They were to eat all the offering and to destroy the rest that went uneaten. We are to take our fill in Christ and after we have this fill we do not need more.

11 They had to eat as if they were to move. Sandals would allow them to be ready to put their feet on the ground and move. Those having their cloak in their belt would prevent it from tripping them as they went. The staff would protect them as they went. The Lord is the staff.
12 This plague would bring judgment on the god of Pharaoh himself because the son of Pharaoh the heir to the throne would be killed. Pharaoh and his line were viewed as gods.

13 We have to have the blood to be passed over. The blood of Christ allows us to be passed over judgment and allows us to have life.

Revised Standard Version (RSV)
Revised Standard Version of the Bible, copyright © 1946, 1952, and 1971 the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

The Lord made a Way.